British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Information Needed (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73712)

dragon166 13-05-19 01:11 PM

Information Needed

Can anyone please give me information about ACF/CCF shooting badges. My questions are;
1 What is the meaning of the different background colours, Black, Airforce blue and Scarlet?
2 When did they change orientation of the rifle from left pointing to right?
3 When did they shrink in size?

Thanks for any help
Dave

manchesters 13-05-19 01:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Dave,

Not just for Cadets as the extract from Grumpy's book clearly shows. In use as early as pre WW2.

Available in several colour combos as my small collection shown below. I have not included the Air Force Blue as its not Army.

I have always thought the small ones came in when BD was introduced, 1960?

Maybe they changed direction then also.

Certainly the older ones face left.

regards

54Bty 13-05-19 01:48 PM

In the Army Cadet Force, the badges were worn on the left cuff of the Battle Dress Blouse a quarter of the distance between the top of the cuff and the elbow, with the muzzle pointing to the front. On the withdrawal of BD the badges were worn on a brassard with the various other badges earned, on the right sleeve, again muzzle pointing to the front. The size was reduced so that they would fit onto the brassard. It is written that the khaki background was for .22 and the red background for .303, in the two detachments I was in we worn the Khaki background badges for .303.

Marc

dragon166 13-05-19 03:17 PM

Thanks Simon. By the way the 5th badge down on the right is a CCF(RAF) one.
Dave

dragon166 13-05-19 03:18 PM

Thanks Marc that answers a lot, do you have a date (year) that Cadet Battledress was phased out?
Dave

manchesters 13-05-19 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragon166 (Post 478259)
Thanks Simon. By the way the 5th badge down on the right is a CCF(RAF) one.
Dave

Thanks Dave, I will remove it in that case.

regards

54Bty 13-05-19 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragon166 (Post 478260)
Thanks Marc that answers a lot, do you have a date (year) that Cadet Battledress was phased out?
Dave

I was still wearing BD in 1967, but we also had No.2 Dress available.

Marc

norfolk regt man 13-05-19 06:21 PM

Great post everyone

oc14 14-05-19 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragon166 (Post 478260)
Dave

Cadet Battledress ceased to be issued (in Yorkshire at least) in 1974

PL

oc14 14-05-19 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54Bty (Post 478249)
In the Army Cadet Force, the badges were worn on the left cuff of the Battle Dress Blouse a quarter of the distance between the top of the cuff and the elbow, with the muzzle pointing to the front. On the withdrawal of BD the badges were worn on a brassard with the various other badges earned, on the right sleeve, again muzzle pointing to the front. The size was reduced so that they would fit onto the brassard. It is written that the khaki background was for .22 and the red background for .303, in the two detachments I was in we worn the Khaki background badges for .303.

Marc

Marc the size has been reduced again - All ACF/CCF (Army) Qualification badges have been reduced in size so that they can fit on the blanking plates of PCS (CU)

PL

MH331 14-05-19 12:35 PM

Still wearing BD as a cadet in Somerset in 1979

Quote:

Originally Posted by oc14 (Post 478297)
Cadet Battledress ceased to be issued (in Yorkshire at least) in 1974

PL

54Bty 15-05-19 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oc14 (Post 478298)
Marc the size has been reduced again - All ACF/CCF (Army) Qualification badges have been reduced in size so that they can fit on the blanking plates of PCS (CU)

PL

MTP was not around when I wrote my notes, and I had forgotten about it. I see they have also gone over to badges with text on.

Marc