British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   What price . . ! (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60919)

Sonofacqms 29-03-17 10:16 PM

What price . . !

I was watching this little lot with some interest when I suddenly noticed the price increase, whilst I know the South Staffordshire Regt was involved with the airborne operation at Arnhem and there is a small glider badge included, I do wonder sometimes whether badge collecting has gone beyond the pockets of the average person.

Small wonder that there are few young collectors coming into the hobby, soon it will be the perogative of lottery winners and premier league footballers.

Rob

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI...p2047675.l2565

Paul Spellman 29-03-17 10:59 PM

No,
I haven't won the lottery or play premier league football, after researching a couple of the badges for price I do realise what I have to pay, fortunately I have seen others listed.
Yes as you posted I was the high bidder
Paul

oc14 30-03-17 05:52 AM

Paul
sadly there are still some collectors out there who still believe that one can pick up scarce badges for the same price as they sold for in the 1960s and 70s
PL

Paul Spellman 30-03-17 08:40 AM

And there is never a chance to get some items at a reasonable price when active listings are posted on here,you should expect the price to rise further when more attention is brought to it.
Paul

JerryBB 30-03-17 09:48 AM

The Glide patch if wartime fetches a good price on its own and any printed titles to units that served with the airborne forces always attract top dollar from what I have observed. Look at a the prices for pegasus patches which are very common but always expensive.

silverwash 30-03-17 11:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Spellman (Post 399390)
No,
I haven't won the lottery or play premier league football, after researching a couple of the badges for price I do realise what I have to pay, fortunately I have seen others listed.
Yes as you posted I was the high bidder
Paul

fear not Little Jim, supply and demand. it is the case that ' I have what you desire '. ergo, like minds pay whatever it takes to acquire the precious things and are content with that mindset. it is a fact that there is always another person whose wish is greater than thine.

grenadierguardsman 30-03-17 11:24 AM

Yes a lot of money, especially with no provenance !
Andy

Hoot 30-03-17 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofacqms (Post 399387)
I was watching this little lot with some interest when I suddenly noticed the price increase, whilst I know the South Staffordshire Regt was involved with the airborne operation at Arnhem and there is a small glider badge included, I do wonder sometimes whether badge collecting has gone beyond the pockets of the average person.

Small wonder that there are few young collectors coming into the hobby, soon it will be the perogative of lottery winners and premier league footballers.

Rob

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI...p2047675.l2565

Rob, let's face it, it's not so much a hobby these days, it's more a money-making racket fuelled by sheer greed and it will only get worse. As long as people are prepared to cough up the dosh there will be no shortage of grasping chancers ready to take it.

Paul Spellman 30-03-17 01:02 PM

To be Frank (not you Mr. Kelley) I fail to see why these badges were at the time of the OP deemed expensive, the bid stood at £103 for 5 original cloth badges, an average of just over £20 each, even now at this time they are just over £30 each. One of the badges you would, over the last few years be lucky to get under £100.
Where Chancing and Grasping come into this I have no idea
Paul

Paul Spellman 30-03-17 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverwash (Post 399434)
fear not Little Jim, supply and demand. it is the case that ' I have what you desire '. ergo, like minds pay whatever it takes to acquire the precious things and are content with that mindset. it is a fact that there is always another person whose wish is greater than thine.

If your shop is open may I have a look!!
Paul

ray smith 30-03-17 03:03 PM

What Price

1 Attachment(s)
I am the first to admit I have paid over the odds for a couple of badge I have purchase
The main reason being after spending so much time looking to complete a collection I have no qualms over what I paid.Having completed my task I am more than happy.
There is another side to the coin, I was lucky to purchase two Plastic AEC badge a couple of years ago,What I paid for them compisated me foe when i have over paid.
Here is the result of one collection
Regards to all
Ray

silverwash 30-03-17 03:11 PM

no shop, no stock. just an observation regarding living in 2017 as opposed to living in 2007. in 1977 my annual water rate bill was £5 .03 ! there again my wage was £20 a week. all relative. ( and yes, I was living in a shoebox ). ah! the good old days.

Ian B 30-03-17 04:46 PM

Hey, Silverwash. You had a shoe box? We used to dream of living in a shoe box! (with a tip of the hat to Monty Python).

Ian

JerryBB 30-03-17 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray smith (Post 399463)
I am the first to admit I have paid over the odds for a couple of badge I have purchase
The main reason being after spending so much time looking to complete a collection I have no qualms over what I paid.Having completed my task I am more than happy.
There is another side to the coin, I was lucky to purchase two Plastic AEC badge a couple of years ago,What I paid for them compisated me foe when i have over paid.
Here is the result of one collection
Regards to all
Ray

I noticed one of those Machine Guards titles for sale recently at £350

grenadierguardsman 30-03-17 06:19 PM

Silly price's indeed. I'm going to try and sell 1 of my 3 J R Gaunt ( semi circle marked ) Welsh Guards badge's for about £150 now. See if i get any takers.
Andy