British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introduction Zone (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Hiya all (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15651)

Fatboy Ken 01-04-11 11:26 PM

Hiya all

My name is Ken, I'm new to this forum and wish to say hello to you all. :D
I'm ex RCT, with my main interests in Badges and buttons of the Royal Waggon Train to the Royal Logistics Corps.

I've found there is little or no interest in the Corps and it is hard to find Older badges of the corps. :D

I'll be looking around here, and asking questions as time moves on, ........... cheers everyone.

1st question:-
What is the difference between;
a. Army Service Corps (Cap) badge K/C "pre WW1" and
b. Austrailian Army Service Corps (Cap) badge K/C "pre WW1" ???
(I didn't think there was any):confused:

HMPbadges 02-04-11 12:50 AM

Hi Ken and welcome mate,

I remember the RCT being known as either "Rickshaws, Cab's and Taxi's" or "The Londoners" - as most were Cockney Geezers! Stay with this site as it's the absolute best, ask as many questions as you like and someone will give you an answer ;)

Fatboy Ken 02-04-11 12:05 PM

Hahaha
Well we used to call ourselves, "REAL COOL TRUCKERS" !!!
I have no idea why though ???:rolleyes:

engr9266 02-04-11 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatboy Ken (Post 107325)
Hahaha
Well we used to call ourselves, "REAL COOL TRUCKERS" !!!
I have no idea why though ???:rolleyes:

Hi KEN and wlecome to the forum. It must have been all that hair gel to stop your "long hair" blowing in the wind :D If you can help to fill the gaps......
Here is my small collection of Loggy's badges

Peter Brydon 02-04-11 03:15 PM

Royal Corps of Transport= RCT =Real Cool Truckers

P.B.

paj1 02-04-11 05:08 PM

Hi ken and a warm welcome to the forum.
you will find plenty of help from members here.
regards julian

Artynut 02-04-11 07:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Hello Ken, You mentioned in your questions the Australian Service Corps. Does that mean you're into the Commonwealth Corps badges as well? Here's a few of my surplus to requirements including a "Foreigner: Best regards, DJ.

johnG 02-04-11 08:10 PM

Hi Ken
Welcome to the forum. I am pretty ken on military band music, and although to me nothing will ever touch the Royal Marines for that, one of the top favourites in my old LP collection used to be the band of the Royal Corps of Transport. They were real good.

Cheers,

John

Bantam 03-04-11 11:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatboy Ken (Post 107267)
My name is Ken, I'm new to this forum and wish to say hello to you all. :D
I'm ex RCT, with my main interests in Badges and buttons of the Royal Waggon Train to the Royal Logistics Corps.

I've found there is little or no interest in the Corps and it is hard to find Older badges of the corps. :D

I'll be looking around here, and asking questions as time moves on, ........... cheers everyone.

1st question:-
What is the difference between;
a. Army Service Corps (Cap) badge K/C "pre WW1" and
b. Austrailian Army Service Corps (Cap) badge K/C "pre WW1" ???
(I didn't think there was any):confused:

Hi Fatboy Ken,
Welcome to the forum.There is a difference in the pre WW1 ASC badges the Australian badge bears the motto "Par Oneri"(We share the burden)There were two patterns see Australian Army Badges vol 2 by J.K.Cussom fig 89 fig 90.
Here is a photo of the 1911 badge as Cossum's fig 90.
Regards
Bantam

Fatboy Ken 03-04-11 11:18 AM

Hiya Jerry

I've noticed you havn't got the
"Queens Own Gurkha Logistics Regiment" badges anywhere, is there a reason ?? :cool:

They are part of 10 Transport Regiment RLC now, the badges are going pretty cheap at the moment, maybe because not many people are aware of the fact. :)
The problem is, I believe, the fact that the corps has increased 10 fold now, with the amalgamation of the other units that you really have to look closer at each one. They've changed the rank structure about as well, all OR's are now listed as "Privates", ........ no more drivers left :mad::mad::mad: lol
PS I'll have to master the uploads for photo's as I can't place a photo of the QOGLR badge, ....... sorry :(:(

Fatboy Ken 03-04-11 11:20 AM

Thank you Julian :-)

Fatboy Ken 03-04-11 11:34 AM

That's great Bantam, I'll keep an eye out for them.

In reply to "ARTYNUT" "No, I only collect British badges at the moment" the reason being it's taking all my efforts to find "our" corps badges, there are so many variations of them that it's hard to find good decent ones as you more backwards in time.

The Land Transport Corp (I believe each Regiment had it's own Badges, Colours and Badges/Flags for the Divisions it was attached too) "7 in all"
The Military Train
Commissariat & Transport Department

I havn't found one as of yet, been looking for years, I decided long back to limit my collection to cap badges only, or OR's (other ranks), ..... but that went out the window. I now collect collar badges, officers badges, .... yep I even collect Squadron shields, but only of units I've served with, which are many.

Fatboy Ken 03-04-11 11:49 AM

Oh just for your information only guys

The Army Service Corp (QVC) helmet plate badges were only issued with black cloth backing, they were not a "Royal Regiment", only regiments with royal connections were allowed to wear a "RED" backing cloth to their helmet plates.

Cheers Fatboy Ken

Fatboy Ken 03-04-11 11:55 AM

Hiya John

Yes the Corps band was an exceptional band, and was wanted everywhere, all over the world, Have you gotten hold of the bands RCT Shako headdress ??? they are few and far between. You say "you used to have" ?? does that mean you've lost the album ??
There are a few on ebay. :-)

engr9266 03-04-11 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatboy Ken (Post 107452)
Hiya Jerry

I've noticed you havn't got the
"Queens Own Gurkha Logistics Regiment" badges anywhere, is there a reason ?? :cool:

They are part of 10 Transport Regiment RLC now, the badges are going pretty cheap at the moment, maybe because not many people are aware of the fact. :)
The problem is, I believe, the fact that the corps has increased 10 fold now, with the amalgamation of the other units that you really have to look closer at each one. They've changed the rank structure about as well, all OR's are now listed as "Privates", ........ no more drivers left :mad::mad::mad: lol
PS I'll have to master the uploads for photo's as I can't place a photo of the QOGLR badge, ....... sorry :(:(

Thanks for that Ken, I did not know they have became part of 10 Transport Regiment RLC. I only collect Gurkha Engineers but will have to get the QOGLR badges now:)