British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Passing of a Forum member (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76049)

irish 18-11-19 03:34 PM

Passing of a Forum member

I was sad to hear today that Stephen Risby “badjez” has passed away. I had communicated with Stephen in the past and always found his posts informative. A package with formation signs sent to him had just arrived but unfortunately he had passed the day prior. This being communicated to me by his wife. Let us all remember Stephen as a good fellow and collector.

manchesters 18-11-19 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irish (Post 492668)
I was sad to hear today that Stephen Risby “badjez” has passed away. I had communicated with Stephen in the past and always found his posts informative. A package with formation signs sent to him had just arrived but unfortunately he had passed the day prior. This being communicated to me by his wife. Let us all remember Stephen as a good fellow and collector.

Thats sad, have dealt with steve a few times in the past.
RIP

arrestingu 18-11-19 03:42 PM

...very sad ,it always seems the nicest people go to soon ..may he rest in peace.

Roy 18-11-19 03:51 PM

Very sad to hear this.

Roy

grey_green_acorn 18-11-19 03:57 PM

Very sad news, I too had exchanged information with Stephen in the recent past and he was a stalwart member of the Military Heraldry Society and contributor to the Formation Sign and this forum.

RIP

Tim

Bill A 18-11-19 04:41 PM

My condolences to Stephen's wife, family and friends.

Postwarden 18-11-19 04:44 PM

A very sad loss of a knowledgeable gentleman who contributed a great deal to our hobby.

Jon

leigh kitchen 18-11-19 04:45 PM

Yes, sad news.
I met he and his wife just the once, a year or two ago when they stopped off on a short visit.
Nice people.

Sonofacqms 18-11-19 04:56 PM

Stephen will be missed I'm sure by all who knew him and who he shared his knowledge with, but especially his family.

I met him a few times at Bedford Arms Fair and found him a great and knowledgeable fellow badge collector.

RIP Stephen

Rob

mooke07 18-11-19 06:00 PM

A sad loss and my thoughts and prayers are with his family. We corresponded and shared a keen interest in things East Anglian. I shall miss him.

Dean

gb64 18-11-19 06:07 PM

A sad loss indeed, condolences to his family & friends

Gerard

Peter Brydon 18-11-19 06:26 PM

I met Stephen and Helen on a number of occasions both at MHS meetings and a couple of times when they came to my home when they were back visiting the Uk. We have lost a great friend of the Forum
and an enthusiastic military historian.

Very very sad news.

P.B.

slick_mick 18-11-19 07:10 PM

Oh wow! That is really sad news.

May he Rest In Peace.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Mick

tonyb 18-11-19 07:28 PM

Very sad news, condolences to his family.
Tony.

Mick104450 18-11-19 07:37 PM

Yes a really sad time,condolences to his wife and family.

billy 18-11-19 08:06 PM

Sad news please pass on my condolences to his Family also, R.I.P.

KLR 18-11-19 08:09 PM

I first met him at the National Archives a few years ago - busy looking up badge records! We swapped details over the years and he and Helen came to visit me at the museum. I know he liked Australia but that meant that his many friends in the UK didn't see him as much as we used to do.
My deepest condolences to Helen and his son.

Fatboy Ken 18-11-19 08:30 PM

Hiya guys,

Firstly can i say "Thank you" for letting us all know.

So very sorry to hear this news.
Please pass on my condolences to Stephens family and friends.

RIP buddy

Ken (The Fatboy)

Luke H 18-11-19 10:07 PM

Very sad news indeed. Deepest sympathies to his family and friends.

Fatherofthree 18-11-19 10:43 PM

Very sad news.

A Top Bloke, knew him reasonably well, both coming from the same background.

I knew he was ill, but didn't realise just how bad. In fact on the last occasion we met he informed me how his illness was taking over and affecting his life, but that he would try and fight it and continue to enjoy his hobby.

We shared an interest in The Essex Regiment and I took him to the museum on a couple of occasions to chat with Keith and Ian there.

He was certainly a proficient researcher and historian of many things military.

If anybody is passing on sentiments and messages to the family, please offer my sympathy to Helen.

Thanks.

Brian

dubaiguy 18-11-19 10:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm very sorry to hear this.

