British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Australian General Service Badge (Rising Sun) (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Cap Suns (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65849)

Whistle 24-12-17 06:39 AM

Cap Suns

2 Attachment(s)
These items came from a little black tin from my mother. I do mean small - W10cm x D6cm x H4cm. I think it held mostly her father's badges.

Could anyone please tell me if these Cap badges were WWI and/or WWII?

To my untrained eye, the badge with the broach-type pin looks to have been personally modified. That badge is also a slightly thicker gauge.

Thank you.

Whistle 24-12-17 06:43 AM

Lapel Suns

3 Attachment(s)
From the same small tin - two sets of lapel badges.

The 4th is much lighter gauge and the lugs are not standard. I've added an extra image to show a different angle.

gpag2 25-12-17 11:25 PM

Hi Whistle,
your 4th badge I believe is WWI - English manufacture, and you don't see these come up all that often.....

Regards
Gary

badgecollector 26-12-17 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistle (Post 431107)
These items came from a little black tin from my mother. I do mean small - W10cm x D6cm x H4cm. I think it held mostly her father's badges.

Could anyone please tell me if these Cap badges were WWI and/or WWII?

To my untrained eye, the badge with the broach-type pin looks to have been personally modified. That badge is also a slightly thicker gauge.

Thank you.

these 2 look like K.G.Luke which make them post 1920s so probably ww2.
would also say all the collars are WW2 except as Gary points out, the 4th is WW1. not sure its English made? why do you think its English made Gary?
bc

gpag2 26-12-17 07:33 PM

Hi bc,
Military dealers that I have spoke with in Australia about this badge have all told me English made. I have not seen anything to confirm this. If anyone can come up with information on this badge would be great.

Regards
Gary

fougasse1940 26-12-17 10:24 PM

Never say never, but odd that the 4th badge is supposedly the English made one as there are (to the best of my knowledge at least) no English badges with similar fittings.

Rgds, Thomas

badgecollector 27-12-17 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fougasse1940 (Post 431278)
Never say never, but odd that the 4th badge is supposedly the English made one as there are (to the best of my knowledge at least) no English badges with similar fittings.

Rgds, Thomas

my point exactly Thomas.
i can't recall seeing any other badge with similar fittings.
bc

gpag2 27-12-17 07:56 AM

The badge and fittings are stamped as one piece, the fittings then bent into place and brazed. I have never seen any other badge with this construction either in Australian or British manufacture. It is an interesting badge and I have hat and collar rising sun with this construction. The text on the scroll is also very fine and small compared to other rising sun badges. I have seen 2x hat badges and around 4x collars in the last six years.
Regards
Gary

badgecollector 27-12-17 10:12 AM

hi gary
i have several hat and collars and was told years ago that they were english made however never seen another english badge like it so suspect its not british made. this however could be totally wrong.
i have seen some australian non military tinny badges with similar attachments but cant remember what or where.
bc