British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Military Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Poppy Appeal Pins (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59241)

mike_vee 02-11-23 07:24 AM

Kohima

3 Attachment(s)
Just ordered a badge from the Kohima Educational Trust , it will be the third version I have.

Oval - RBL

Hexagonal - KET

Round - KET

PS - Mike , I've ordered one for you.

mike_vee 05-11-23 09:31 AM

RBL (Scotland)

1 Attachment(s)
Another addition to the collection , an RBL (Scotland) plastic-free Poppy.

A quick thanks to the forum members who have 'donated' items to my collection , your kindness and generousity is much appreciated. :)

mike_vee 06-11-23 02:20 PM

MET POLICE

2 Attachment(s)
Postman just delivered two Metropolitan Police poppy pins , 2015 and 2021 , so 2 gaps in my set filled ! :D Thank You very much Skippy .

Still hunting for 2007/2012/2014/2017 if anyone has/spots any please let me know. Thanks

mike_vee 10-11-23 02:11 PM

Poppy Supporter

2 Attachment(s)
Another gift , the latest Poppy Supporter Pin . Thank You ?

A great addition to the collection.

Pins/Badges were given to those who donated a monthly amount to the RBL or took part in certain fund raising events.

mike_vee 15-12-23 10:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Postman delivered this nice Australian Remembrance pin , a nice addition to my collection and a very welcome 'gift'. (Thanks Tim)

I like to thank members and fellow collectors for their kindness and generousity in helping me increase my collection. :)

mike_vee 30-12-23 02:03 PM

Poppy Appeal 1940

1 Attachment(s)
Not a badge but the 1940 "British Legion Poppy Annual" !

A wartime "austerity" annual , cover page is magazine quality (rather than hardback) and pages are basic paper with black and white drawins/cartoons.

It is a collection of short stories by various authors includjng H.G.Wells.

A nice bit of WW2 memorabilia .:D

mike_vee 20-01-24 01:16 PM

London Poppy Day

2 Attachment(s)
"The first London Poppy Day took place in November 2006, and was organised by 10 volunteers from the Royal British Legion's Lloyd's of London Branch, who raised £500 for the Poppy Appeal."

Just got hold of a 2018 LPD Poppy Pin to add to the two other dates I already have . :)

Does anyone know when the first dated pin was issued , the earliest I have heard about is 2010 ? I was promised a 2023 pin but unfortunately it never materialised . :(

If anyone has or spots any LPD dated pins please let me know.

Thanks !

mike_vee 21-01-24 11:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A fellow collector just got these from one of his mates !

The small 2014 one shows that they possibly didn't know that the RBL double dated pins would be the larger size.

mike_vee 23-01-24 07:22 AM

Early start !

1 Attachment(s)
PoppyShop already have 2024 dated pins on sale , they are starting earlier every year !

Skippy 23-01-24 11:04 AM

I suppose with significant commemorative events during 2024 such as the 80th anniversary of D-Day coming up fast, some people and likely RBL Standard Bearers will be seeking these in advance of the usual Remembrancetide period.

Cheers……John

mike_vee 23-01-24 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skippy (Post 617961)
I suppose with significant commemorative events during 2024 such as the 80th anniversary of D-Day coming up fast, some people and likely RBL Standard Bearers will be seeking these in advance of the usual Remembrancetide period.

Cheers……John

In the past Poppy Appeal Organisers/Branches used to get their supplies before PoppyShop started selling them.

Last year there were dated poppy pins being 'resold' on eBay before some of the branches even got their initial stock !

Skippy 23-01-24 07:38 PM

The amount of RBL stuff our branch organiser didn't have prior to the annual Poppy Appeal period for the last couple of years has become a bit of a shocker. And its not like RBL central organisation isn't being asked for it and quite frankly they should be throwing the stuff at appeal collectors to offload, instead of having to be begged to send supplies.

We are one of the primary central London branches, yet there were items the public wanted but we didn't have stock of when approached last year, either because we ran out of limited supplies or just never had them in the first place.

Cheers......John

mike_vee 25-01-24 10:10 AM

Poppy Club !

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 613796)
Another gift , the latest Poppy Supporter Pin . Thank You ?

A great addition to the collection.

Pins/Badges were given to those who donated a monthly amount to the RBL or took part in certain fund raising events.

A Poppy Club membership badge and certificate kindly 'donated' to my collection (Thank You !).

It is a great addition to my supporter/fundraiser set . :D

mike_vee 02-02-24 08:53 AM

D-Day 80

1 Attachment(s)
New pin now available from Poppy Shop !

https://www.poppyshop.org.uk/product...oppy-lapel-pin

mike_vee 05-02-24 01:27 PM

Earl Haig badge

1 Attachment(s)
Nice small badge and although the pin is broken (which I knew about) it is a nice addition to the collection.

Mike_2817 05-02-24 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 618755)
Nice small badge and although the pin is broken (which I knew about) it is a nice addition to the collection.

Any idea what it was for Mike?

mike_vee 06-02-24 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_2817 (Post 618787)
Any idea what it was for Mike?