For some reason, I kept this photo, so I could put a face to some of the prolific posters on the forum. I think it was posted by Fat Boy Ken some 8 or 9 years ago. Stephen is on the left I think.

Mark

Expat Yeoman 19-11-19 02:09 AM

That is very sad news. We corresponded but never got to meet when both in the UK and I had hoped to remedy that with us both now in Australia. He was incredibly knowledgeable and always happy to share his research and interests and a great help to me on all things East Anglian.

My condolences to all his family.

Michael

hagwalther 19-11-19 02:21 AM

Sad news from Australia.

I first met 'Badjez' back in 2012 when I was researching anodised aluminium cap badges in the UK. We met at the local railway station and he took me to his house on the outskirts of Luton. He had, if I remember, a quite small collection compared to many but what he had was always top quality with many rare pieces.

We kept in touch over various forms of documentation and the odd "rare 'un" that occasionally came our ways.

Unfortunately, Stephen's health deteriorated over the years to the most debilitating condition when communication was only possible via his keyboard having lost even his power of speech. A most distressing way to see ones days out. However, Stephen always retained his sense of humour and took a positive approach to his condition. 'Black humour' was always to the front and while I should have known better he did make me laugh on many occasions regarding his predicament.

A special note must be made to Helen who nursed him at home for many years caring for all of Stephen's needs. There is nothing more noble than caring for the sick and Helen is to be remembered and admired for her long and continued devotion to our former forum member.

Chris Marsh

New Zealand

Flatdog 19-11-19 04:29 AM

Godspeed my dear friend,

Heartfelt condolences to Family.

Clay

Marcus H 19-11-19 08:38 AM

This is terribly sad news.

My most sincere condolences to Stephen’s family and friends.

Marcus

norfolk regt man 19-11-19 08:45 AM

Such a shame, he was a bit of a corner stone for me and my collecting interests, as we both liked the same stuff.Got to meet him here at Norwich a couple of times, but he never let on that he was ill.

Will miss his wants emails.

oc14 19-11-19 09:00 AM

Very sad news indeed, met him several times at MHS meetings in Derby and also at Bedford Arms fair, a really nice guy and an enthusiastic collector who was always willing to share his knowledge with others.

Like others I didn't know that he was ill. Another good one gone too soon, a sad loss for his family and the hobby.

PL

11th Armoured 19-11-19 09:07 AM

Very sad news - condolences to those near & dear to him, RIP

Toby Purcell 19-11-19 11:12 AM

Saddened to learn of the passing of Badgez, I always looked out for his posts. Sympathy to his family.

Alex Rice 19-11-19 11:57 AM

That's very bad news, sorry to hear that. Condolences to all his friends and family.
Regards,
Alex

John Mulcahy 19-11-19 12:21 PM

I too enjoyed his postings and contributions. My condolences to his family.

MH331 19-11-19 05:12 PM

I traded a few badges with Stephen he was always a pleasure to correspond with. My condolences to his family.

Mark

matti467 19-11-19 10:23 PM

Thank you for informing us of his passing and my condolences to his family.
Matti

GriffMJ 19-11-19 10:48 PM

Very sad to hear...

Malcolm Davey 20-11-19 08:49 AM

Sorry to hear of Stephens passing RIP
My condolences to Helen and the Family

Ben Waterhouse 20-11-19 08:52 PM

Very sad news, my condolences to his nearest and dearest.

GTB 21-11-19 10:51 AM

Sad news. My condolences to his family

GTB

DJT 21-11-19 12:42 PM

Very sad news. He seemed like a really nice man in all my dealings with him. RIP Stephen.

Postwarden 21-11-19 01:13 PM

I have today sent a personal condolence note to Helen Risby. I have included with it just some of the tributes paid to Stephen here on the Forum as I was sure Helen would be pleased to know how much he was liked and respected by fellow Forum members.

Given that most members use a pseudonym the tributes are not identified with any individuals but do reflect his popularity here.

Jon

orasot 21-11-19 03:25 PM

I did the same Jon, Helen will be pleased to hear how much we all thought of Stephen. He was missed by a lot of us when he moved to Oz but did visit a few times and was always keen to join us at fairs. Stephen was very knowledgeable and always willing to share his info with others, I called upon him many a time with Herts related questions.
Rest in peace old buddy, your memory will live on,
Wilf