British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off topic (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Technical Query (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72700)

Jelly Terror 13-03-19 03:20 PM

Technical Query

1 Attachment(s)
Is there a way to conduct a search which will bring up a specific combination of words within a thread/post?

I have recently tried the ‘Search’ facility to locate posts on the ‘Special Brigade’ of the Great War. But when I type in both words together, the results which come up are of posts containing both of these words but in separate sentences, which is not what I am looking for (example below).

So I then tried placing the words within inverted commas like this: “Special Brigade”, but this only produced similar results to my first search.

Is there a way of searching that pinpoints the exact combination of words being sought?

With thanks,

JT

Wooffy 13-03-19 07:10 PM

Put the words inbetween ""

so a search for Observer Corps will produce results that show pages with the words Observer and Corps anywhere on the page.

Putting them like this: "Observer Corps" will return only matches that have that exact phrase in place

Wooffy 13-03-19 07:12 PM

Just looked at your picture - so in your case type:

"Special Brigade"

(including the " " ) in the search box and it should solve your problem

Jelly Terror 13-03-19 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wooffy (Post 472102)
Just looked at your picture - so in your case type:

"Special Brigade"

(including the " " ) in the search box and it should solve your problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelly Terror (Post 472063)
Is there a way to conduct a search which will bring up a specific combination of words within a thread/post?

I have recently tried the ‘Search’ facility to locate posts on the ‘Special Brigade’ of the Great War. But when I type in both words together, the results which come up are of posts containing both of these words but in separate sentences, which is not what I am looking for (example below).

So I then tried placing the words within inverted commas like this: “Special Brigade”, but this only produced similar results to my first search.

Is there a way of searching that pinpoints the exact combination of words being sought?

With thanks,

JT

Wooffy,

Thanks for your replies. This I have already tried, but it seems not to be effective. Am I perhaps missing something obvious?

Ah yes, perhaps I am. Thinking about it, I wonder if in the absense of any possible results (if the phrase does not actually exists within any forum thread) the alternive results are presented in lieu?

Which would mean the desired results would be produced if such a phrase were available. It's the absence of the phrase within forum threads that is producing the lack of success, rather than the actual search method employed.

You got me to use my laughably meagre grey matter where I otherwise wouldn't have. Thank you :):)

JT

btns 13-03-19 09:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
May I suggest to run a focused forum search using Google?

Jelly Terror 13-03-19 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btns (Post 472129)
May I suggest to run a focused forum search using Google?

That's an excellent idea. Thank you.

JT

Phil2M 14-03-19 01:32 AM

Special Brigade should have results now. In this thread.

Not going to help the next poor b****r much, is it? :D

Alex Rice 14-03-19 08:44 AM

Hi JT
Another thing to try is to put an underscore ( _ )between the two words, so it would be special_brigade.
Cheers
Alex

Alan O 14-03-19 09:36 AM

To find special brigade then search for "special+brigade"

using the double apostrophe and the 'plus' sign to get that phrase.

If you add apostrophes either side of both words it will find both words in the thread but not necessarily next to each other.

Wmr-RHB 14-03-19 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelly Terror (Post 472063)

With thanks,

JT

It might be a bit late, but you talk about "inverted commas" and it looks as if you have indeed something like that. That is too difficult for a search engine. Just use the bland " (double quote) for both characters.

Jelly Terror 14-03-19 01:50 PM

Thanks all. Your time and advice very much appreciated.

JT