British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Militaria (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Reconnaissance Corps armband? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61451)

High Wood 22-04-17 04:00 PM

Reconnaissance Corps armband?

2 Attachment(s)
I may be way off the mark here but does this armband have anything to do with the Reconnaissance Corps as it is in their colours? If not does anyone know who may have worn it and what it signifies?

I have trawled through lists and photographs of arm bands and brassards and can find nothing similar on the internet.

Rob Miller 22-04-17 04:22 PM

Its pictured in Jon Mills and Terry Carneys "In the space of a single day" book but I can't find it in the text, so its something to do with the Home Guard.

Rob

High Wood 22-04-17 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Miller (Post 402449)
Its pictured in Jon Mills and Terry Carneys "In the space of a single day" book but I can't find it in the text, so its something to do with the Home Guard.

Rob

Brilliant, I will see what I can find. Many thanks.

Simon.

High Wood 25-04-17 07:42 AM

I cannot find any information regarding Home Guard armbands beyond the basic Home Guard and LDV types on the internet. However the IWM online collection has the following description:

badge, label, seal . armlet, label, seal. . Badge: an armlet divided equally horizontally yellow and green. The ends joined by two strips of black elastic. Khaki drill cloth backing to reverse. . Soft fabric label: . WORKING PATTERN No 11660 . Stamped: STANDARD . Specification No. (blank) .../... Catalogue No. CB1782 . Designation: Armlets, Yellow & Green, Home Guard. .../... "Cotton used for machining at edges to be the same colour as green material." . Date of sealing: date stamp - 14 OCT 19(illegible - possibly 58) . Badge secured to label with a length of white cotton tape, sealed to label with a square of khaki cloth on which a red sealing wax seal bearing the shield of the Arms of the Board of Ordnance surrounded by Chief Inspector.

1958 seem to be very late for the Home Guard and there is no information given as to what the armband signified.

Rob Miller 25-04-17 09:01 AM

I've had another look at the aforementioned book and found the reference, its quite tricky finding the text that goes with the colour plate, much easier to read the text and then find the picture, but I'm not complaining its still a great book.

Wartime, Green over Yellow armband worn by Home Guard personnel acting as guides to regular troops.

Post war, Yellow over Green armband worn by Home Guard personnel to identify them when not in uniform.

But I don't know how you tell the period of manufacture?

Rob

High Wood 25-04-17 10:45 AM

Rob,

many thanks for taking the time to look this up for me. Mine is clearly green over yellow rather than yellow over green. :D

Glosters Cloth 20-11-19 01:58 PM

Simon,
Hope you are well?
Do you still have the gree/yellow armband?
Ken

High Wood 22-11-19 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glosters Cloth (Post 492856)
Simon,
Hope you are well?
Do you still have the gree/yellow armband?
Ken

Ken,

I have only just seen this post. No, I no longer have the armband as it was outside my area of interest.

Simon.

NEMO 22-11-19 03:36 PM

sorry , a bit late this post but i can completely confirm this arm band IS Home guard /boy scout messaging service having been given the arm band by a guy who served in both as a 16 year old ( did not serve in the army ) so no chance he got confused

Glosters Cloth 25-11-19 11:39 AM

Simon,
Many thanks.
Ken

armbandman 16-12-23 08:48 PM

Armband

It’s in Brian Davis book Royal Artillery and Royal Engineers Survey units