British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Headdress (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Fs cap in green rifle colour (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82664)

Trubia26 10-01-21 09:19 PM

Fs cap in green rifle colour

3 Attachment(s)
Hello! I have this FS cap in green rifle colour but without black braid on top...it is in very poor condition, but I would like to know wich regiment belongs to...I was told King's Royal Rifle Corps or maybe Rifle Brigade...what do you think?...It would be possible to know what era belongs to? Thank you!

Attachment 238431

Attachment 238432

Attachment 238433

cbuehler 11-01-21 12:42 AM

I believe it is Rifle Brigade. The KRRC has red piping.

CB

Trubia26 11-01-21 06:12 AM

Red piping? I thought it was black..

Sonofacqms 11-01-21 11:57 AM

Buttons

From the buttons which are Rifle Brigade I would say dates from 1902 to 1953 and may have been worn later.

Rob

colin 17 11-01-21 12:58 PM

Rifles

There were to Rifle Regiments. The Kings Royal Rifle Corps which wore green with red piping and the Rifle Brigade which wore green with black piping. There were volunteer Rifle units which also had similar colourings.

Colin

Trubia26 11-01-21 03:24 PM

Well...this cap don't have any piping...not red, not black...I would like to find a badge to complete the cap (even in this poor condition)...but I don't know what volunteers wore this cap...and I still have questions...in the book "Regimental badges and service caps" you can see that the only green cap with black buttons is the Queen Victoria Rifles, King Royal Rifle Corps, and you can see it with black piping...and other like Rifle Brigade wear gilding buttons...I don't know if is a mistake and brigades wear black buttons...or Artist rifles and some other regiments you can see in green colour in that book...that is why I need to know in your opinion wich badge or badges are the correct one for this cap...

https://gmic.co.uk/topic/40929-34-re...e-caps34-1941/

Trubia26 11-01-21 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofacqms (Post 534864)
From the buttons which are Rifle Brigade I would say dates from 1902 to 1953 and may have been worn later.

Rob

That is a lot of time ! But it has no markings so the king crown is the only way to date the cap (or try to do!)

colin 17 11-01-21 10:47 PM

Well it could be just one of the Light Infantry Regiments if it has no piping. There was not a lot of difference, if any, in the green peaked caps of the Rifles and Light Infantry and so it is probably true about the side caps as well.

Colin

Trubia26 11-01-21 10:54 PM

Ok...so light infantry badges are correct too...that's good! I have a Cornwall light infantry badge!

colin 17 12-01-21 01:14 AM

Just dug out my cap and it does have brass buttons on it so unless yours had Rifles buttons sewn on to it then it wouldn't be a LI cap, sorry, I had forgotten that yours had blackened buttons.
I would suspect that yours is RB but just without black braid (very little info out there on undress caps) or it is a VB battalion of a line regt that was dressed in green, which there were a lot of. I can put together a list if needed?

Colin

Trubia26 12-01-21 05:43 AM

Oh...I see...well, Rifle Brigade seems the better option...but if you have more info about that VB Battalions just tell me! It is interesting to know about the diverse use of Rifle green colour!

Sonofacqms 12-01-21 05:41 PM

Field Service cap

Having dug out my MHS special number for 2002 on coloured field service caps infantry by D G Glover I see that the units that wore Field Service caps similar to the Rifle Brigade are:-

5th City of London Regt (London Rifle Brigade) c1940-45

17th County of London Regt (Tower Hamlets Rifles) c1940-45

28th County of London Regt (Artists Rifles) c1940-47

Although these may be a possibility I think that it is an other ranks Rifle Brigade Field Service cap.

Rob

Trubia26 12-01-21 07:30 PM

This is really interesting! Most opinions go to RB...but on the way I am learning a lot about green FS caps...thank you!!!
I am searching throught the net...and I see a lot of rifle green caps with various badges in sites as worthpoint...but I am not sure if they are correct

JerryBB 13-01-21 06:23 AM

A shame you did not upload the pictures directly to the forum as they will eventually vanish and I will not click on outside links.

Trubia26 13-01-21 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryBB (Post 535049)
A shame you did not upload the pictures directly to the forum as they will eventually vanish and I will not click on outside links.

Oh! Today I will edit all my post in order to change that!