British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Military Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Poppy Appeal Pins (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59241)

mike_vee 23-02-21 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_2817 (Post 539731)
in the meantime I have ordered one for myself for £3 via the Poppy Shop using the free postage promo code with my RBL pin order which I also received this morning.

I did the exact same thing . :D

Mike_2817 23-02-21 12:17 PM

Yes, Typical, that the dated pins were listed the day after I ordered my RBL & 100 anniversary pins! In fact I ordered 2. One for my collection, and one to wear.

Sods law, as I will have 1000 as a starter in less than a few months, but I always pay for my own anyway!!

mike_vee 24-02-21 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 539678)
The book is now also available for pre-order from Waterstones and with Amazon offering a 12% discount + free postage why should people buy from RBL/PoppyShop ? :confused:

Got an e-mail from RBL today , it appears that Amazon are their main outlet for selling the book .

"We Are The Legion, is now available for pre-order on Amazon"

"The edition is offered at £16.71 reduced from £18.99 and pre-orders will be shipped on the publication date of 6 May."

mike_vee 24-02-21 12:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 539368)
Another point , have also just seen that 2021 dated poppy pins are now available from PoppyShop , so expect to see them appearing on eBay soon.

2021 Poppy pin arrived today , it is slightly different from previous years.

Shape/style of leaf and colouring of badge have changed. Also 'split' poppy like pre double dated ones.

mike_vee 26-02-21 01:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 538933)
Don't know how I missed this one in 2018 but it was only recently I was made aware of its existence.

Now all I need to do is find a "Battle of Cambrai" one to complete the set.

Just when I thought I knew all the 'commemorative' badges issued I have discovered another that I must have missed ! :(

Was looking for something else when I came across an old "Amazon" link , it is described as :

"The Royal British Legion Ypres Gift Shop Pin"

So , another one added to the 'Wanted List' !

mm1 02-03-21 12:45 PM

poppy

Can anyone advise how to tell good from bad on these badges ? ie RBL as opposed to copies.

Cheers, Mark

mike_vee 02-03-21 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mm1 (Post 540789)
Can anyone advise how to tell good from bad on these badges ? ie RBL as opposed to copies.

Cheers, Mark

Have sent you a PM. ;)

mike_vee 04-03-21 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 539720)
The new logo badge I'm not sure about , it is larger than I thought it would be and 'confusing' ! :confused:

It looks like they have removed the "British" part of the title , at a first glance it seems to be R Poppy L or even R.O.L!

Regarding the new RBL logo badge , someone in the supermarket asked where I got the “Ralph Lauren” remembrance badge ! :D

mike_vee 04-03-21 01:21 PM

RBL Riders

1 Attachment(s)
The RBL Riders Branches have a lot of badges produced which they usually sell at their Rides/Rallies etc. They have made various 'biker' and 'commemorative' (what I term "Poppy Head" ) pins .

Possibly due lockdown/covid I guess their outdoor activities have been restricted and they now have some of these pins available on-line from the RBL Riders Store.

NB. Each year the Isle of Man also produce/sell 'biker' Poppy Head pins but theirs have the traditional RBL poppy with leaf.

Charliedog012012 04-03-21 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 541007)
Regarding the new RBL logo badge , someone in the supermarket asked where I got the “Ralph Lauren” remembrance badge ! :D

I chuckled when I read that...some people are unbelievable.........then again, if it helps to sell the poppy badges it might be worth giving it a try.......I can see it now...an RAF poppy badge could be advertised as ‘a Renoir Alfresco Francini’ poppy! The possibilities are endless!
Cheers
James

mike_vee 06-03-21 11:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mm1 (Post 540789)

A 2010 Poppy pin with leaf at 10 o'clock just sold for £22.00.

As far as I'm aware this was not an official RBL issue for the following reasons :

1. The first official dated poppy with the leaf on that side was in 2011 and the leaf was at 11 o'clock.

2. It is slightly larger than all the other official single dated pins (2006 - 2013). Also , it is smaller than the later official double dated pins (2014 - 2018).