Not really !:confused:

Am sending photo to a few people I know to get their opinions/ideas.

mike_vee 07-02-24 10:01 AM

Earl Haig badge

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 618755)

The seller thought the badge was circa 1940 but it has a lot of similarities with an earlier "Armistice" badge I have. :confused:

mike_vee 12-02-24 02:48 PM

New 2024 badges

1 Attachment(s)
The latest set of badges from Poppy Shop.

mike_vee 17-02-24 12:02 PM

MET POLICE

2 Attachment(s)
Just got hold of a 2007 pin ! :D

Still hunting for 2012/2014/2017 if anyone has/spots any please let me know. Thanks

mike_vee 24-02-24 04:01 PM

Poppy Shop Free Delivery !

PoppyShop have a new free delivery code : FREEPOST

Only problem is when you read the "Terms and Conditions" it states :

Quote:

Offer valid online only at poppyshop.org.uk, excludes orders via phone or order form.

Offer valid until 26 February 2024.
So if you want to save money order now !

mike_vee 06-03-24 08:01 AM

New Poppy Pin

1 Attachment(s)
Latest from Poppy Shop appears to be based on the 'plastic free' poppy , size 4.5cm (L) x 2.6cm (W) (brooch fitting). Cost £10.00 + postage.

Skippy 06-03-24 08:11 AM

Can’t say I like the badge or the price!

Cheers……John

mike_vee 07-03-24 11:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Comparison with 'plastic free' paper poppy.

mike_vee 12-03-24 11:15 AM

Met Police

2 Attachment(s)
Just got the 2012 Metropolitan Police pin , now all I need is 2014 and 2017 to complete the set. :)

If anyone has/spots either , please let me know. Thanks ! :D

mike_vee 13-03-24 10:26 AM

French Fundraising

3 Attachment(s)
Spotted a few French Fundraising pins , popped on bids £1.00 above the highest bid and ended up getting these two !

I hadn't realised how small the Poppy pin was but it is a great little item.

leigh kitchen 13-03-24 10:32 AM

The other one's a cornflower, a nickname for WWI French troops in their blue uniforms wasn't it?

mike_vee 13-03-24 10:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 620773)
The other one's a cornflower, a nickname for WWI French troops in their blue uniforms wasn't it?

Spot on Leigh , the first 'bleuets' were produced in 1916 and the British Legion produced a Somme 100 commemorative badge featuring the Poppy and Bleuet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleuet_de_France

Mike_2817 18-03-24 04:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 618482)
New pin now available from Poppy Shop !

https://www.poppyshop.org.uk/product...oppy-lapel-pin

Poppy Appel DDay80 seems to be same pin

mike_vee 20-03-24 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_2817 (Post 621118)
Poppy Appel DDay80 seems to be same pin

I had heard that "special" pins would be available for D-Day events but now wonder if they are simply the ones already being sold by Poppy Shop ?

Also , Poppy Shop seems to be having supply issues as "Burma 1944-2024" pins ran out within less tahn a week and are no longer showing on the site !

mike_vee 29-03-24 09:08 AM

D-Day 80

2 Attachment(s)
Have just ordered this "Taxi Charity for Military Veterans" badge (via PoppyCabs) as it will go well with the various Poppy Cabs badges.

Mike_2817 29-03-24 11:59 AM

Ordered mine last night as well..

mike_vee 02-04-24 12:51 PM

Taxi Charity for Military Veterans

1 Attachment(s)
Badge arrive today :

It was designed by Taxi Charity volunteer, Susy Goodwin, to raise funds to take veterans to Normandy for the 80th anniversary of D-Day in June 2024.

mike_vee 02-04-24 12:54 PM

Unexpected surprise !

1 Attachment(s)
This badge arrived this morning , I've no idea who it is from but it is a nice addition to my collection.

If it was from a forum member "Thank You ! " :)

mike_vee 06-04-24 01:04 PM

Regional Poppy Pins !

Have been told that the RBL has decided there will be no "Regional" pins as they want to "maintain the Poppy as the hero and longstanding symbol of remembrance and minimise deviation from that as the core message" !

So no Manchester/Welsh/Irish/Isle of Man pins this year , what a load of corporate bullsh*t especially when Poppy Shop was selling Easter Bunny badges and fluffy decorations !

Rant over ! :mad:

mike_vee 10-04-24 08:57 AM

RBLI

1 Attachment(s)
A couple of nice pins from RBLI. :)

mike_vee 13-04-24 12:07 PM

Latest arrivals !

5 Attachment(s)
1. Cardboard (child's) Poppy - The British Legion produced "penny cardboard poppies" (1922-1924) which , according to newpapers at the time, were "being sold to schoolchildren only". The official one (see photo) is different to this one but it is possible that this version was also produced/sold at the same time period.

2. Paper "Haig's Fund" Poppy - Not sure if this is a British or Scottish poppy , date wise late 1940's or 1950's.

3. Small paper poppy - Same size as "childs" one but as yet I have no information if it is an "official" poppy or even if it was associated with the Poppy Appeal . No idea as to date.

mike_vee 13-04-24 12:12 PM

Haig's "other" fundraising .

2 Attachment(s)
During WW1 Earl Haig was also involved with the "Tobacco Fund" , not correct by modern standards but I'm sure the "troops" appreciated his efforts ! :D

mike_vee 26-04-24 09:36 AM

Fundraising !

Just had a quick read of the new (March 2024) RBL Membership Handbook and one item stood out :

"Fundraising - Counties/Districts and branches are not permitted to produce their own branded merchandise."

I think this is wrong , previously branches could apply to RBL for permission to produce items for their own branch or for specific events but since about 2018 they have clamped down and now it appears they have officially banned such items ! ?