British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Formation Signs and Patches (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Singapore Command (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31511)

High Wood 20-04-13 06:52 PM

Singapore District

2 Attachment(s)
I have seen a printed version of this sign but until now I have not seen an embroidered example. Could anyone please tell me if this version is known, when it dates from and up until what date it was worn?

Thank you.

Old Smelly 21-04-13 06:50 PM

I have one similar that I believe is an original local made example, I think they are 1950s but not sure. There is another recent thread on this patch in the mystery/unknown section
Lee

High Wood 22-04-13 12:57 PM

Thank you; mine came from a house clearance and was cheap as chips so I think that they are genuine examples.

kitinsignia 31-07-13 04:14 PM

Singapore District Formation Sign

Hi, what you have there is a Singapore District Formation Sign used sometime after the war. By the way there is no Singapore Command, before the WWII Singapore was under Malaya Command. :)

Mike Jackson 31-07-13 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitinsignia (Post 222167)
Hi, what you have there is a Singapore District Formation Sign used sometime after the war. By the way there is no Singapore Command, before the WWII Singapore was under Malaya Command. :)

Singapore District was formed in Feb 46 and it originally included a small part of the-then Netherlands East Indies (the Riow Peninsular). The District reverted to just Singapore Island (and its small off-shore islands) in Nov 47 when British Forces left the NEI and the Riow Peninsular was handed back to the Dutch authorities. There were numerous variants of the formation sign, many being locally made - such as those at the start of this thread. The sign was in use from the mid-1940s through until the early 1970s.

Apollinari 08-10-18 06:55 AM

Position

How far down the sleeves were these worn? Were they always worn in a pair?

grey_green_acorn 08-10-18 09:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apollinari (Post 456304)
How far down the sleeves were these worn? Were they always worn in a pair?

Worn on the upper arm. I have both left and right facing examples but in the printed type only right facing.

Tim

Apollinari 09-10-18 02:27 AM

Ah, many thanks Tim. Approximately how far from the top of the sleeve / epaulette would they sit do you think?

John Cleese in 'Privates on Parade' only wears the one right-facing patch on his right sleeve, but it certainly is the right patch.

grey_green_acorn 09-10-18 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apollinari (Post 456415)
Ah, many thanks Tim. Approximately how far from the top of the sleeve / epaulette would they sit do you think?

John Cleese in 'Privates on Parade' only wears the one right-facing patch on his right sleeve, but it certainly is the right patch.

On Jungle Green / Olive Green bush shirt or jacket worn about 2+ inches or 50mm+ below the shoulder seam. If on Battle Dress about the same but worn below a cloth shoulder title.

Some formation badges would be on poppers / press studs if the garment needed regular laundering.

Tim

Apollinari 09-10-18 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn (Post 456452)
On Jungle Green / Olive Green bush shirt or jacket worn about 2+ inches or 50mm+ below the shoulder seam. If on Battle Dress about the same but worn below a cloth shoulder title.

Some formation badges would be on poppers / press studs if the garment needed regular laundering.

Tim

Excellent info, thank you Tim, I'm very grateful.

In the India forum I've posted a question about coloured backings on Indian Army rank pips. Have been searching for months to find out about them. I wonder if by any chance your knowledge extends to that?

Best wishes,
Eddie

grey_green_acorn 15-10-18 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apollinari (Post 456479)
Excellent info, thank you Tim, I'm very grateful.

In the India forum I've posted a question about coloured backings on Indian Army rank pips. Have been searching for months to find out about them. I wonder if by any chance your knowledge extends to that?

Best wishes,
Eddie

Eddie,
Sorry, I have no specific knowledge on Indian Army coloured rank badge backings. I might assume that they followed the British Army pattern with yellow for cavalry and scarlet for infantry etc.

Tim

leigh kitchen 19-12-18 07:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn (Post 456315)
Worn on the upper arm. I have both left and right facing examples but in the printed type only right facing.

Tim

Left (and right) facing printed versions.

Hendo 26-01-19 01:29 AM

Singapore Bullion patches

I have attempted to post some more Singapore Varients but my iPhone will not allow me to upload to the thread - have a look st the images in my photo gallery if you want to see some other variations- bullion etc

Mike Jackson 26-01-19 04:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That is a superb gallery. Almost certainly the best collection of myriad variations on signs worn post-WW2 in Malaya, Singapore and Malaysia. And a pair of mint Jungle Warfare School signs - very desirable. I particularly like the tailor-made FARELF signs with subtitles Malaya, Johore Bahru etc. A couple of my examples attached.
Attachment 200546

Postwarden 26-01-19 10:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
An example of the sign sewn to battle dress below an arm title.

Jon