3. It has the criss-cross back similar to other unofficial/fake 'dated' pins.

But....... there are quite a few of this pin around ! :confused:

The same seller has , over the past couple of years , listed 41 with bids varying from £3.00 - £150.00 and most selling for an average of £19.00.

Good or Bad ? These may have been made 'unofficially' for a branch but I can't see the RBL or Branch officials sanctioning them.

Mike_2817 06-03-21 09:06 PM

I have seen one or two of this '11 o'clock' pins and have always avoided them as I have found proof of their official or semi official production. In 2010 most branches purchased the bags of 50 undated pins for resale. This was the last year of the '2 o'clock' Poppy Pin.

mike_vee 16-03-21 07:10 PM

3 Years Service Pin

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up this unusual poppy pin , possibly a 'special' produced for one of the branches . Its overall size is about the same as a double dated one , has a clutch pin fitting and a smooth back with no makers name.

I would have expected a 5 year award but it may have been for Cadets etc in thanks for their service during Poppy Week ?

mike_vee 21-03-21 12:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 494141)
While sorting out my latest acquisitions I noticed that the Passchendaele 1917-2017 pin didn't fit in with the other Centenary ones , it had the poppy with leaf .

Another twist to this post , the poppy with the leaf was originally advertised by Sainsbury's :
Quote:

Unveiling our exclusive Passchendaele pin to commemorate the 3rd battle of Ypres.

Bronzestar 28-03-21 05:11 PM

my collection...

4 Attachment(s)
Well here's me thinking I was the only one.. how wrong can I be ha ha
These are what I have as well as Help For Hero ones.

Am I right in thinking the Great War Badge is the start of the British Legion ?

mike_vee 28-03-21 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bronzestar (Post 544033)
Am I right in thinking the Great War Badge is the start of the British Legion ?

The British Legion was formed on 15 May 1921, bringing together four national organisations of ex-Servicemen that had established themselves after the First World War:

The National Association of Discharged Sailors and Soldiers
The British National Federation of Discharged and Demobilized Sailors and Soldiers
The Comrades of The Great War
The Officers' Association

Bronzestar 28-03-21 06:26 PM

So.did.they all have different badges ?

mike_vee 28-03-21 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bronzestar (Post 544044)
So.did.they all have different badges ?

Yes , here is a quick photo.

dumdum 28-03-21 09:54 PM

Hi Mike

Hope all well with you.

Seeing your line up of badges caused me to think of an organisation that crops up from time to time called The Silver Badge Party.

A bit of digging around suggests that they were semi-political and I would also imagine that their "badge" was....the Silver War Badge!

Logically, would that suggest that, no badge, unable to belong?

mike_vee 08-04-21 01:38 PM

A nice surprise !

1 Attachment(s)
Got a package today from Canada (Thanks David) , some really great items which will enhance my collection.

The package was mailed on 1st February and we feared it had been 'lost' but Canada Post and the Royal Mail eventually came through !

This gift is yet another example of the kindness and generosity of forum members who have sent me items , my thanks and appreciation go out to you all.

dumdum 09-04-21 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 541007)

There is an association called the King's Empire Veterans who use a badge that has the initials "K.E.V."

A dear old chap, long passed now, was greeted by a young lady at a social event with the following:

"Hello, Kev, I'm Sue..."

Oh dear.....

mike_vee 17-04-21 02:35 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dumdum (Post 534826)
Hi Mike and other "poppy pundits"

Thought that you might like to see some older poppies. The 1921 example is easy enough to date but what period would you suggest for the others?

Four vintage poppies have just sold (individually) on eBay , all from the same seller.

1. £33.00

2. £122.00

3. £133.99

4. £144.00

Total : £432.99 :eek:

Too rich for me but I did get a nice set of 8 British Legion Poppy Factory postcards for £10.00 . :D

dumdum 18-04-21 10:29 AM

Hi Mike

Hmmmmmm.... sort of makes you think, doesn't it?

