British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Herefordshire Light Infantry (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64741)

dak580 10-10-17 04:53 AM

Herefordshire Light Infantry

4 Attachment(s)
Just wondering what members thoughts are on these 2 badges are they good or not?

Have seen versions with straight and curved swords is there any reason why the sword curves other than different manufacturers?

Had a look on the forum but other than Alan saying about the width of the sword very little information on how to spot a fake. So if you think one or both are wrong why?

Thanks
John

High Wood 10-10-17 11:35 AM

I think that the swords curve because they get knocked out of shape. This happens with several badges that have thin, fine features such as the dragon's whiskers on the Royal Berkshire Regiment cap badge. That said, the Herefordshire Regiment cap badge has been faked over the years.

dak580 11-10-17 05:16 PM

Thanks High Wood for your reply.

I was thinking along the same lines myself (wear & tear) but then I thought maybe it had something to do with unit/years they were worn and hoped someone would have a definite answer but obviously not.

I agree there are loads of HLI re-strike badges on the market but with over 90 views no one is able to tell us what makes the good from the dud.

So I'm left to concluded that both mine are genuine and hope these pictures help fellow members in future.

Cheers
John

Alan O 11-10-17 06:57 PM

I would have thought that the brief period that the metal badge was worn would have seen the sealed patterns being slidered and not lugged,.

Paul Spellman 11-10-17 07:58 PM

Hi
The stamping of the motto to the rear on the Lugged one looks poor and typical of a reproduction.
Paul

dak580 12-10-17 05:19 PM

Thanks Alan & Paul for your reply's.

Paul, I agree the stamp is very faint and I think it is a fake.

Alan, another very good point about the slider for the years of issue.

The slider version is a better stamp and to me looks more likely to be original.

Mike H 06-12-17 07:33 PM

From what ive read,there are 3 versions of the HLI cap badge. Silver plate on lugs for Offrs and white metal and silver anodised for ORs. I have silver plated and anodised versions.
K&K states the sealed date as 9th Dec 1949.
Im curious about the collar badges,i have collars in anodised. They are really small,slightly larger than the std small LI collar. Ive hunted for an Offrs pair,i cant even find an image let alone the actual thing.
Did Offrs wear collars ? The cap badge pattern or the older Herefordshire pattern ?

Tinto 07-12-17 01:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H (Post 429534)
From what ive read,there are 3 versions of the HLI cap badge. Silver plate on lugs for Offrs and white metal and silver anodised for ORs. I have silver plated and anodised versions.
K&K states the sealed date as 9th Dec 1949.
Im curious about the collar badges,i have collars in anodised. They are really small,slightly larger than the std small LI collar. Ive hunted for an Offrs pair,i cant even find an image let alone the actual thing.
Did Offrs wear collars ? The cap badge pattern or the older Herefordshire pattern ?

Hi Mike,
Not sure if I can help but here is my lot of Herefords for your interest.
Top collars are frosted silver, lower down are two bronze collars, and the bottom collar is usual die stamped. I don't know the periods of wear.
Cheers, Tinto

Mike H 07-12-17 07:28 AM

Thanks Tinto,lovely selection. I believe they are all of the pre 1947 pattern. Post 47 they became light infantry ,obviously the cap badge changed . Hmmmm but did the Offrs collar change ?

Mike H 07-12-17 08:56 AM

For the email ive just recieved,the Offrs collar badge didnt change and remained the same as was used prior to the 1947 name change.