British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Indian Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Help needed . . ! (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43268)

Sonofacqms 06-12-14 10:19 PM

Help needed . . !

3 Attachment(s)
I am in the current throes of re-carding some Indian badges and titles, I would appreciate some help with a few that I am unsure of or badges that I do not have a clue what they are.

The first pic has:- IAC which I think is Indian Armoured Corps, IAR ?, 214?,
105?, 57?, 2 (this may not be Indian, possibly Queens West Surrey) and BHARATPUR?

The second pic has:- STATEFORCE ?, MES ?, Bugle with pin fixing in brass ?,
Tigers head with FIDELITES on the scroll, possibly the Bengal Regt?

The third pic has:- white metal castle? a winged wheel with arabic writing?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Sonofacqms 07-12-14 06:11 PM

Help needed . . !

Not arf . . !

55 views and not one reply, these badges are scarce!

Rob

gurkharifles 07-12-14 08:19 PM

Can you tell me the dimensions of the 2 - and does it have a square lug? Tim

sapper533 07-12-14 08:30 PM

Hi
My view for what its worth IAC definitely Indian Armoured Corps, IAR I have seen this listed a number of times as Indian Army Reserve but have never confirmed it and MES this I have seen twice as a locally made title and shown as Middle East Signals but not sure that can be right as why would they not just wear R Sigs titles perhaps any Signals experts can shed light on it?
Cheers
Sean

gurkharifles 07-12-14 08:31 PM

Guess - 105 maybe a shoulder title for the 105th Mahratta Light Infantry ? And 57 could be 57th Wildes Rifles ( Frontier Force) ? Tim

Sonofacqms 07-12-14 10:19 PM

Questions answered

Once again the forum members have come to the fore with answers . . !

gurkharifles, the dimensions of the "2" are 20mm wide x 26mm high, with a round loop, if you have any idea by the dimensions I am interested.

sapper533, The MES being Middle East Signals could well be correct, the Indian Army had "SIGNALS" in a straight title and a curved title, but MES could well have been a forerunner as many Div signs and badges were made to be worn to fool enemy agents 1941-42.

Many thanks for the information and ideas.

Rob

Khyber 08-12-14 03:27 AM

MES is Military Engineering Services ...I have several medals to that unit

gurkharifles 08-12-14 11:31 AM

Hi Rob, there is a reference and photo of a single blackened 2 shoulder title in the Gurkha Museums book on the 2nd Gurkhas - that one measures 19mm x 14mm - so considerably smaller than yours - although there is a reference ( but no photo or measurements ) to an earlier title that was a "large black 2".
So it's a bit speculative - and if anyone has a better or more likely explanation ( 2nd Queens? ) - then I'd go with that. Cheers Tim

pinfrin 08-12-14 12:52 PM

Tigers head with FIDELITES on the scroll, possibly the Bengal Regt ?

= The NBMR (1920 - 1947 version) Goes with your Chota Nagpur Regt Badge !

(I have a silver mini spoon with an identical tiger)

peter monahan 08-12-14 02:43 PM

The brass bugle with stick pin certainly suggests a pagri badge and could be any of a number of IA rifle regiments. I wondered if the castle might be a variation of the Khyber Rifles but it isn't the same castle - theirs has two towers and a gate. A stumper.

The East Bengal Regiment did indeed have a tiger's head badge, but their motto was "Grace, Strength and Speed". I wonder if it might be a pin associated with the Leicestershire Reg't.

Sonofacqms 08-12-14 08:17 PM

Tiger Head

This badge is collar size with two loops N-S and the word "FIDELITER" on the scroll, maybe East Bengal Regt.

The "2" again is speculative and the more I look it could be Queens W. Surrey.

Pinfrin, I'm not sure of your reference to:- = The NBMR (1920 - 1947 version), do I have such a badge?

Anyway many thanks guys, you are a great help.

Regards Rob

pinfrin 08-12-14 10:28 PM

AFI

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofacqms (Post 289138)
This badge is collar size with two loops N-S and the word "FIDELITER" on the scroll, maybe East Bengal Regt.

The "2" again is speculative and the more I look it could be Queens W. Surrey.

Pinfrin, I'm not sure of your reference to:- = The NBMR (1920 - 1947 version), do I have such a badge?

Anyway many thanks guys, you are a great help.

Regards Rob

North Bengal Mounted Rifles. ( Auxiliary Force India, Cavalry )
Badge described as " A snarling Bengal Tiger; below, a scroll inscribed FIDELITER "
Book Reference Appendix 2 (A. Nath )
Can post a pic of my NBMR spoon - badge for a comparison.

This is a companion badge to link with your other AFI badge(s) -
Chota Nagpur Regt. ( Horseshoe, encircling Striking Cobra )

Interesting Auxiliary Force Units: [ Goods & Services linked ]
NBMR - members included Darjeeling Tea Estate Managers
CN Regt - Iron, Coal Miners, Wagon works, E. India
Bihar Light Horse - Indigo Planters, India
Assam Valley Light Horse - again Tea
Kolar Gold Field Bn
Diamond Fields Horse
Malabar Volunteer Rifles - Teak, Pepper

pinfrin 08-12-14 10:46 PM

The third pic has:- white metal castle?

Perhaps a Collar to the Ajmer Regiment ?

Piffer 12-02-15 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinfrin (Post 289156)
The third pic has:- white metal castle?

Perhaps a Collar to the Ajmer Regiment ?

The white metal or silver plated watch tower is a collar badge to the 44th Merwara Infantry.It is illustrated as no. 550 in the book "Sowars and Sepoys in the Great War 1914-1918 ( A. Nath).
Hope that helps,
Piffer

Lampwick 12-02-15 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piffer (Post 298753)
The white metal or silver plated watch tower is a collar badge to the 44th Merwara Infantry.It is illustrated as no. 550 in the book "Sowars and Sepoys in the Great War 1914-1918 ( A. Nath).
Hope that helps,
Piffer

Nice to see the first reference using Ash's book.