British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (& Guards) Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Fusilier badges and other with flaming grenade (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84693)

kaiserwilhelm2 03-05-21 11:49 AM

Fusilier badges and other with flaming grenade
 
1 Attachment(s)
Gentlemen,

How are you? Recently I acquired a large collection of cap badges and I would very much like your help in making sure all are good originals dating from/correct for World War One and/or World War Two. Here are the Fusiliers I acquired and I have also added the Grenadier Guards and the Infantry badge of the HAC because these also display the flaming grenade. So please your opinion on the originality of these badges - all correct for WW1/WW2? Thanks for your help.

Cheers, Tom

Bill A 03-05-21 12:06 PM

Hello kaiserwilhelm2, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.

kaiserwilhelm2 03-05-21 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill A (Post 547867)
Hello kaiserwilhelm2, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.

Thank you Bill! Much appreciated.

kaiserwilhelm2 03-05-21 12:18 PM

15 Attachment(s)
Here are more detailed pics. If anyone needs better pics please let me know. Thanks.

grenadierguardsman 03-05-21 12:23 PM

From the image you are showing, i believe the Grenadier Guards grenade is quite modern. Original though.
Andy

kaiserwilhelm2 03-05-21 12:23 PM

9 Attachment(s)
More pics.

kaiserwilhelm2 03-05-21 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman (Post 547871)
From the image you are showing, i believe the Grenadier Guards grenade is quite modern. Original though.
Andy

Hi Andy, Thanks for your reply. When you say quite modern, do you mean post-WW2? If so, in what way does mine differ from one that would be correct for WW2 or earlier? Please let me know. Thanks. Cheers, Tom

PS: I have made obverse and reverse pics of all the badges pictured in the group photo, uploaded these and now waiting for these to appear on the Forum.

Frank Kelley 03-05-21 01:42 PM

I always feel the older, the better, these pre date the original Guards Division are more the Henry Colvile's lads, than George Jeffrey's or Augustus Thorne's.



Quote:

Originally Posted by kaiserwilhelm2 (Post 547873)
Hi Andy, Thanks for your reply. When you say quite modern, do you mean post-WW2? If so, in what way does mine differ from one that would be correct for WW2 or earlier? Please let me know. Thanks. Cheers, Tom

PS: I have made obverse and reverse pics of all the badges pictured in the group photo, uploaded these and now waiting for these to appear on the Forum.


Frank Kelley 03-05-21 01:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pictures would help, sorry!

kaiserwilhelm2 03-05-21 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 547877)
these pre date the original Guards Division are more the Henry Colvile's lads, than George Jeffrey's or Augustus Thorne's.

Thanks for your reply. I am sure a lot of people will know what these references mean - but as a non-Brit - I am sorry to say I do not. However I do get that mine shows less age than yours.

Frank Kelley 03-05-21 02:01 PM

Okay, well the former commanded the Guards Brigade in 1899, the two latter were both very famous Grenadiers who went on to command their Brigades in the Great War, but, you understood my point anyway.
Welcome to this forum.


Quote:

Originally Posted by kaiserwilhelm2 (Post 547879)
Thanks for your reply. I am sure a lot of people will know what these references mean - but as a non-Brit - I am sorry to say I do not. However I do get that mine shows less age than yours.


kaiserwilhelm2 03-05-21 02:22 PM

Question: I uploaded pics of all the individual badges about 2 hours ago but these are not appearing yet - is that normal i.e. awaiting approval? or did I not upload the pics correctly? Should I upload again?

Frank Kelley 03-05-21 02:28 PM

Yes, I would start again, it only take a few moments, I look forward to seeing them.


Quote:

Originally Posted by kaiserwilhelm2 (Post 547882)
Question: I uploaded pics of all the individual badges about 2 hours ago but these are not appearing yet - is that normal i.e. awaiting approval? or did I not upload the pics correctly? Should I upload again?


cbuehler 03-05-21 03:12 PM

Nice set of good badges. The Royal Welch Fus. and Royal Northumberland Fus. are circa ww2 badges, the spelling Welch was changed from Welsh after ww1 and the Northumberland changed the design around 1935.
The Inniskilling, Dublin and Munster badges all are circa ww1. Some of the others may be as well, but impossible to be sure.
CB

grenadierguardsman 03-05-21 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaiserwilhelm2 (Post 547873)
Hi Andy, Thanks for your reply. When you say quite modern, do you mean post-WW2? If so, in what way does mine differ from one that would be correct for WW2 or earlier? Please let me know. Thanks. Cheers, Tom

PS: I have made obverse and reverse pics of all the badges pictured in the group photo, uploaded these and now waiting for these to appear on the Forum.

The colour and sharp edges, from what i can see put it post WW2. Thats without seeing the back though. The one Frank shows lugged north and south is a nice Victorian grenade.
Andy


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:03 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.