British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Arab Nations (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Arabian or Africa Cap Insignia for ID - Rhino! (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86494)

Aberdeen Medals 17-09-21 08:29 PM

Arabian or Africa Cap Insignia for ID - Rhino!

2 Attachment(s)
I am trying to identify a cap badge that, thus far, I have been unable to positively identify. See the images of the badge attached to this post

The badge is die-struck white metal, with a brass slider to reverse. There are no maker marks.

The badge comprises two palms with voided centre within which is the head of a Rhinoceros! Below is a title in blackened 'Arabic' script

On a hunch I think the badge is Sudanese (only it was sourced together with a 1969 era Sudanese Order).

If anyone can positively identify the badge, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Mark

Attachment 257311

Attachment 257312

michael1 17-09-21 11:23 PM

Rhinoceros badge

This is definitely an early Sudan army badge I think worn circa 1950s/early 1960s

Aberdeen Medals 18-09-21 02:14 PM

Thanks for your reply, which increasingly supports my hunch on the badge being Sudan related.

I know that prior to Independence (1/1/1956) the Anglo-Egyptian Condominium used the 'Rhino' on Civil / Police badges of Mongolla Province and Opia District, but thus far I have never head of a military unit from Sudan using either Mongolla or Opia in their unit name. In nearby Kenya Colony, there was a cap badge using the 'Rhino' in uses by the 'East Africa Armoured Cars', and I just wonder if the Sudanese subsequently incorporated the 'Rhino' in their own armoured units insignia?

I will get the badge looked at by some Arabic speakers to see what the legend translates to.

If I subsequently do get the badge positively identified, I will be sure to send an update post on the forum.

Regards.

Mark

Volunteer Soldier 18-09-21 02:43 PM

I cannot quite make out the Arabic script and am therefore not wholly certain. I think it may read Sudanese Forces but the first (right hand word) is unclear. Could you post a photo of the badge title only?

michael1 18-09-21 03:42 PM

Sudan badge

2 Attachment(s)
Here s Ibrahim Abboud wearing the badge above his generals insignia on cap, also the logo of the Sudanese governing council

Volunteer Soldier 18-09-21 05:38 PM

Well done Michael, Now I can read it clearly - transliterated it read jumhariya Sudaan. As you point out it is translated as Sudanese Government or, even better, Sudanese Governing Council

Aberdeen Medals 20-09-21 02:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all the helpful replies which, for sure, anchor the badge as being one from Sudan circa 1956-1969 - the Rhino being used in the Sudan national seal in that period.

As requested I am attaching higher definition images of the badge and the legend scroll hoping that a positive ID might be made still be made of the badge (i.e. at unit level, rather than generic).

In advance thanks

michael1 20-09-21 07:25 PM

Sudan badge

I think you have taken this as far as you can, this is a national badge for the Sudanese army not a unit badge in the same way the eagle badge is as worn today