British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Artillery Helmet badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49222)

Tony B 29-10-15 04:19 AM

Artillery Helmet badge

1 Attachment(s)
G'day all,
If I was looking to purchase an artllery badge to replicate the one on the attached photo – what shoud I be looking for? i.e. fixtures, wheel etc. I believe the photo was taken 1942 SAA 5th Field Regement.
Any help appreciated.
Tony

54Bty 29-10-15 01:59 PM

One of these I would think.

Marc

leigh kitchen 29-10-15 03:05 PM

Ovdrlaid wheel shown on the helmet?

magpie 29-10-15 03:26 PM

Agreed

Tony B 29-10-15 10:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 329176)
Ovdrlaid wheel

Thanks. As there appear to be many variations of this particular SAA badge I was trying to acertain if the one I have is the correct match.
Tony

Brian Conyngham 30-10-15 01:24 PM

Hi

Yes there were a number of Kings Crown versions for WW 2. Marc's choice would be a good one, darkened brass was common on the pith/polo helmets.

Brian

leigh kitchen 30-10-15 01:53 PM

Would they have a variety of fittings?

Madziro 01-11-15 04:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have only seen standard lugs for the SA Arty badges. For interest a bit of info. I construct these badge cards from the badges in the collection.

manchesters 01-11-15 04:56 PM

Madziro

I have never seen a collar badge like the one you have in your collection, labelled 1915-19, the one with the pointed grenade and chevron below.

Do you have a better photo of it please?

regards

Tony B 02-11-15 12:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Dudley,
Very nice presentation. For interest in ref. to your grenade collar badge dated 1926-1939. If I remember correctly it was Brian in response to an earlier query of mine, based on the attached pic. He suggested it may have still been issued to trainees in the interim prior to deployment. The photo was taken in Potchefstroom, 1941.
Tony

Madziro 03-11-15 10:20 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Greetings Gents.

Many thanks for the info. It is always appreciated. I have taken the liberty of posting a scan of the collar badge in question as requested. Have also attached some of the other badge cards on the SA Arty for interest. I am always looking for corrections and additional info.

Kind regards

Dudley

Madziro 03-11-15 10:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
As an aside - a card on the SA Heavy Artillery for interest.

Tony B 04-11-15 02:06 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Hello again gents,
Dudley, Re: your image group 4. University Regements.
I was called up for National Service in 1966. Served with the 10th Anti-Aircraft Artillery, Youngsfield, University of Cape Town Regement.

I was discharged in 1967. The badges you show for this regement were most probably issued some time after that. Even after discharge as a reserve I was unaware of them. So maybe altough oficially adopted in 1963, it took a while for them to filter down and actually be issued.

Atached my issued badges:
1. Cap badge. We buffed the centre hub detail flat to give more shine when on parade & inspection.
2. Lapel badge from L-R. a. As issued. b. Centre partially buffed to give more shine for inspection. c. orb completely buffed for extra sparkle.
3. Shoulder title.
4. Batlle dress embroidered arm patch.
5. And of course buttons.

Brian Conyngham 04-11-15 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony B (Post 329951)
Hello again gents,
Dudley, Re: your image group 4. University Regements.
I was called up for National Service in 1966. Served with the 10th Anti-Aircraft Artillery, Youngsfield, University of Cape Town Regement.

I was discharged in 1967. The badges you show for this regement were most probably issued some time after that. Even after discharge as a reserve I was unaware of them. So maybe altough oficially adopted in 1963, it took a while for them to filter down and actually be issued.

Atached my issued badges:
1. Cap badge. We buffed the centre hub detail flat to give more shine when on parade & inspection.
2. Lapel badge from L-R. a. As issued. b. Centre partially buffed to give more shine for inspection. c. orb completely buffed for extra sparkle.
3. Shoulder title.
4. Batlle dress embroidered arm patch.
5. And of course buttons.

Tony

The buffing off/filing off of the rough section went on into the 1970's. I did my brothers issues and then he had them chromed. We kept the South Africa circular scroll however. He was at Art School and 14th Field.

Brian

milhistry 05-11-15 03:05 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 329325)
Would they have a variety of fittings?

Mine mostly have three lugs at the back but I have one cast version that has square lugs. Photos to compare.