British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   QVC 5th Dragoon Guards Badge - Cap or Collar? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74343)

ojd 27-06-19 11:41 AM

QVC 5th Dragoon Guards Badge - Cap or Collar?

3 Attachment(s)
Dear All,

I have this QVC badge to the 5th Dragoon Guards, which accompanies a Kings South Africa Medal to a 5DG Trumpeter Lance Corporal, who played kettle drums, centre stage, at the 1903 Delhi Durbar. I have checked your own webpage https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/br...oon_guards.htm, but still not sure if it is a collar or cap badge (and to officer and or other rank)?

In the vertical shot, the badge sits between the 2 and the 8 cm marks.

Grateful for any advice (and thanks),

Owen

Edited to add reply from Lancer 17 (see his post below):

G'day Owen

From your photos its hard to tell weather its a cap or collar and the tape measure really doesn't show. However my QVC 5th DG cap badge is 40 mm high and the QVC collar is 33mm high and both are Bi Metal, that is a Brass/Gilding Metal back ground and with a circular White Metal centre. Both the cap and collar have 2 E - W lugs, yours appears to be all brass and with 2 lugs.

I hope that this helps.

Regards Phil.

Lancer 17 27-06-19 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ojd (Post 482288)
Dear All,

I have this QVC badge to the 5th Dragoon Guards, which accompanies a Kings South Africa Medal to a 5DG Trumpeter Lance Corporal, who played kettle drums, centre stage, at the 1903 Delhi Durbar. I have checked your own webpage https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/br...oon_guards.htm, but still not sure if it is a collar or cap badge (and to officer and or other rank)?

In the vertical shot, the badge sits between the 2 and the 8 cm marks.

Grateful for any advice (and thanks),

Owen

G'day Owen

Please see my reply which is in the For Sale section where you placed the original post.

Regards Phil.

Frank Kelley 27-06-19 12:35 PM

I think, from the photographs, it is completely spurious.

ojd 27-06-19 12:43 PM

QVC 5th DG Badge - Cap or Collar?

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks Phil, it is the fact that it is not bi-colour that makes me wonder whether it is cap or collar and whilst I note that the Officer version is all brass, the example shown in the link above is for a KC version.

Sorry for the badly composed tape measure pictures - I have added better ones now. My shaky hand measures the badge at 28mm across and 38mm high.

Thanks again,

Owen

ojd 27-06-19 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 482290)
I think, from the photographs, it is completely spurious.

Thanks Frank, I must admit I had just assumed it was ok - but, as a novice, can I ask what it is that makes you think it is a fake?

Owen

Chipper 27-06-19 01:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I will throw my 2c in, and say it is not a cap or collar. It may very well be something else, but not those. The reason I say that is firstly the quality, which seems from the pics to be somewhat lacking. Victorian badges that I have/have seen, are always beautifully struck and finished. I have the cap and collar for the 5th, (attached) and as I say, I am not being definitive, but I have never seen one like yours, ie not bi-metal.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable comes along to give a more expert opinion, but for me, I am with Frank.

Cheers, Tim

PS as for dimensions, mine are approximately 40mm x 27mm and 32mm x 22mm

Luke H 27-06-19 05:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It’s 100% a fake.

The crown doesn’t have jewels it has outlines. The horse looks like Frankenstein and the seeding it’s typically repro.

I’ve never seen a genuine period badge with outlines for jewels. Interestingly however they do appear in Martin Marsh’s catalogue of repro badges.

I would suggest the engraver who made these fake dies was either working from a poor picture or photocopy and only able to make out the shape of the jewels rather than appreciating the should have volume! Either that or it was a deliberate error.

Here it is, number 7 and yours for £4.50 only at 2006 prices.

Frank Kelley 27-06-19 07:14 PM

As much as £4.50?:eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke H (Post 482311)
It’s 100% a fake.

The crown doesn’t have jewels it has outlines. The horse looks like Frankenstein and the seeding it’s typically repro.

I’ve never seen a genuine period badge with outlines for jewels. Interestingly however they do appear in Martin Marsh’s catalogue of repro badges.

I would suggest the engraver who made these fake dies was either working from a poor picture or photocopy and only able to make out the shape of the jewels rather than appreciating the should have volume! Either that or it was a deliberate error.

Here it is, number 7 and yours for £4.50 only at 2006 prices.

Frank Kelley 27-06-19 07:21 PM

The original badges were manufactured using different materials and methods and were far better in terms of just basic quality, that example is very crude and lacks any detail whatsoever, it is also the wrong colour, die cast badges were silver/gilt in those days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ojd (Post 482293)
Thanks Frank, I must admit I had just assumed it was ok - but, as a novice, can I ask what it is that makes you think it is a fake?

Owen

ojd 28-06-19 12:20 AM

Well, thank you everyone, I was well and truly duped on this one. But, entirely my fault, for buying with blind faith. Lesson learned. :(

Owen

ojd 28-06-19 11:08 AM

Happy for the Mods to move this to the appropriate thread on copies, re-strikes, fakes and etc.

Thanks,

Owen

Keith Blakeman 28-06-19 05:10 PM

One thing being overlooked and very obvious, how many die cast bronze QVC badges actually exist?

ojd 29-06-19 10:25 PM

Notwithstanding the question being asked by Keith, can I just ask - is it a 'reproduction' of the Officer's badge? Assuming so, as it is not bi-metallic.

Owen

Frank Kelley 30-06-19 07:34 AM

I certainly did not overlook that, as I said in post 9, it is wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman (Post 482382)
One thing being overlooked and very obvious, how many die cast bronze QVC badges actually exist?

Frank Kelley 30-06-19 07:35 AM

It is completely spurious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ojd (Post 482457)
Notwithstanding the question being asked by Keith, can I just ask - is it a 'reproduction' of the Officer's badge? Assuming so, as it is not bi-metallic.

Owen