British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   NUMERALS (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80612)

JIMBODIXON 04-09-20 02:30 AM

NUMERALS

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys
Can anyone explain the difference in size of these numerals please? The larger size I believe to be 1912-1918 Aus militia but the smaller size is unknown to me. Three are maker marked Stokes & Sons.
Jim

CAM 04-09-20 07:27 AM

Not a serious response - I have been chuckling to myself for five minutes at the 'bone' answers I could have given - pure self indulgence.

fairlie63 04-09-20 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBODIXON (Post 521476)
Hi Guys
Can anyone explain the difference in size of these numerals please? The larger size I believe to be 1912-1918 Aus militia but the smaller size is unknown to me. Three are maker marked Stokes & Sons.
Jim

Hi Jim,

Forum member Investment is the guru on these but I'm fairly certain that the small numerals relate to New Zealand, and possibly also the large set joined by separate bars.

Keith

badgecollector 05-09-20 10:52 AM

hey Jim
the 71 looks australian but the others look NZ as keith suggests
bc

Investment 06-09-20 02:09 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Hello Jim,

The brass numeral 71 is for the (City of Ballarat) Infantry and early Australian Government contracts for the manufacture of these brass numerals were advertised in all state newspapers from 1911.

I believe brass numeral 34 with the separate bars is Australian. The reason being is that I have two different variations of brass numeral 12 (Byron) Infantry, one of which shows separate bars.

As discussed in the New Zealand Badges section, smaller numerals like 49 and 46 are known as Reinforcement numerals and were worn by members of the New Zealand Military Forces during WW1.

Cheers,

Invest

JIMBODIXON 07-09-20 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fairlie63 (Post 521571)
Hi Jim,

Forum member Investment is the guru on these but I'm fairly certain that the small numerals relate to New Zealand, and possibly also the large set joined by separate bars.

Keith

Thanks Keith.
Jim

JIMBODIXON 07-09-20 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgecollector (Post 521634)
hey Jim
the 71 looks australian but the others look NZ as keith suggests
bc

Thanks BC
Jim

JIMBODIXON 07-09-20 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Investment (Post 521741)
Hello Jim,

The brass numeral 71 is for the (City of Ballarat) Infantry and early Australian Government contracts for the manufacture of these brass numerals were advertised in all state newspapers from 1911.

I believe brass numeral 34 with the separate bars is Australian. The reason being is that I have two different variations of brass numeral 12 (Byron) Infantry, one of which shows separate bars.

As discussed in the New Zealand Badges section, smaller numerals like 49 and 46 are known as Reinforcement numerals and were worn by members of the New Zealand Military Forces during WW1.

Cheers,

Invest

Thanks Jason,
Jim