British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Read the description (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86351)

mike_vee 05-09-21 09:32 AM

Read the description

In July I spotted a fake 2008 Poppy pin , the seller was donating 10% of money to "Help For Heroes" . I politely informed the seller that it was a fake so that they/the charity would not get into trouble and got the following reply:

Quote:

What i will do is sell this one to get back what i paid for it and will refrain from listing the other 3 i have.
Thank you again for the information and as i say - i would never try and deceive anyone as my long standing e bay acount is more important to me than trying to make a few quid.
Well , they are back with added photos showing how much genuine ones have been listed for. The seller has even stated :

Quote:

I, as a good seller do not try and decieve and did get a message saying that these may / may not be issured by the rbl, hence the start price, saying that - have seen these actually selling for £75.00 plus
I guess "trying to make a few quid" is more important than being a "good seller" and "not trying to decieve" ! :mad:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174923439053

leigh kitchen 05-09-21 09:54 AM

I note that the seller states that he/she has lapel badges made to their own design ("all my badges are made to my strict specifications and i am happy to except returns should you be unhappy in any way").

leigh kitchen 05-09-21 10:00 AM

They also sell the same design of badge but with "2007", obtained via a liquidation sale.

"picked a few of these up from a liquidation sale from a shop.

from the little bit of research i have done, i believe these to be very rare.

i have found 3 of these for sale on ebay and one other site with a price of £89.00 AND £119.00/"

Pukkah or duff badges?

mike_vee 05-09-21 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 558676)
I note that the seller states that he/she has lapel badges made to their own design ("all my badges are made to my strict specifications and i am happy to except returns should you be unhappy in any way").

Just noticed that they also have a 2007 "pin badge" that is "very rare" (FAKE !) and they show genuine example that were listed at £89.99 and £75.00 but strangley enough they are selling theirs , "buy it now" for £12.50.

Edit : Posted then saw Leigh's second post , the 2007 is definitely a fake as it is the wrong size and finish.

leigh kitchen 05-09-21 10:05 AM

But it's all OK, because some money is stated to go to charidee.

leigh kitchen 05-09-21 10:07 AM

If someone commissions copies of RBL badges I take it that there are copyright issues?

Seen the 4 somewhat similar poppy based veterans badge designs made to the sellers strict specification?

mike_vee 05-09-21 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 558683)
If someone commissions copies of RBL badges I take it that there are copyright issues?

I don't think the factories that produce these fakes are worried about copyright issues. ;)

The seller will claim that they bought them at liquidation sale/auction and believed they were genuine items ....and yet in a message they said :

Quote:

After speaking to an ex militay man-he informs me that as i have not listed it as a RBL item, it should not be a problem.

Edit : I was asked for exact size and back details of genuine 2008 poppy pin but did not supply them.

leigh kitchen 05-09-21 10:25 AM

No prob then - clearly a pukkah stand up chap / chappess.

I must emphasise that I am in no way intimating that the seller is commissioning fake RBL badges in order to sell them at original.