British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Navy and Royal Marines (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Navy Trade/Rank Query (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86546)

popskipa 22-09-21 11:36 AM

Navy Trade/Rank Query

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I need the help of a Royal Navy buff to decipher this rank on a LS&GC medal please: ME A (P) 1

I suspect ME = Mechanical Engineer

Many thanks for looking, Keith

CB101 22-09-21 12:26 PM

Marine Engineering Artificer class1 is as far as I can go, can’t figure out the P though, sorry

mike_vee 22-09-21 12:40 PM

From late 1960's :

Quote:

marine engineering artificer (propulsion), MEA (P)
Also of interest :

Quote:

HMS Defiance (shore establishment 1970) was the Fleet Maintenance Base at HMNB Devonport between 1972 and 1979, and again between 1981 and 1994 when it was absorbed into the main base. One ship was renamed HMS Defiance whilst serving as the establishment's depot ship.

Jim Maclean 22-09-21 04:54 PM

It is terribly impressed, never seen one so bad. It should read MEA(P)1 etc. with regular spacing as shown.

MEA(P) is the successor to the ERA introduced in September 1969 when the training changed to remove the Shipwright Artificer who became MEA(H). This being Hull.

As Mike says the (P) is propulsion but was only used for Tiffies that joined as ERAs pre Sept 69. Likewise (H) for Chippes that joined pre 9/69.

All Tiffies that joined after Sept 1969 were designated MEA.

As to the 1 in MEA(P)1 this denotes CPO, 2 being PO, 3 being L/H. CMEA being a (Charge) Chief Artificer.

In late 1979 the number system for Artificers rates was abolished becoming CCMEA (Charge Chief). CPOMEA, POMEA,etc.

From looking at the inscription he was awarded his long gong after Sept 69 and before late '79.

popskipa 24-09-21 05:43 PM

Jim, Mike and CB thank you.

Keith

grenadierguardsman 24-09-21 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Maclean (Post 560169)
It is terribly impressed, never seen one so bad. It should read MEA(P)1 etc. with regular spacing as shown.

MEA(P) is the successor to the ERA introduced in September 1969 when the training changed to remove the Shipwright Artificer who became MEA(H). This being Hull.

As Mike says the (P) is propulsion but was only used for Tiffies that joined as ERAs pre Sept 69. Likewise (H) for Chippes that joined pre 9/69.

All Tiffies that joined after Sept 1969 were designated MEA.

As to the 1 in MEA(P)1 this denotes CPO, 2 being PO, 3 being L/H. CMEA being a (Charge) Chief Artificer.

In late 1979 the number system for Artificers rates was abolished becoming CCMEA (Charge Chief). CPOMEA, POMEA,etc.

From looking at the inscription he was awarded his long gong after Sept 69 and before late '79.

I too thought the engraving was poor ?
Andy