British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Unknown WWI Badge ID - Help Appreciated (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43291)

ceb83 08-12-14 05:05 AM

Unknown WWI Badge ID - Help Appreciated

2 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I'm trying to find the WW1 Service Record of William John Smith, my grandfather.

However, there are 'hundreds' of William Smiths to search through!
Unfortunately, I don't have his Service Number or even know which regiment he served in during WWI.

He was born on March 17th 1891 in Swindon, Wiltshire.
Worked as a boilermaker in the GWR, and prior/during WW1 spent time in Canada.

He married an Adelaide Edith Smith in Gloucester on June 10th 1916; on their wedding photograph he was in civvies. His address on the marriage certificate is given as Southampton.

I mentioned Canada earlier, on the off chance he enlisted in a Canadian regiment.

All I know he served in, and survived WW1, and that's about it.

I have a photo of him, in uniform, and am posting a copy.

Unfortunately, when my grandmother died, his medals disappeared.

Someone, previously, thought his badge was the Royal Engineers, another person suggested the Sussex Regiment.
I've looked at both online, however, IMHO, neither looks quite 'right'.

Hopefully, someone here can give me their informative opinion.

With many thanks, in advance.

Carol

Attachment 117473

Attachment 117474

54Bty 08-12-14 02:49 PM

Out of the two suggestions I would go with the Royal Engineers. If you can use a magnifying glass on the shoulder straps you may see what letters are there.

Marc

Alan O 08-12-14 03:21 PM

I would agree with RE

gb64 08-12-14 03:30 PM

Hello Carol,
I would agree with the others Royal Engineers and being a boiler maker in civvy street it's the sort of Regt that would use his skills

Gerard

mule-73k 08-12-14 03:31 PM

Yes, I agree it's the Royal Engineers.

Regards,

Dave

Hussar100 08-12-14 05:04 PM

Me too - Royal Engineers. Loads of opportunities in the RE in WW1 for a skilled boilermaker.

OP for more info you'd really need his army number.

Jimbobqmi 09-12-14 02:15 AM

jimbobqmi

Good day.
Just google "Great War Forum" they are loaded with experts who will provide all the information you need.
Best of luck

Jim

Hussar100 09-12-14 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbobqmi (Post 289161)
Good day.
Just google "Great War Forum" they are loaded with experts who will provide all the information you need.
Best of luck

Jim

I would agree. That place is a mine of information from real enthusiasts and historians.

High Wood 09-12-14 07:16 PM

I think that he is R.E. (T.F.) as his T.F. shoulder titles are just visible. There medal index cards for 57 Royal Engineers called William J Smith on Ancestry.

tonyb 09-12-14 07:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Is it me or does the badge in post #1 look like Edward 7th cypher?
Tony.

ebro 09-12-14 07:37 PM

Tony,
It does look like Edward 7th to me as well.
Eddie