British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Bosley's Auction (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90121)

Volunteer Soldier 29-06-22 10:30 AM

Bosley's Auction

Buy the auction lot and not the auctioneer. All well and good but am I alone in finding the auctioneer's comments both inane and childish? Perhaps un-professional would describe him better. This morning I planned to bid on two items, however I found greater relief and satisfaction in switching off the computer.

Luke H 29-06-22 10:51 AM

Sounds like something occurred. Pray do tell?

BROOKIES 29-06-22 11:12 AM

Mr Kipling does exceedingly good cherry bakewell cakes :):)

Bet like me you're shouting f'ing get on with it ??

Ta

Jonathan

Volunteer Soldier 29-06-22 12:32 PM

Bakewell tarts, Fish and Chips - a whole host of inane, childish comments made one wonder if the auctioneer intended to be at a kindergarten rather than at an auction. He then had the temerity to ask bidders to hasten their bidding.

Keith Blakeman 29-06-22 02:17 PM

It was a bit annoying, isn’t it held in an empty room too? Glad I got my one lot I was after in the mid-30’s then switched it off.

Waterloo1815 29-06-22 04:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't forget the marzipan!!!!!
First time I've logged-in live to Bosley's, couldn't believe what I was hearing!
Luckily the Lot I wanted to bid on was only an hour or so into the auction, so I could switch it off fairly quickly. Didn't get what I was after unfortunately as the bidding was too rich for my blood.
I did catch-up later to see how the Canadian trophy belt went for (not my thing, just curious); £880.00 as it happens.
Regards,
Leo

Fatherofthree 29-06-22 08:48 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

He is a supercilious, jumped up, think he knows it all little twat.

And yes, as you can probably determine from that....................I dislike the little man intensely.

I wouldn't purchase anything from any of his websites nor auctions, even if it was a piece I would dearly love to have.

Regards.

Brian.

BROOKIES 01-07-22 09:29 AM

Just been on site of Laidlaw's auction of militaria today.

What a difference, rattling thru the lots (estimates 160 an hr), starting by outlining what was going to happen (just saying the lot number and general description "you have had time to read/study the description") and internet bidders bid early and no hovering.

What an auctioneer, way to do it, no messing around, going to sell, bang the hammers down "internet your too late"

Ta

Jonathan

Keith Blakeman 01-07-22 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BROOKIES (Post 582614)
Just been on site of Laidlaw's auction of militaria today.

What a difference, rattling thru the lots (estimates 160 an hr), starting by outlining what was going to happen (just saying the lot number and general description "you have had time to read/study the description") and internet bidders bid early and no hovering.

What an auctioneer, way to do it, no messing around, going to sell, bang the hammers down "internet your too late"

Ta

Jonathan

But the badge lots in their auction are full of rubbish which they fail to mention.

altcar73 01-07-22 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman (Post 582616)
But the badge lots in their auction are full of rubbish which they fail to mention.

I've never come across any auctioneer who says "By the way this lot is full of rubbish, I'll just mention that so you'll know". Its your job as the potential bidder to look at the images in advance of the auction. If you don't like the look of what you see don't bid. If you are unsure ask for additional images or ask questions. If the auctioneer does not respond then don't bid. Its quite simple really.

Dave.

Keith Blakeman 01-07-22 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by altcar73 (Post 582623)
I've never come across any auctioneer who says "By the way this lot is full of rubbish, I'll just mention that so you'll know". Its your job as the potential bidder to look at the images in advance of the auction. If you don't like the look of what you see don't bid. If you are unsure ask for additional images or ask questions. If the auctioneer does not respond then don't bid. Its quite simple really.

Dave.

As if I expect them to state it's rubbish, am I really that stupid? How about provide an honest service and actually assess what they're selling at to whether its genuine or not and list it accordingly rather than just 'sundry badges'.

I think I can make my own mind up whether it's worth bidding on or not, I have been around a bit you know.

BROOKIES 01-07-22 11:55 AM

Good afternoon.

Only interested in a medal so in/out within 15 mins, so don't know about the badges. But boy he was shifting through the lots which is what I like to see happen.

Ta

Jonathan

mooke07 01-07-22 01:17 PM

I bid and won on a single badge I wanted. So from the other side of the world with no fairs to speak of it is one of the only ways I can add to one of my collections. Did I pay a fair price, well I paid a price I could afford and of my own free will. Like life it is all a question of perspective.

Cheers Dean

Peter Brydon 01-07-22 01:57 PM

My own personal opinion is that auctions can proceed at too fast a pace so nobody knows who is bidding or if bids are coming off the back wall or if lots are being knocked down to a regular buyer at a lower price than might have been achieved if other bidders would have bid more if they had been given more time for consideration.

I am not suggesting that they should be done at the leisurely pace of fine art auctions by Sotheby’s and Christie’s but there must be a centre ground.

As I say my own personal opinion, I am sure a lot of members will disagree.

P.

41st 01-07-22 02:11 PM

I was more than happy with the way the Laidlaw auction was conducted. I was the highest bidder on a medal lot and thought it was auctioned in a professional manner and have no complaints whatsoever about how the other bids came in.