I had no idea that Lord Sugar was a collector....:rolleyes:

mike_vee 18-04-21 11:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dumdum (Post 546483)
Hi Mike

Hmmmmmm.... sort of makes you think, doesn't it?

I had no idea that Lord Sugar was a collector....:rolleyes:

I picked up this one (possibly 1930's) last year for £23.00 , wonder what it would go for today !

Only problem is that I put it somewhere 'safe' and now can't remember where it is ! :confused:

PS. The most expensive one above is the 1942-1944 "Austerity" one.

dumdum 19-04-21 10:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Mike

Indeed! Did we ever get around to attaching dates to the ones I sent you photos of?

I think we did but maybe I should post them again so that others can get an idea of what is around.

I'll refresh my memory as to what daft names I gave the files....

Comments from others most welcome!

dumdum 19-04-21 10:35 AM

6 Attachment(s)
And here are the rest...

:)

mike_vee 19-04-21 11:19 AM

Hi Ray ,

When I get a bit of time I'll try and date them all , one comment I made in an earlier post is :

Quote:

The round label/badge attached to the other poppy is described as "an early official Poppy Seller’s badge" and the registered number (which is on the other side) would date it to having being first registered 1922.
If any one wants information/details about poppies/Remembrance I would recommend the "MADAME GUÉRIN" website , it is the most comprehensive resource and my reference 'bible' on the subect.

https://poppyladymadameguerin.wordpress.com/

This page covers British items :

REMEMBRANCE POPPY TIMELINE FOR GREAT BRITAIN

dumdum 20-04-21 06:14 AM

Hi Mike

Many thanks for that. Yes, and I did look at the link you sent and found it truly fascinating.

I don't know about you, but I find that I often see a really great post and then lose it so am always grateful when someone posts photos again!

I recently bought a pair of rather "odd" poppies from one of my favourite haunts so I'll dig them out for you. The guy selling them had put them in a wee plastic envelope and scribbled "1942" on it. They have no label or anything.

I asked him why and he replied that there must have been some other material with them at the time!:rolleyes:

mike_vee 20-04-21 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dumdum (Post 546657)
I don't know about you, but I find that I often see a really great post and then lose it so am always grateful when someone posts photos again!

The problem with some old posts is that the original photos were from/linked to a photo-sharing site and are no longer available as the site/account doesn't exist anymore.

Also , links to eBay/dealer sites "expire" after a period of time.

I sometimes download interesting photos I find (for future reference) but can't repost here due to copyright etc.

Bronzestar 21-04-21 08:29 AM

Just been on the BL site some new pin badges and some in the for sale.

mike_vee 21-04-21 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bronzestar (Post 546736)
Just been on the BL site some new pin badges and some in the for sale.

I regularly check out the PoppyShop site as some of the new items sell out very quickly !

They have finally got the book , "We Are The Legion" by Julie Summers , on their site for £18.99 (plus postage , usually £3.99) .

I pre-ordered the book from Amazon in February for £16.71 with free postage.

NB. Just checked and book is not available from official The Royal British Legion shop on Amazon. :confused:

mike_vee 22-04-21 02:41 PM

National Memorial Arboretum

1 Attachment(s)
Got this nice NMA badge , it will go well with the "RBL National Memorial Arboretum Branch" badge I already have.

mike_vee 25-04-21 11:02 AM

Spot the difference !

1 Attachment(s)
This fake 2007 poppy pin has turned up on eBay ...yet again !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333972619...53.m1438.l2649

December 2020
Quote:

2007 Large Poppy pin , complete rubbish and wrong size 30mm x 20mm - Buy it now £99.99
25th January 2021
Quote:

A 2007 pin going for £199.99 + £7.99 postage , but check out the size 30mm
The seller changes the listing slightly each time , latest one (£9.99 buy it now) states :

"red pin badge,rare date, (2007) small version." - No mention of 'poppy' or 'RBL'.

