British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Unknown Lapel Badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74984)

KOMalta 19-08-19 10:23 PM

Unknown Lapel Badge

2 Attachment(s)
Came across this Lapel badge with a medal group. Any ideas??

Thanks in advance.

Exiazero 20-08-19 02:59 AM

From what I have gathered it is a WWII British and American Ambulance Corps Pin. Any other markings on the rear? Most would have a marking "Silson". Do you have a clearer image of the rear?

One Source: "A Tribute to America" by Carla and Roberto Brunialti, pp. 57-58

KOMalta 21-08-19 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exiazero (Post 486531)
From what I have gathered it is a WWII British and American Ambulance Corps Pin. Any other markings on the rear? Most would have a marking "Silson". Do you have a clearer image of the rear?

One Source: "A Tribute to America" by Carla and Roberto Brunialti, pp. 57-58

Thank you very much for the heads-up!! I took up your lead and surely it's very similar to what you've stated, alas for the back. Unfortunately i see no markings at the rear. But I will post clearer images shortly.

Thanks again.

dumdum 22-08-19 02:30 AM

Hi

Looks very similar to one of those organisations that were involved in fund-raising. A slight clue to its origin is the screw-back fitting that I associate with US/ Canadian items.
Lastly that is a painted finish rather than enamel I would think.

KOMalta 22-08-19 10:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Found a couple of examples online, both with a claw type attachment pin however, and makers mark at the back. This example has no maker mark, plus the attachment as can be seen in the image attached is a screw-on! Maybe a later example?

mike_vee 22-08-19 12:13 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Found a few on American sites with different fittings and prices.

1. $219
2. Sold , no price shown.
3.$60
4.$65 - marked SILSON Pat.Pend (patent number 122211)

mike_vee 22-08-19 12:37 PM

What size is the badge ?

Mike_2817 22-08-19 04:18 PM

I have in the past mainly associated screw-back fitting with uniform items than civilian since other than in a in a lapel button hole it damages the cloth?

dumdum 23-08-19 12:42 AM

Nice pictures. That "revolver" catch often seems to be found on American/ Canadian badges.

I have the SMALLEST American silver lapel badge for 2,500 hours service with the VA (Veterans' Administration) dated 1930. Truly minute with the tiniest enameled detail and....a revolver catch!

mike_vee 24-08-19 10:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 486717)
What size is the badge ?

Reason I ask is that the original badge was approx. 2+1/8" x 2" (5.4cm x 5.0cm) , which judging by the original photo would mean the nut/fitting was about 1" (size of a 10p coin).

Silson also made matching earrings to go with the badge (approx. 50% size of badge) , could your badge be based on earrings ?

KOMalta 24-08-19 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 486840)
Reason I ask is that the original badge was approx. 2+1/8" x 2" (5.4cm x 5.0cm) , which judging by the original photo would mean the nut/fitting was about 1" (size of a 10p coin).

Silson also made matching earrings to go with the badge (approx. 50% size of badge) , could your badge be based on earrings ?

Hi Mike,

You're spot-on, the badge is 2.5cm x 2.5cm. However this came with a medal group so I presume it was a fund raising purchase. But then again......!

mike_vee 24-08-19 02:48 PM

As someone said in another thread "size does matter" ! :D