British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Parcel diverted and in customs (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70823)

Khyber 22-11-18 04:07 AM

Parcel diverted and in customs

Hello,
A badge sent for me by Royal Mail to India has wrongly been sent to the US via USPS ..On 19th it showed arrived at Chicago and the next day that it was on way to destination .so I presumed it was rerouted to the UK or India, but today I see a message that says inbound with US customs.
Why does it have to go through US customs and what is likely to happen next? How soon does US customs clear packages and will they realise the mistake at that stage and send it back?
I had a similar thing happening a couple of years back and it was rerouted safely though it was delayed by a couple of weeks, but I don't recall it being sent to customs..

I guess I'll jsut have to wait and watch but can anyone tell me how this works in the US.

Khyber 22-11-18 10:09 AM

Latest update says had departed USPS Chicago facility in transit to destination, but I don't know where they're sending it further into the country or outside to UK/India..is there any way to check?

High Wood 22-11-18 03:31 PM

I had a similar experience sending a small parcel to Australia. The tracking told me that it was currently in China. It did eventually arrive safely.

Roy 22-11-18 03:33 PM

I've had a similar thing happen,

It seems that sometimes they 'bounce' these things around with no rhyme or reason. But normally they turn up....eventually...:mad:

Cheerio,

Roy

Khyber 22-11-18 05:08 PM

Thanks guys. Guess I'll have to sweat it out for a few more days.

Frank Kelley 22-11-18 08:22 PM

I don't understand, if it was sent by Royal Mail to India, how can it subsequently have been sent to the USA by USPS?:confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khyber (Post 460407)
Hello,
A badge sent for me by Royal Mail to India has wrongly been sent to the US via USPS ..On 19th it showed arrived at Chicago and the next day that it was on way to destination .so I presumed it was rerouted to the UK or India, but today I see a message that says inbound with US customs.
Why does it have to go through US customs and what is likely to happen next? How soon does US customs clear packages and will they realise the mistake at that stage and send it back?
I had a similar thing happening a couple of years back and it was rerouted safely though it was delayed by a couple of weeks, but I don't recall it being sent to customs..

I guess I'll jsut have to wait and watch but can anyone tell me how this works in the US.

Roy 22-11-18 08:33 PM

Hi Frank,

I have seen this happen many times both between countries and (US) states. It seems illogical I know but if there is no direct transport (or it it missed it) then they seem to send it to the moon and back with a view that it will get to it's destination sooner or (more likely) later.

Cheerio,

Roy

hagwalther 23-11-18 12:23 AM

I send one of my books to a guy in Afghanistan.

Yes, it got lost.

They found it in a backstreet post office in Moscow and it got to him a few days later.

Regards,

Chris

Khyber 23-11-18 03:02 AM

I've had a badge go the US and one to Italy last year but they both arrived safely though there was a delay of a couple of weeks. So just hoping this arrives even if it is a couple of weeks late. Touch wood!

Phil2M 23-11-18 12:45 PM

I've got three orders, from SA, that I paid for in June. There is no sign of them yet.

slick_mick 25-11-18 10:23 PM

Royal Mail aren't the only ones challenged when it comes to mis-sending mail!

A special kind of stupid!

Mick

Mike_2817 26-11-18 11:37 AM

A few years back I had a package sent from Newcastle (UK) to Harrogate NORTH YORKSHIRE which was delivered via Harrogate TENNESSEE in the good old US of A - OK it had no post code but clearly marked North Yorkshire.. It arrived back in the UK after its diversion in 26 days! after I had written it off.......