British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Unknown Soldier (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73011)

ansellmw 31-03-19 10:06 AM

Unknown Soldier

1 Attachment(s)
My relation who owns this photo has given me permission to post it in the forum.
It was originally owned by her grandmother but the soldier is unknown.... maybe a beau?
Sorry about the poor quality of the photograph.
She'd be pleased to have any advice about the distinctive cap badge and uniform, rank, medals, regiment and period.
Many thanks!

Bill A 31-03-19 12:19 PM

Hello ansellmw, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.

grenadierguardsman 31-03-19 01:06 PM

Grenadier Guards. Egypt campaign medals.
Andy

ansellmw 31-03-19 01:46 PM

Andy,
I assume that's the Egyptian Campaign of 1882?
Following your advice I've found a photo on the "Royal Collection Trust" website entitled "Four Soldiers From The Grenadier Guards Who Served In The Anglo Egyptian War c 1882" who are wearing the same uniform ... so many thanks!
One difference though is that none of the medals they wear are star shaped. Do you know if such a medal was given during that Egyptian campaign?
Also is it possible to tell the rank of the soldier from the collar badges (or anything else)? I assumed the diamond shaped object on the collar signified an officer - but probably not - and I don't know what the round object is on the collar.

bess55 31-03-19 02:49 PM

The 'Star' shaped medal would be The Khedive's star. The first medal would probably be the Egypt medal, but it is difficult to see the hangar to be sure - additionally this medal has a white and blue striped ribbon, again unclear. Cant see if either have any additional clasps.

Regards all

Bess

grenadierguardsman 31-03-19 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ansellmw (Post 474018)
Andy,
I assume that's the Egyptian Campaign of 1882?
Following your advice I've found a photo on the "Royal Collection Trust" website entitled "Four Soldiers From The Grenadier Guards Who Served In The Anglo Egyptian War c 1882" who are wearing the same uniform ... so many thanks!
One difference though is that none of the medals they wear are star shaped. Do you know if such a medal was given during that Egyptian campaign?
Also is it possible to tell the rank of the soldier from the collar badges (or anything else)? I assumed the diamond shaped object on the collar signified an officer - but probably not - and I don't know what the round object is on the collar.

The collar has the Grenade on it, i believe the diamond you mention is actually the flame part of the grenade.
Andy

ansellmw 31-03-19 04:57 PM

Thank you very much. I appreciate your help.