British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Manchester Regt Badge Blank Shield (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84769)

Smudger 53 07-05-21 01:59 PM

Manchester Regt Badge Blank Shield

3 Attachment(s)
Is this Manchester Regt Cap Badge a victim of over polishing or is something else going on please?
If it is over polishing, it is very localised just on the Shieled.
Thank You

grenadierguardsman 07-05-21 02:53 PM

I would say yes, as you can see the detail on the reverse.
Andy

Smudger 53 07-05-21 03:58 PM

Cheers Andy

cbuehler 07-05-21 05:34 PM

I like badges such as that. Soldiers often put in some real elbow grease and purposely polished down the high points for better shine. This was especially so in the Guards. If you were to polish that badge, you would see how it twinkles with a mirror like shine.

CB

manchesters 07-05-21 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smudger 53 (Post 548474)
Is this Manchester Regt Cap Badge a victim of over polishing or is something else going on please?
If it is over polishing, it is very localised just on the Shieled.
Thank You

To be the Devils Advocate, I believe that something else is going on.

I think its a fake, and that it is from a very worn die and has been artificially aged.

Polishing would create a more polished surface in other places.

Just my opinion.

regards

grenadierguardsman 07-05-21 08:53 PM

Yes Simon, you could be right there.
Andy

leigh kitchen 28-05-21 12:19 PM

Emery cloth rather than Soldiers Friend or Brasso and elbow grease could be used to achieve the smooth, polished effect and could be applied to specific areas of a badge.
(This was certainly still the case in the late 1970's when I was surprised to see a worn brass rather than anod al badge being worn in the forage cap by a Life Guardsman in the unit I was in, he coughed to using emery cloth to get the old sweat look.

magpie 28-05-21 12:49 PM

An old friend of mine said on his first day they all had to go and buy 6 boxes of both red and black safty matches for the sand paper as they had to polish down their brand new issued badges for parade the next morning.

dumdum 29-05-21 07:42 AM

Have heard that many in the air force would polish the heck out of their badges and buttons for that "old sweat" look. I've got some RNZAF buttons that are worn right through!

Would also remove the wire stiffeners from the caps and sit on them to get the same effect....

Frank Kelley 30-05-21 08:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A very common practice in the Life Guards back in the day and not just upon the Forage cap either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 550777)
Emery cloth rather than Soldiers Friend or Brasso and elbow grease could be used to achieve the smooth, polished effect and could be applied to specific areas of a badge.
(This was certainly still the case in the late 1970's when I was surprised to see a worn brass rather than anod al badge being worn in the forage cap by a Life Guardsman in the unit I was in, he coughed to using emery cloth to get the old sweat look.