British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   14th Corunna Bty, 4 Field Regt. R.A. 1930s (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82734)

High Wood 15-01-21 05:33 PM

14th Corunna Bty, 4 Field Regt. R.A. 1930s

1 Attachment(s)
This is an enlargement from a group photograph of the 14th (Corunna) Battery taken in Nowshera in the mid 1930s.

The Corporal appears to be a Lewis Gunner and has clearly served during the Great War. I am curious as to why he is wearing R.A.F. wings. Is it possible that his war time service was with the R.F.C./R.A.F. or was he attached to the R.A.F. at the time the photograph was taken?

The Corporal to his left appears to be wearing a version of the North-Western Army (India) Formation Sign.

54Bty 15-01-21 06:04 PM

Unable to help with the Pilot winged Bombardier, however the chap next to him is wearing the Saddle and Harness Makers Horse Bit badge.

Marc

High Wood 15-01-21 06:13 PM

Marc,

thank you for putting me right, I was going with Nowshera being in the North West Frontier but I was clearly over thinking it. The clue should have been that the other Corporal was wearing a Lewis Gunner's badge and not a formation sign.

Simon

manchesters 15-01-21 06:20 PM

He is wearing an L in wreath badge of a Gun Layer, not a Lewis/Light Machine Gunner. The wings are a mystery

regards

High Wood 15-01-21 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 535278)
He is wearing an L in wreath badge of a Gun Layer, not a Lewis/Light Machine Gunner. The wings are a mystery

regards

I am clearly going to have to get some new glasses.

grenadierguardsman 15-01-21 06:53 PM

Can we see the whole of the photo please ?
Andy

High Wood 15-01-21 09:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here you go.

CAM 15-01-21 09:36 PM

Simon,

Interesting. Please keep us informed as 'the clot thickens'.

Chris

grenadierguardsman 15-01-21 09:36 PM

Thanks.
Andy

cbuehler 15-01-21 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by High Wood (Post 535317)
Here you go.

Interestingly, the (apparent) commanding officer is not wearing collar badges.
I cant see the others well enough to determine if they too are not wearing them.

CB

Luke H 16-01-21 03:45 AM

Shot in the dark

Uniform not being me thing I’m probably way out with my brainstorming... as Arty could he have been attached to a (RE?) balloon section in WW1 as a spotter or such and might his wings relate to that service?

Just a wild idea.

Postwarden 16-01-21 11:30 AM

Isn't it simply that he had been an RFC pilot and as such was entitled to retain his wings whoever he served with -albeit at this date unofficially?

In June 1940 ‘the privilege of wearing the regulation flying badge’ was permitted to Army officers and ORs who had qualified for it ‘under regulations in force…in the Royal Flying Corps, Royal Naval Air Service or RAF’, the badge to be worn ‘the pattern current in the RAF’ and not that of the Royal Flying Corps

Given that the photo is dated 1936 wearing the wings at that date may have been unofficial but possibly tolerated by the CO?

Jon

Cannoneer 17-01-21 10:46 AM

1. The officer in question could be the CO of 4 Fd Bde in which 14 Bty was serving, rather than the BC - unless the BC was a Brevet Lt Col. Furthermore the CO at Nowshera in the May 1938 listing gives him as a holder of the DSO & MC.
2. It looks as if this officer’s jacket has “shadows” where the collar badges should be: were gorget patches there once, for a (full) Colonel/Brigadier?

High Wood 17-01-21 11:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannoneer (Post 535447)
1. The officer in question could be the CO of 4 Fd Bde in which 14 Bty was serving, rather than the BC - unless the BC was a Brevet Lt Col. Furthermore the CO at Nowshera in the May 1938 listing gives him as a holder of the DSO & MC.
2. It looks as if this officer’s jacket has “shadows” where the collar badges should be: were gorget patches there once, for a (full) Colonel/Brigadier?

Thank you. Are you getting the Officer's name from the Army List or from some other source?

Staffsyeoman 17-01-21 12:36 PM

The picture was taken in 1935 or later as the Colonel is wearing a 1935 Silver Jubilee Medal.