British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   ROYAL FLYING CORPS SGT STRIPS (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85376)

262a 17-06-21 06:55 AM

ROYAL FLYING CORPS SGT STRIPS

1 Attachment(s)
Can someone tell me if the strips on the Tunic are of the WW1 period please or much later.

Attachment 253173

Hawthorn 17-06-21 07:12 AM

Need a closer image but they look a bit odd to me and not contemporary to the tunic, Simon (Manchesters) should be able to give you an answer when he sees this.

Simon.

leigh kitchen 17-06-21 07:33 AM

WWII era stripes?

manchesters 17-06-21 08:38 AM

They are not in period with the tunic and could be later or much later.

regards

NEMO 17-06-21 09:53 AM

Sgt stripes are not period , my very first instinct is the whole lot is put together just look how clean & bright those medal ribbons are .

arrestingu 17-06-21 09:58 AM

Wings look iffy as well...just avoid and save your money.
Steve

Milmed 17-06-21 12:10 PM

Tunic also iffy. Modern (1950-60's) material used to create tunic. Maybe the whole lot is a prop for a movie

Home Guard 17-06-21 01:59 PM

I too doubt the tunic, as everything looks too clean. It could be a current reenactor tunic too. If it's a movie prop they usually have some kind of stamp on the inside indicating the movie or the company making the movie or providing the costumes. I have some items from SPR and BoB and I believe some may be marked, but non are uniforms.

I have several reenactor Napoleonic uniforms in my study and am quite pleased with them, especially since I would never be able to afford a real one. So, if you can get it really cheap and just wnat a display it might be worth it.

Terry

Padre 17-06-21 04:23 PM

I've seen genuine Maternity jackets in better condition, but whilst the stripes are the correct pattern (one of two distinct styles) I'm 99.9% sure they are repro as are the wings. The image isnt sharp enough to tell on the shoulder titles.

I doubt it's all the genuine article.

262a 21-06-21 09:55 AM

ROYAL FLYING CORPS TUNIC LINING

2 Attachment(s)
Thank you everybody for your help and comments, I am listing 2 photos of the lining just to confirm the originality of the tunic, But at £1700 it would heve been a lot of money to lose.

Thank you all members of the forum

Stay safe

Cliff

manchesters 21-06-21 10:03 AM

That WD 1915 mark is not original.

regards

Padre 21-06-21 01:37 PM

I'd agree about the date stamp. You were well clear.

262a 22-06-21 06:47 AM

Royal Flying Corps Tunic

Thank you everybody for your help.
I will dismiss this Tunic, so the search goes on

Stay safe
Cliff

Padre 29-06-21 12:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I mentioned two distinct styles of stripes being worn in the RFC, and whilst sorting my reference photos today I found the attached, which I post for info, showing the 'other' type.

MH331 29-06-21 10:22 PM

The chevrons pictured are not exclusive to the RFC but were worn by all branches of the Army in the Great War. The style of ‘cross hatch’ chevron was a war economy variant that did not continue into post WW1 use.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Padre (Post 553361)
I mentioned two distinct styles of stripes being worn in the RFC, and whilst sorting my reference photos today I found the attached, which I post for info, showing the 'other' type.