British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anodised Aluminium Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   RHA Beret Badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81399)

Calpe 26-10-20 06:18 PM

RHA Beret Badge

Looking for information. When and why did the Royal Horse Artillery change from the gold anodised staybright to the silver anodised cap badge? Any information is appreciated.

Ex Supt Clk RAOC 29-10-20 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calpe (Post 526751)
Looking for information. When and why did the Royal Horse Artillery change from the gold anodised staybright to the silver anodised cap badge? Any information is appreciated.

As to why they changed, i have no idea but i do seem to remember reading (probably in Chris Marsh's book on the subject of Anodised Aluminium badges) that the change to silver took place in or about 1970.

Hope someone with a little more knowledge of this Regt can answer the question of 'why' for you.

Steve

mike_vee 29-10-20 03:08 PM

From another site :
"The cypher badge of the RHA was given official recognition in 1948, as a brass/gilt badge, not silver as it was originally intended. In 1958 the badge was changed from brass to white metal."

Royal Horse Artillery Badges

Click on various badges for more details.

fairlie63 29-10-20 06:21 PM

Marc (54bty) has previously posted an extremely interesting and detailed summary of the changes in RHA cypher on this forum that will answer your question and more.

Haven't got time to search for it at the moment but will later unless somebody beats me to it.

Keith

Calpe 30-10-20 03:20 PM

RHA Beret Badhe

Thank you Steve, mike_vee and Keith for the information.
Ian

bess55 31-10-20 01:01 PM

RHA gold anodised

3 Attachment(s)
Gents, just for the sake of it as it's a dull rainy day in North Essex . . . .and lockdown 2 looming . . . Attached my anodised RHA set.

Note the gold LB&B error.

Regards all

Bess

Artynut 31-10-20 02:25 PM

Nice collection there BESS. Is the error on the LB&B badge because it’s “Gold”? Thank you for sharing. Snowed here yesterday in St.Catharines! (And I’m an Essex boy so where in Essex are you?). David J.

bess55 31-10-20 03:28 PM

Hi David, yes the LB& B is an error as its gold- way too late maker for it to be a proper temporary gold example (and it isnt seeded).
I'm sure I have it somewhere that the gold changed to silver version very early 70's ( the first silver examples being seeded, later unseeded - both types found with slider or east west lugs).

The anodised gold cypher replacing the brass badge in the early 60's

And I'm based in Saffron Walden . . . .

Regards all

Bess

ukbrits 31-10-20 08:32 PM

Hi Bess,
Nice set! Didn't realise there was 2 different sizes of shoulder titles?
More to try & find!
Good to see thanks.
Regards
Colin

hagwalther 31-10-20 09:00 PM

Hi,

Some bits and pieces from official doco re: A/A cap badges for RHA.

Royal Horse Artillery [Gold]

CB No.
1. CB 3035 - [Tudor]
2. CB 3035

Pattern

1. 19627

Notes

1. CB No. 3035 is recorded in the Catalogue of Clothing and Necessaries (CCN) of 1963 as replacing an obsolete gilding metal item. This number was originally allocated to a Tudor Crowned cap badge, via the List of Changes change C 4717 (change of intent only), and was later retained for use with a St. Edward’s Crowned item via change C 5787.
2. The Tudor Crown variant of this badge is not thought to have been bulk manufactured in anodised aluminium for general issue.
3. Priced, on 25th November 1966, at 1 shilling and 1 penny each.
4. This unit was also also authorised to wear the large badge of the Royal Regiment of Artillery (cap only).

Royal Horse Artillery [Silver]

NSN

1. 8455-99-973-9782

Pattern

1. 19786

1. The silver coloured version of this badge is believed to have been authorised for issue around 1970.

Regards,

Chris

3dg 31-10-20 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bess55 (Post 527308)
Gents, just for the sake of it as it's a dull rainy day in North Essex . . . .and lockdown 2 looming . . . Attached my anodised RHA set.

Regards all

Bess

Fantastic collection Bess
I have a gold anodised with no makers mark on the slider.
Is this any good?

Chris

hagwalther 31-10-20 09:58 PM

Quote:

Regards all

Bess

Hi Bess,

Possibly arguable re: LB&B Gold being an error. While in this instance I actually do agree with you it should be noted that the first official record of the silver RHA in A/A is the CCN of 1973. Before that (and in 1963 edition of the CCN only (plus a few other pieces of doco - see above)) the offical A/A badge was gold.

As LB&B started up in 1973 could they have had an order of gold before the silver became official? I say, unlikely and if LB&B actually did not get started until 1974 then I would have to agree 100% error. However, (again) the two years of the CCN entry and the start date of LB&B do match.

Regards,

Chris

Calpe 01-11-20 08:26 AM

Quote:

Regards all

Bess

Hi Bess,
Thank you for the photos and info. Very useful in helping me catalogue my collection.

Ian

Calpe 01-11-20 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hagwalther (Post 527368)
Hi Bess,

Possibly arguable re: LB&B Gold being an error. While in this instance I actually do agree with you it should be noted that the first official record of the silver RHA in A/A is the CCN of 1973. Before that (and in 1963 edition of the CCN only (plus a few other pieces of doco - see above)) the offical A/A badge was gold.

As LB&B started up in 1973 could they have had an order of gold before the silver became official? I say, unlikely and if LB&B actually did not get started until 1974 then I would have to agree 100% error. However, (again) the two years of the CCN entry and the start date of LB&B do match.

Regards,

Chris

Hi Chris,
Thank you for the information. Very interesting. My question has been well answered.
Ian

3dg 01-11-20 02:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's mine, no makers mark.
Is it any good please?