British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Unusual coating for 25th Bn CEF Cap Badge? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1032)

whizzbang 19-03-08 04:12 PM

Unusual coating for 25th Bn CEF Cap Badge?

I’ve attached a link to some pictures of a cap badge to the 25th Bn that seems to have an unusual “gold” finish to it:

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=1978564

The badge on the right is brass, with no coating. The coating doesn’t look like paint and is a good quality application and looks contemporary as far as I can tell. It probably doesn’t show in the pictures but the coating was put on after the lugs – I’m not sure if this is significant. Up until recently I had an 85th Bn badge with the same coating. I’m interested in any comments or insight on what this colour/coating means, if anything!

Cheers!
Ian.

guest_000 19-03-08 07:48 PM

called gilt coating and is associated with officer accoutriments and is also found on sweetheart pins of the cef period

PAUL

whizzbang 19-03-08 07:55 PM

25th Bn CEF Badge

Hi Paul,

Would this be an officer's badge? - I always thought the 25th Bn officer's badge was either silver/white metal in a different pattern or the bronze maple leaf with white metal overlay?

Cheers,

Ian.

guest_000 19-03-08 08:13 PM

Yes officer they come in all forms gold ,silver ,white metal , and superior construction of the OR types PLUS any combinations or overlays and there are even a few units such as the 107th which wore a badge with enamels.

PAUL

N.S. Regt. 10-04-08 09:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not a officers badge but a other ranks made by Tiptaft, Birmingham most of these badges started with this type of coating most have had them polished off over the years. I am attaching a photo of a similar badge not as pristine as the one pictured above but it was worn by 3255457 Pte. L.R. Bustard. Years ago I bought a number of things that once belonged to this man including all his insigina, spare badges, soft cap, and some papers. The white medal overlay badges is also a other ranks badge made by J.R. Gaunt, the badge on Pte. Bustard's cap is this type and I have several documented also to other ranks. The true 25th officers badge has a gilt overlay and was made by the G&S Co. Ltd. 112 Regent St. London

Regards

Stephen

guest_000 11-04-08 03:52 AM

Stephen the GOLDSMITH and SILVERSMITH coy was a premiere maker of officer badges to the CEF but to call it the true officer badge of the 25th is not correct . There where other makers such as Gaunt high quality overlay pattern with white metal or silver overlay type collars , the same with the maple leaf pattern collars. I would still consider a high quality gilt wash as possible officer type. You can't close your mind with the cef badges as there where to many makers in the mix

N.S. Regt. 11-04-08 08:53 AM

Paul

I have a number of officers badges some of which came with named peices or directly from the family The G&S Co badges were worn from at least April 1917 as I have one that was sent home to the family to a member of the battalion that was killed at Vimy Ridge. I have several of the Gaunt badges they issued to Pte's to Sgt's. One collection I bought last year included a tunic medals and three of the white medal Gaunt badges. I have also a 1919 dated photo of the transport section of the battalion in which the Gaunt badge is being worn. I do have a deceint collection of 25th battalion material incliding a white metal and gilt badge by Gaunt. There is also a white metal badge made by tiptaft with matching collars. From what I am able to discover about the 25th badges there are only three makers of the cap badge G&S Co., Gaunt, and Tiptaft.

Stephen

guest_000 11-04-08 02:23 PM

Hi Stephen, I have GS&S and GAUNT examples in my collection plus gilt collars that are made by an unknown maker , plus Hemsley was a maker of c/over numbers and I suspect he made hat badges also ,as I have his catologue and it alludes to including the numbers not already shown

PAUL

N.S. Regt. 11-04-08 08:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Paul

I have never seen a cap badge or maple leaf collar attributed to Hemsley but I do have examples of the C/25 collars I have found them marked to Tiptaft, Gaunt and of course Hemsley there is also unmarked versions about. There is also shoulder numbers one is unknown to me but the other was made by Birks in 1915 it was the only distintive insignia that the battalion got prior to preseeding to England they wore general list badges and collars at this time. It was while in the U.K. that the battalion was badged which is the reason I suspect that you do not see Canadian made badges for the 25th battalion. Getting back to the officers badges I have seen both the badges and the collars marked and unmarked and if you will endulge me I will show the group some examples. The first version is the 2 peice made by the G&S Co. it is marked on the back with the company logo. Please note that the lugs on this badge run east to west and the rivits run north and south and the number 2 is voided underneath.

N.S. Regt. 11-04-08 09:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Second type is the lugged version of the overlay it again is marked with the company logo and is voided beneath the number 2.

N.S. Regt. 11-04-08 09:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The next badge is similar to the first I posted but with the following differences. The lugs run north and south, (one is missing) the rivits run east to west, the number 2 is not voided underneath and the madge is unmarked.

N.S. Regt. 11-04-08 09:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The final badge is similar to the second version with the following differences. Lugs run north and south, the number 2 is not voided underneath and it is not maker marked.

N.S. Regt. 11-04-08 09:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The collars as I mentioned also come marked and unmarked I have not noticed any major differences in their construction other then the markings or lack of.

Take care

Stephen

guest_000 12-04-08 01:27 AM

I have a set in gold with mini collars of the overlay type by gs&s and a high grade gaunt with matching white metal overlay collars . I don't like posting my badges as they end up over on the other forum matrix .

PAUL

Bill A 12-04-08 01:49 AM

Please clarify Paul. Which other forum matrix? If it is the CEFSG, they will not post images without permission.