British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   QUEENS OWN MERCIAN YEOMANRY (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74913)

49lassiepen 13-08-19 01:40 PM

QUEENS OWN MERCIAN YEOMANRY

QUEENS OWN MERCIAN YEOMANRY has any one a photo of a button worn by the Q O M Y
Also colour and material
Many thanks
David
So far I have
a/a cap badge
Bullion cap
S/T
collars
Stable belt

CAM 14-08-19 08:11 AM

QOMY

David,

the QOMY wore a plain gold button (as did South Notts Hussars and 3/4 County of London Yeomanry).

Chris

49lassiepen 14-08-19 09:45 AM

Many thanks Chris only asked because in the Q O M Y picture galley there is a set of insignia and the buttons looked like they had a design on them -as mercian button??
David

CAM 15-08-19 12:41 PM

Royal Mercian & Lancastrian Yeomanry

David,

Was it a design like this?

Chris

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ctureid=167892

49lassiepen 15-08-19 12:50 PM

Chris I could not make out the design ,but I have the buttons as posted above with my R M L Y
David

Mike H 15-08-19 07:03 PM

David, a couple of things.
The collars are to Sqn pattern . So Warwick and Worcs,Staffs and Shrops.
There are 2 anodized cap badges,one with a gold Saxon crown the other silver. Also there is a side cap badge ,anodised with east west lugs.

49lassiepen 15-08-19 10:34 PM

Mike many thanks helpful as always I do have all the collars but only the one a/a cap which is the gold crown
Mike if you google queens own Mercian Yeomanry -go to Images for 2nd row extreme right A set of insignia what do you think of the collars they are the mercian- R H Q???? or just made up
Chris same link for you -will return P M
David

Mike H 16-08-19 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 49lassiepen (Post 486191)
Mike many thanks helpful as always I do have all the collars but only the one a/a cap which is the gold crown
Mike if you google queens own Mercian Yeomanry -go to Images for 2nd row extreme right A set of insignia what do you think of the collars they are the mercian- R H Q???? or just made up
Chris same link for you -will return P M
David

If you mean the ones that are mounted on a red card( I'm on my phone not desktop). Then the collars shown are ORs collars to the Mercian Volunteers as are the buttons by the look of them.
Hope this helps if I have the right image.
PS further along there are a couple of images of the silver crowned badge.

49lassiepen 16-08-19 08:04 AM

Mike yes that it re collars and buttons my thoughts as well -just wondering if I had missed something in the insignia to the regiment
David

Staffsyeoman 16-08-19 10:00 PM

I was in the Queen's Own Mercian Yeomanry; not to add, but confirm:

Regimental Cap Badge of the standard pattern (Gaunt and Firmin) ;
Squadrons wore individual collar badges, reflecting heritage; A Warwickshire & Worcester, B Staffordshire, C Shropshire.
Buttons were plain.
Shoulder title was QOMY.
An arm badge for NCOs was introduced after I left the Regiment, (the letters QOMY, with the Q as the frame with O, M and Y interlinked within, crown above, red enamelled) but my Sqn Sgt Maj, eventually the RSM, claims he never saw it worn.

We did not/not wear Mercian eagles anywhere except for the cap. Merican eagles were the cap and collar of the Mercian Volunteers, who were NATO roled. We were Home Defence.

The buttons illustrated are of the post-1992 Royal Mercian and Lancastrian Yeomanry.

The RMLY is now basically B Sqn of the Royal Yeomanry, and call themselves "The Black Country Cavalry". I did point out to one of their NCOs that I could recall when his collar badge, a Bear and Ragged Staff standing on a Stafford Knot, surrounded by a wreath of pear blossom, were individual Squadrons...