British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Imperial Service Tablet (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78244)

gb64 12-04-20 08:26 PM

Imperial Service Tablet

Hi all, just found this 402219619394 ( sorry never can add the link from my phone) on my evening search of eBay, very interesting never seen this before , now I can add one of these to my cap badge collection.

Gerard

Fatherofthree 12-04-20 09:01 PM

Here you are.

Very interesting.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-soldi...UAAOSw0iNekuLl

Regards.

Brian

gb64 12-04-20 09:08 PM

Thanks Brian appreciate that, hope your well, as you say interesting, just noticed he’s got a brass shoulder title just visible so seems issued before his cap badge ?

Gerard

Alan O 13-04-20 07:14 AM

Odd mix especially as he has a 1908 web belt which were unobtainable by the Service and Pals bns in 1914 so they resorted to leather equipment.

leigh kitchen 13-04-20 07:21 AM

Is that a shoulder title or some other form of insignia such as a crown?

Frank Kelley 13-04-20 07:38 AM

Be careful, a number of copies have appeared in recent times and are often sold as original.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gb64 (Post 506210)
Hi all, just found this 402219619394 ( sorry never can add the link from my phone) on my evening search of eBay, very interesting never seen this before , now I can add one of these to my cap badge collection.

Gerard

gb64 13-04-20 07:59 AM

Hello Frank, thanks for the input, hadn’t realised some of these old studio portrait photographs have been copied/faked :eek::eek: it’s hard enough working our way around copied badges but photos as well!!! Are you saying this specific type of photo with a Imperial Service Badge as a cap badge is one which has been added or messed with or other types of pictures with odd insignia?

Gerard

Frank Kelley 13-04-20 08:20 AM

Sorry I was talking about the actual Imperial Service brooch/bar/tablet themselves and not any image of one, they have started to turn up in provincial antique shops and are often sold as original, certainly not always deliberately either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gb64 (Post 506240)
Hello Frank, thanks for the input, hadn’t realised some of these old studio portrait photographs have been copied/faked :eek::eek: it’s hard enough working our way around copied badges but photos as well!!! Are you saying this specific type of photo with a Imperial Service Tablet as a cap badge is one which has been added or messed with or other types of pictures with odd insignia?

Gerard

gb64 13-04-20 08:27 AM

Ok got it now thanks, had me worried for a moment!

Gerard

Frank Kelley 13-04-20 08:37 AM

Lambourne made very nice examples, if I were looking for an example, I think I would want one of those, although, you might want all the various examples you can find.

Phil2M 13-04-20 11:07 AM

Was there not proof presented, a while ago from the NA Kew, that they are called the 'Imperial Service Badge' officially?

I think you'd have a job swallowing one of them!

gb64 13-04-20 11:41 AM

Hi Phil, you’d have a job for sure, I wasn’t 100% on it’s correct title thought tablet was the official one but badge it is ,I’ll amend ,all that said still never seen one in a cap before!

Gerard

Phil2M 13-04-20 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gb64 (Post 506296)
Hi Phil, you’d have a job for sure, I wasn’t 100% on it’s correct title thought tablet was the official one but badge it is ,I’ll amend ,all that said still never seen one in a cap before!

Gerard

No, its quite some photograph. I wonder who will end up owning it.

Phil2M 13-04-20 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gb64 (Post 506296)

Gerard

No, its quite some photograph. I wonder who will end up owning it.

gb64 19-04-20 08:22 PM

Any forum members win this photo today ?

Gerard