British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Para Regiment Hat Badges Assistance (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84156)

3battalion 03-04-21 06:30 AM

Para Regiment Hat Badges Assistance

5 Attachment(s)
Gents,

I would appreciate assistance identifying good from bad with these eight hat badges?

As you can see they are made of different materials, all have lugs on the rear and there are no markings on any of the badges.

Thanks for any assistance.

Paul

Luke H 03-04-21 10:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The one circled with the fat lion nearly falling off the back of the crown in much debated as they appear on Marbles & Beasley repro sliders plus several examples with modern looking footed lugs.

Commonly these examples possess several die flaws discussed in a couple other threads, however, there is an example lacking these flaws which does look much more period.

The others all look good to me.

oc14 03-04-21 10:48 AM

Just an observation but when talking to a member of the British Airborne fraternity, it's never a good idea to use the term "Hat" alongside the words "Parachute Regiment".. could lead to all kinds of misunderstandings.....

PL

bess55 03-04-21 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oc14 (Post 544733)
Just an observation but when talking to a member of the British Airborne fraternity, it's never a good idea to use the term "Hat" alongside the words "Parachute Regiment".. could lead to all kinds of misunderstandings.....

PL

Ha ha, I missed that and you are sooo right! Brilliant. . .

3battalion 03-04-21 11:52 AM

Quite right - should read beret. Don't want to give the 'hats' any ideas!

Having once jumped for a living I'm disgusted with this oversight and have taken myself on a 'tab' to sort myself out.

Thanks for the replies

Paul

Home Guard 03-04-21 02:29 PM

OK, I know the Airborne wear maroon berets, but am not familiar with the term "Hats". Can you all enlighten a Yank please?

FYI, "Suits" over here refers to management in the civilian world.

Thanks,

Terry

3battalion 03-04-21 02:32 PM

Soldiers who are not parachute qualified are known as 'hats' Terry.

Paul

bess55 03-04-21 03:26 PM

Terry, its a shortening of 'crap hat' . . .I.e. anything that isn't an airborne maroon beret, is 'crap' . . Esprit de corps . . .

castagain 03-04-21 03:58 PM

...and across the pond, we called them “legs.”

JerryBB 04-04-21 05:44 PM

bottom right appears to be from the gaunt die

Frank Kelley 04-04-21 06:41 PM

I'd be rather surprised if that term was in popular usage during the period in which the badges in this thread were actually worn, as far as I an aware, it was not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bess55 (Post 544789)
Terry, its a shortening of 'crap hat' . . .I.e. anything that isn't an airborne maroon beret, is 'crap' . . Esprit de corps . . .

3battalion 05-04-21 07:29 AM

Yes Frank it certainly wasn't used during the war.

Is that a good or bad sign being from the Gaunt dies Jerry?

At the moment U'm only tracking one dodgy badge from the 8.

Paul

JerryBB 05-04-21 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3battalion (Post 544978)
Yes Frank it certainly wasn't used during the war.

Is that a good or bad sign being from the Gaunt dies Jerry?

At the moment U'm only tracking one dodgy badge from the 8.

Paul

Gaunt die is good Paul

3battalion 05-04-21 09:33 AM

Thanks Jerry.

Good collecting

Paul

Phill Lockett 05-04-21 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3battalion (Post 544751)
Quite right - should read beret. Don't want to give the 'hats' any ideas!

Having once jumped for a living I'm disgusted with this oversight and have taken myself on a 'tab' to sort myself out.

Thanks for the replies

Paul

Hi Paul
Dont Tab out....yet.:)

Royal Army Clothing Dept. pattern 12497 referred "Badge Cap, Parachute Regt." approved 25-3-43

Phill