British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   RTR collar lugs (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70640)

iaindh 09-11-18 10:47 AM

RTR collar lugs

2 Attachment(s)
I picked up this pair of RTR QEC collars but each have a single square type lug.

Does anyone know the reason for this?

Attachment 196687Attachment 196688

Thanks Iain

grey_green_acorn 09-11-18 11:24 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Iain,

I think they are early to mid 1950s QC issue before the anodised pattern. I have 5 all facing right looking for partners! The KC version did have two lugs.

Tim

iaindh 09-11-18 11:32 AM

Thanks Tim, I have 2 lug KC version but I've never seen a single lug before

Iain

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn (Post 459348)
Iain,

I think they are early to mid 1950s QC issue before the anodised pattern. I have 5 all facing right looking for partners! The KC version did have two lugs.

Tim

54Bty 09-11-18 05:41 PM

In 1951 it was decided that all collar badges (less a few) would be fitted with single posts.

Marc

iaindh 09-11-18 06:13 PM

Thanks, Marc, I wasn't aware

Iain

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54Bty (Post 459412)
In 1951 it was decided that all collar badges (less a few) would be fitted with single posts.

Marc

Frank Kelley 09-11-18 07:49 PM

Very nice, Iain, certainly not something you see everyday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iaindh (Post 459342)
I picked up this pair of RTR QEC collars but each have a single square type lug.

Does anyone know the reason for this?

Attachment 196687Attachment 196688

Thanks Iain

badjez 09-11-18 09:45 PM

RTR cpollar lugs

07.01.50. ACI 35: To solve problems resulting from interchanging personnel between regiments within particular Infantry Groups, and the intention to introduce No1 Dress, there was a need to make fastenings of cap and collar badges standard. This was to avoid defacing garments with fresh holes each time a different pattern of badge was worn.
‘Collar badges- All collar badges will, in future, be fitted with a short single shank of flat metal pierced with an aperture to allow the badge to be firmly fixed by a back plate and cotter pin.’

New fastenings applied to new production, but existing badges of old stock fastenings were to be issued until stocks exhausted.

Stephen.

iaindh 12-11-18 04:38 PM

Thanks Stephen,

certainly seemed like a good idea but it seems it didn't last

Iain

Quote:

Originally Posted by badjez (Post 459463)
07.01.50. ACI 35: To solve problems resulting from interchanging personnel between regiments within particular Infantry Groups, and the intention to introduce No1 Dress, there was a need to make fastenings of cap and collar badges standard. This was to avoid defacing garments with fresh holes each time a different pattern of badge was worn.
‘Collar badges- All collar badges will, in future, be fitted with a short single shank of flat metal pierced with an aperture to allow the badge to be firmly fixed by a back plate and cotter pin.’

New fastenings applied to new production, but existing badges of old stock fastenings were to be issued until stocks exhausted.

Stephen.

iaindh 12-11-18 04:42 PM

Thanks Frank,

A little bit more for my RTR collection and as you say unusual

regards, Iain

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 459433)
Very nice, Iain, certainly not something you see everyday.

Frank Kelley 12-11-18 08:09 PM

Hello Iain,
They turn up along with similar to the various regiments and corps for this period, but, certainly not often, anyway, very nice.
Regards again Frank