"very small comppared to the normal ones measuring only about 30mm overall." - The official RBL 2007 pin is 18mm x 8mm and the double dated pins are 25mm x 15mm.

There is a photo of the pin but nothing to show actual size and also a photo of a previous listing (by a different seller) of a genuine 2007 pin that sold for £60.00 ( obviously posted to show what a "bargain" this one is).

What annoys me is that this time the listing has the eBay "charity" ribbon and states that "10% of the sale of this item will benefit Royal British Legion Merseyside Branch". - Yet the seller is from Norwich !

Photo shows genuine small 2007 pin and the large fake one.

mike_vee 01-05-21 01:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 546400)
Four vintage poppies have just sold (individually) on eBay , all from the same seller.

1. £33.00

2. £122.00

3. £133.99

4. £144.00

Total : £432.99 :eek:

Too rich for me but I did get a nice set of 8 British Legion Poppy Factory postcards for £10.00 . :D

PoppyShop have just brought out a couple of Poppies both modelled on the first Poppy Appeal poppies sold in 1921 .

Silk Limited Edition Volunteers' Poppy - Only 100 made and comes with a certificate ....£99.99

Volunteers' Poppy - almost identical in appearance to our Silk Limited Edition Volunteers’ Poppy, but is made from man-made fabric (This version also comes with a pin, so it can also be worn as a brooch).... £39.99

While they are both very nice I think I'd rather have an original one.

mike_vee 07-05-21 03:02 PM

We Are The Legion

1 Attachment(s)
Book arrived yesterday , first impression is that it is a nice , general interest , "coffee table" book. Colourful with lots of interesting photos.

Will have a good read over the weekend and then write a small review in the books section.

Larne 15-05-21 06:56 AM

Need these poppy pin

Does anyone have the 2006, the stud or the mini poppy for sale? I need these ones to complete my collection.

mike_vee 15-05-21 08:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Larne (Post 549623)
Does anyone have the 2006, the stud or the mini poppy for sale? I need these ones to complete my collection.

Will have a check , I may have a 'stud' but I think the 'mini' was an unofficial one and they don't appear that often.

I don't think I've a spare 2006 and the prices for early dated poppies is ridiculous , a 2008 one just went for £120.00 !

Larne 15-05-21 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 549636)
Will have a check , I may have a 'stud' but I think the 'mini' was an unofficial one and they don't appear that often.

I don't think I've a spare 2006 and the prices for early dated poppies is ridiculous , a 2008 one just went for £120.00 !

Yeah I know I have been watching them for ages!!! Haha that was me that got the 2008 one this morning🤣, these hasn't been any posted for ages the 2 come along in one week, just like buses ay haha

If you have a stud one I could buy one you that would be amazing

mike_vee 15-05-21 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larne (Post 549640)
Yeah I know I have been watching them for ages!!! Haha that was me that got the 2008 one this morning��, these hasn't been any posted for ages the 2 come along in one week, just like buses ay haha

If you have a stud one I could buy one you that would be amazing

Looks like that other 2008 one has attracted some interest , it's already up to £29.00 and there are still 6 days to go !

I won't be able to check my 'spares box' until tomorrow but if you are desperate I spotted one on eBay an hour ago (no mention of RBL or Poppy in the listing) that had a 'buy it now' price of £25.00 + £1.95 pp . As I had stuck it on my "watch list" I just got a seller offer for £20.00 + £1.95 pp.

Have sent you a PM.

mike_vee 15-05-21 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 549671)
Looks like that other 2008 one has attracted some interest , it's already up to £29.00 and there are still 6 days to go !

I would want to see photos of the back of this badge , the seller also has a 'single date' 2017 one for sale and as far as I know the RBL only officially produced/sold the 'double dated' 1917-2017 version. Also 2010 poppy with 11 o'clock leaf !

There have been a batch of unusual/rare dated poppies appearing from Northern Ireland , none produced/sold by the RBL in England so either local/branch orders or fakes/copies .