British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Double Scroll Nelly (19th Hussars) (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22603)

GriffMJ 31-01-12 01:51 PM

Double Scroll Nelly (19th Hussars)

5 Attachment(s)
Is this a good one or a bad one!? :)

Its has been cleaned on receipt..... it had varnish on it.... the loops were glazed with it. Its been heated to burn off the varnish and then been deep cleaned and polished with silvo wadding and then washed..... its got a good lustre to it. Nice yellow braise at the base of the loops. The detail is very crisp....

Loops spaced at 27mm
Loop height = 8mm
Badge approx H = 40mm x W = 50mm (or 1 1/2 inches x 2 inches)

Keith Blakeman 31-01-12 05:20 PM

.......and all that for a fake!! Sorry Griff, I've had half a dozen hopefuls, even last week I got another but I'm still unconvinced and yours is the same as mine.

GriffMJ 31-01-12 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman (Post 153159)
.......and all that for a fake!! Sorry Griff, I've had half a dozen hopefuls, even last week I got another but I'm still unconvinced and yours is the same as mine.

oooooo so close.... oh well.... certainly has all the features of others that I have seen in the albums.... its a bloody good fake... yellow braise etc :rolleyes: It will stay in its place until a "good 'un" turns up.

Keith..... is there a proper one in an album that IS "good"?

peter616 31-01-12 06:34 PM

Hi Griff

here the one i have

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=45029

Keith Blakeman 31-01-12 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter616 (Post 153174)

I have two identical to Peter's one with loops and the other with a shank.

GriffMJ 31-01-12 07:10 PM

Well..... I have been shown another "good 'un"..... and I have to say that my Nelly is identicle..... even down to the die flaws in the back of the badge!?

Keith Blakeman 31-01-12 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GriffMJ (Post 153182)
Well..... I have been shown another "good 'un"..... and I have to say that my Nelly is identicle..... even down to the die flaws in the back of the badge!?

I'll scan and post my two later this evening. Maybe the 'rare as rockin horse s**t' story behind this is another badge myth. How does it compare with the one illustrated in the 1904 Dress Regulations?

Alan O 31-01-12 07:14 PM

Or you all have copies from the same die.......Old restrikes acquiring legitmacy because dealers only sell these,

GriffMJ 31-01-12 07:29 PM

Well I have compared Peters and another "Known" proper one..... and I have to say I cant see a difference.....even in the back of the badges.... all three have the same features.....

Peter.... can you weigh your badge for me please and I will do the same (PM me the result).

Keith Blakeman 31-01-12 07:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GriffMJ (Post 153191)
Well I have compared Peters and another "Known" proper one..... and I have to say I cant see a difference.....even in the back of the badges.... all three have the same features.....

Peter.... can you weigh your badge for me please and I will do the same (PM me the result).

Here's the one I've had for a while. IMO it's an old fake as are all the others posted so far. Bosleys sold one 'with provenance' in a postal auction 20th October 2010 and it's different, closer to the 1904 Dress Regs illustration.

davec2 31-01-12 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GriffMJ (Post 153166)
oooooo so close.... oh well.... certainly has all the features of others that I have seen in the albums.... its a bloody good fake... yellow braise etc :rolleyes: It will stay in its place until a "good 'un" turns up.

Keith..... is there a proper one in an album that IS "good"?

Griff,

With the prices these can realise, it is probably worth who-ever is making them to use ' yellow gold ' filler wire, in small doses, not too expensive ?? just a thought.

Dave.

GriffMJ 31-01-12 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman (Post 153197)
Here's the one I've had for a while. IMO it's an old fake as are all the others posted so far. Bosleys sold one 'with provenance' in a postal auction 20th October 2010 and it's different, closer to the 1904 Dress Regs illustration.

Keith yours is identicle to all the "good" ones..... even in the back of the badge.... you cant fake die flaws..... my Nelly has them also.

GriffMJ 31-01-12 08:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hold on.... News just in......the image I have been shown is of the "fake" (middle one below) ....... therefore....... Keith and I have the fakes...... because the die flaws are the same.

The image in the Cavalry badges section on the forum must be the fake one as well.... if that is the case?

GriffMJ 31-01-12 08:27 PM

I dont get it..... this badge is properly made..... yellow braise.... the edges are good (as you would expect on a plate struck by a die)..... the detail is crisp.... the metal is strong and bulls up to a good shine...... a Cast silver version exists.

Bent & Parker have a different looking double scrolled Nelly that is hallmarked........ so is this one that we are looking at just a different maker?

Keith Blakeman 31-01-12 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GriffMJ (Post 153203)
I dont get it..... this badge is properly made..... yellow braise.... the edges are good (as you would expect on a plate struck by a die)..... the detail is crisp.... the metal is strong and bulls up to a good shine...... a Cast silver version exists.

Bent & Parker have a different looking double scrolled Nelly that is hallmarked........ so is this one that we are looking at just a different maker?

The BP & Co, Bosleys and one other picture I can't post of a genuine one all have a few of things in common. The U in Hussars is squarer, there's no border around the lettering and both the OR's ones have shanks and not loops.

Every badge posted or linked to this thread are FAKE.