British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Thanks to "The Antiques Road Trip"....... (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86575)

oc14 24-09-21 06:14 PM

Thanks to "The Antiques Road Trip".......

8 Attachment(s)
Ok, a bit of a confession, I have a guilty little secret......I rather enjoy watching the constant re-runs of the Antiques Road Trip (normally watch on a Sunday evening whilst ironing (another little secret out of the bag). I enjoy seeing antiques shops and centres that I have never seen or heard of before and sometime, if in the area, visit some of these outlets.
Today was one such day.
After asking the lady in the office if there was anything military, the answer was "no" (other than the overpriced 1939-45 star in one of the cabinets). As the centre was in my late father's home town, we had a bit of a chat about the local area. All of a sudden she remembered a tin in a cupboard with a few bits in...

I left the centre as the owner of 3, WW2 period 17th (Indian) Division Locally Made Formation Badges (all slightly different) - two with SEAC (South East Asia Command) titles attached, there was also a pair of fibre dogtags bearing the name H Kilvington and the service number 3604685 and a couple of medal ribbon bars (one including the ribbon of the Burma Star. A little bit of research shows that the service number was from the block allocated to the Border Regiment. Only one Battalion of the Border Regiment served with the 17th (Indian) Division and that was the 9th Battalion which was raised in Workington in 1940 so pretty safe to assume that Mr Kilvington served with that unit....oh and there was quite a nice WW1 King's Liverpool Regiment bimetal cap badge too.....

Enjoy!

PL

leigh kitchen 24-09-21 06:21 PM

Hmmmm - sure you don't watch it 'cos of Fiona Bruce?

Phil2M 24-09-21 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 560330)

She's the roadshow, mate :D

oc14 24-09-21 06:36 PM

Quote:

I think she's Antiques Roadshow.....more of a Catherine Southon fan to be honest ....

leigh kitchen 24-09-21 06:57 PM

Yes, I'd just realised - I can hack the Road Show but not the Road Trip. That Jonty someone and his John Cleese legs everywhere act is really naff.

Phil2M 24-09-21 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 560338)
Yes, I'd just realised - I can hack the Road Show but not the Road Trip. That Jonty someone and his John Cleese legs everywhere act is really naff.

Charles Hanson is the one I can't stand.

leigh kitchen 24-09-21 07:27 PM

I think he's the bloke I mean, not a Jonty - him (I'm an equal ops hater).
Anyway, enough of my going off at a tangent
and maligning the wrong man in the wrong programme - nice badges.

High Wood 24-09-21 07:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Paul,

a cracking find, if you are moving it on please let me know.

Simon.

NORMANDIE18 24-09-21 08:33 PM

Very nice catches ! Well done & thanks for sharing :)
Normandie18

dumdum 25-09-21 07:42 AM

Quote:

I only watch it for the articles.... Seem to have heard that excuse used somewhere else, I think.;)

oc14 25-09-21 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by High Wood (Post 560344)
Paul,

a cracking find, if you are moving it on please let me know.

Simon.

Hadn't even thought of checking the Burma Star Association records !
Nice to know that my hunch reference the 9th Battalion was correct !

PM inbound

Paul

Padre 25-09-21 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oc14 (Post 560333)
I think she's Antiques Roadshow.....more of a Catherine Southon fan to be honest ....

I bought a Lot at Catherine Southern's auction about two and a half years ago, because of some rare shoulder titles, which were within a mixed Lot. She holds her auctions at a golf club so I went down on the train to collect as one item was a silver Dunhill lighter which they wouldn't post as its a dodgy item post-wise. Anyway, it turned out to be about an hour and twenty minutes walk from the station (much uphill!), and after getting to the golf club was about another 15 minutes walk unless you went straight across the green. Catherine was there just tidying everything up, and after asking where I had come from (and finding it was a trek) she offered me a lift back to the station!

Although I dont collect them, a nice set of formation badges and the 'SEAC' titles!

Cannoneer 25-09-21 01:08 PM

Do read “Quartered Safe out Here” by George Macdonald Fraser, all about this Bn, when serving as a junior rank. He later wrote the “Flashman books.

PeterB 26-09-21 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oc14 (Post 560329)
I enjoy seeing antiques shops and centres that I have never seen or heard of before and sometime, if in the area, visit some of these outlets.
PL

Snap! The wife and I do exactly the same as well as going to places we see on "Salvage Hunters" (we often walk around places remarking "That's the kind of cr*p that Drew would buy." to each other)

Waterloo1815 29-09-21 09:35 AM

Charles Hanson & Drew, that would make an interesting road trip dynamic!