British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Police (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Unusual South African Constabulary Badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63275)

QSAMIKE 25-07-17 12:31 AM

Unusual South African Constabulary Badge

2 Attachment(s)
Good Evening Everyone......

I just rec'd the badge as shown to be added to my South African Constabulary collection / display.....

The thing is I have never seen a set of initials like this before and am wondering where it would have been worn, on the shoulder??????

The lugs are the flat 6 sided and the retaining pin is square..... This is the first square pin that I have ever seen......

Any information would be greatly appreciated.....

Mike

Traist 25-07-17 04:43 PM

Hi Mike, very nice indeed. I haven't seen this before. I have checked mine and they are all horizontal, not vertical. They also have round lugs not square. Not sure where it would have been worn, As you know, I also have a keen interest in the SAC, so if you turn up any more info, I would be happy to learn. Have a great evening. Andrew

QSAMIKE 25-07-17 07:13 PM

Thank You Andrew.....

It is a puzzle to me also, I have gone through every book that I have and nothing......

Mike

QSAMIKE 27-07-17 08:20 PM

Good Afternoon Everyone.....

I just got off the phone with the man who wrote the book on the South African Constabulary and he told me that he is 99% sure that this badge is one of the Prototypes that that Baden-Powell ordered from Birmingham when the SAC was founded...... He rejected it and went with the horizontal badge..... He has a Brass QV crown badge that was a prototype with the square lugs..... Neither badge though has a makers mark.....

Mike

Roy 27-07-17 09:07 PM

Hi Mike,

Thank you for sharing this new information. Aside from it being very interesting and if correct of course, it would seem you have a lovely little find to add to your collection. A tentative but very hopeful...well done..:)

Cheerio,

Roy

Traist 28-07-17 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QSAMIKE (Post 414528)
Good Afternoon Everyone.....

I just got off the phone with the man who wrote the book on the South African Constabulary and he told me that he is 99% sure that this badge is one of the Prototypes that that Baden-Powell ordered from Birmingham when the SAC was founded...... He rejected it and went with the horizontal badge..... He has a Brass QV crown badge that was a prototype with the square lugs..... Neither badge though has a makers mark.....

Mike

Thanks Mike, that is indeed a great find then. Can't be more than a hand full of those around. Have a great evening. Regards Andrew

7923BSAP 16-08-17 08:27 PM

I have just seen this, I had acquired a set of these but without the backing plate and pin. Wondered how it fitted into the uniform, could it have been used on headress?
Bill

QSAMIKE 16-08-17 09:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Bill.....

Individual letters were used on the epaulets....

See Photo.....

Mike

Milmed 17-08-17 03:48 AM

Hi Mike,
Took a look at my copy of Tylden (The armed forces of SA 1659 - 1954) and he mentions when discussing the SAC uniform - 'The first shoulder titles were the initials worn vertically. This was altered to the usual horizontal pattern' - and he references a Lt.Col Lane in the Feb 1946 edition of Nongqai and notes from a CR Prance esq. of Port St.Johns.

Regards
Steen

QSAMIKE 17-08-17 03:50 AM

Thank You Steen......

The mystery is solved.....

Mike

7923BSAP 17-08-17 07:59 AM

Thanks all, most helpful. I have 2 oficers epauletts with normal SAC.
Bill

Charterhouse.ca 25-01-18 10:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I am a new member of this site. I am interested in anything related to the South African Constabulary.

I am most interested in this conversation. I also have a vertical badge, but without a backing and round eyelets. Has anyone seen this one before?

Attachment 183895

Attachment 183896