British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   All other Colonial Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Selous Scouts (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38306)

cw2311 20-03-14 12:45 AM

It appears this thread has plenty of hard core Selous Scouts collectors, please see the link provided below as it may be of interest to someone here.

You guys have some pretty nice looking items. You almost make me want to expand my collecting field.

http://www.regimentals.co.uk/viewpho...h=60898&phqu=8

Cheers from Canada.

Jamesm 20-03-14 09:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Camo shirt named to Maj. John Duncan, Selous Scouts Stable Belt, camo shirt named to Lt. Col. Reid-Daly.

cw2311 21-03-14 12:39 AM

Hello Jamesm,

Very nice looking group. I can see a beret in the picture you provided, is this original to the group? Can I see pics of that?

Cheers.

Jamesm 21-03-14 01:09 AM

I have several berets, about 7-8 in all. Both Officer's and OR's. Was there a particular version and shots you'd like to see?

Cheers,

James

cw2311 21-03-14 01:28 AM

I don’t know much about Selous Scouts paraphernalia, so I’m open to anything you’re willing to share. I collect war time para berets, so seeing other maroon berets are always of interest!

rhodesianmilitaria 21-03-14 01:46 AM

Selous Scouts berets were not maroon they were chocolate brown. Primarily made by Botswana Cap and Helmet Manufacturers in Lobatse, Botswana.

Depending on the lighting the photo was taken in etc then the colour can look slightly different as any photographer knows. There is also the fading to take into consideration.

Jamesm 21-03-14 01:53 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Although these berets photograph with a red tinge, giving the impression that they are possibly maroon, they are in fact brown. It seems to take of the reddish colour when a flash is used. When in natural light, it shows the more natural colour.

Here are a few different shots of an Officer's beret, with the ribbed cloth/nylon sweat band, and an OR's beret, with the vinyl sweat band. In natural light, you can see the natural brown colour in the first photo. Keep in mind that this has been worn in the sun and faded a bit. Although both berets were made by the same manufacturer, there are differences in the construction.

Peter beat me to it, but he'll likely cover everything and more!

cw2311 21-03-14 02:00 AM

I guess my post saying that “I don’t know much about Selous Scouts paraphernalia” proved to be true! :o

Thanks for posting the picture and setting me straight.

rhodesianmilitaria 21-03-14 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesm (Post 255164)
Peter beat me to it, but he'll likely cover everything and more!

Hardly! I'm out of this thread. I try to choose my company.

Jamesm 21-03-14 02:07 AM

As a side to the Selous Scouts, maroon berets that can be attributed to them, after the majority of them left as Rhodesia came to an end, is the berets for the SA Recce's and Transkei Special Forces, whose ranks were augmented by the former Scouts.

swende 21-03-14 01:07 PM

Welcome James !

Great to see you started this thread - always good to have an expert like you on board ! will post some of my selous stuff !

swende 21-03-14 04:42 PM

4 Attachment(s)
A few Selous curios not covered in other posts -- I believe there were 3 different colour T shirts .. The blazer badge is current association one .. Does anyone have a pic of an older Rhodesian made one?

swende 21-03-14 04:50 PM

6 Attachment(s)
few more Selous items , the WO badge has the brown felt under the badge . My officers beret - it still has the Botswana label in it ...

Jamesm 21-03-14 05:56 PM

Nice items! Thanks for posting, Steve.

swende 21-03-14 07:46 PM

Transkei

2 Attachment(s)
Transkei Special Forces uniform showing how wing backing were cut in similar style to the Selous ones