British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   WW1 cap badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87808)

Emily 22-12-21 08:36 AM

WW1 cap badge

2 Attachment(s)
Hello,
I am struggling to identify a family member from a military photo, cannot seem to find the right corps.

Bill A 22-12-21 01:07 PM

Hello Emily, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.

Alan O 22-12-21 01:12 PM

I would say that is the King's Royal Rifle Corps.

There is a passing resemblance to one of the London Regiments who had a similar design but KKRC is most likely.

The London regiment badges are here to compare it to

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=2083

magpie 22-12-21 01:45 PM

The full picture may be of more help rather than a crop of his hats, from the top arm of the cross I'd go for 6 Londons the right KRRC and if you've got his name someone may try and look him up for you.

Emily 22-12-21 04:38 PM

Corps badge

2 Attachment(s)
Thank you for the replies, I have information on several brothers but the information does not match the photos!
I'll upload the full photos for a better look!

Alan O 22-12-21 04:48 PM

There are cloth shoulder titles on 2 of the arms so late war? I don't know enough about the KRRC or London titles to identify them myself.

The man on his own is indeed KRRC in my opinion.

cbuehler 22-12-21 05:57 PM

All are wearing cloth shoulder titles as can be seen under magnification. I just cannot make them out clearly, but they do not say KRRC however. The clearest one on the man in the middle might possibly read London, but...
The only other possibility is the 9th QV Rifles, even though the centers look voided like KRRC, but hard to say. I also would expect at least one of them to have a backing to the badge if KRRC, but again, they were not always worn.

CB

Fatherofthree 22-12-21 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emily (Post 568243)
Thank you for the replies, I have information on several brothers but the information does not match the photos!
I'll upload the full photos for a better look!

Nevertheless, if you would like to post what details you have, I'm sure research will be done on what you provide and perhaps an answer to the badge identification will come about as a result.

Regards.

Brian

Luke H 22-12-21 10:19 PM

London Regiment

At a glance my initial impressions were the same as magpie’s.

There is an excellent thread on London Regiment cloth shoulder titles on the GWF by forum member Drew.

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/...atches/page/7/

It’s certainly not a definite but the colours and shape broadly look to match the 6th London titles in my opinion. The colours for the 9th and 16th would not be right.

Obviously this still doesn’t preclude KRRC but I am unsure what cloth titles they wore during WW1.

Alan O 23-12-21 08:48 AM

Any details on the men concerned might be helpful to see if they can be found on medal roles et al.

Emily 26-12-21 11:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just an update on the information I have involving the brothers, I have the reg numbers too. However I am not sure if they moved around and worked in different corps?

Alan O 27-12-21 10:27 AM

If I was asked to date the photo then I would say that it was 1917-18 as there is a 1915 pattern tunic so its after 1915 and the cloth shoulder titles suggest 1917 onwards.

Although they were born in London and that is the right recruiting area for either the KRRC or London Regiment they are not wearing ASC, RA or RDF badges. It was not unusual to change regiments when sent as reinforcements to other regiment or often to the Labour Corps after medical downgrading if wounded.

However looking at their ages it is not impossible that they joined the London Regt but were transferred to the ASC before going to France.

magpie 27-12-21 11:51 AM

I remember finding a soldier on soldiers died who was in 5 different regiments before being killed.

gb64 27-12-21 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emily (Post 568539)
Just an update on the information I have involving the brothers, I have the reg numbers too. However I am not sure if they moved around and worked in different corps?

Hello Emily, happy Christmas,funny coincidence I've just seen the surname of Spong and i have just finished some work for a customer of mine with the same surname !! they live in Aston End in Hertfordshire, its an unusual name & guessing not a common one, you never know they could be related ! With regards to the info you put up like others on here no doubt I'll see what info i can find.

Gerard

Luke H 27-12-21 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan O (Post 568552)
If I was asked to date the photo then I would say that it was 1917-18 as there is a 1915 pattern tunic so its after 1915 and the cloth shoulder titles suggest 1917 onwards.

Although they were born in London and that is the right recruiting area for either the KRRC or London Regiment they are not wearing ASC, RA or RDF badges. It was not unusual to change regiments when sent as reinforcements to other regiment or often to the Labour Corps after medical downgrading if wounded.

However looking at their ages it is not impossible that they joined the London Regt but were transferred to the ASC before going to France.

My thoughts were similar but other way around.

Late war photo 1917-18 due to titles as you say with them originally joining ASC but being transferred to infantry perhaps as replacements for losses in the bloodier battles of 1916-17.

Very interested to hear the outcome.