British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Navy and Royal Marines (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   German Naval Surrender 21 Nov 1918 (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44963)

RCN 27-02-15 02:34 PM

German Naval Surrender 21 Nov 1918

9 Attachment(s)
Mates I know this is not badge/insignia related, but I thought very nice & wanted to share with the members that have a Naval interest....

I acquired a few months ago a very nice framed print of the German High Sees Fleet Surrender on 21 Nov 1918.
The detail is amazing!

RCN Bryan

RCN 27-02-15 02:37 PM

Beatty Photo

5 Attachment(s)
This photo I have had for at least 40 years I found it in a junk store & at the time it was covered in dust, I had to wet a piece of towel to rub away the grime to get a good look at the signature - yes its real!

Photo taken on the day of the High Sees Fleet Surrender, I have seen prints of this photo in various books of the period. Last two photos are prints taken from books.

It is quite large & has been on my workbench area wall for many yrs!

B

RonArm 27-02-15 04:40 PM

most amassing photo Bryan, love navy history, wonder what the British did with the ships after the surrender

tonyb 27-02-15 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonArm (Post 300948)
most amassing photo Bryan, love navy history, wonder what the British did with the ships after the surrender

RonArm check this link. http://www.historytoday.com/richard-...led-scapa-flow
Cheers Tony.

RCN 27-02-15 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonArm (Post 300948)

The idea was to hold them in quarantine at Scapa & after the Treaty of Versailles eventually distribute them among the allied navies.

But Adm Reuter had other ideas, he ordered the entire fleet scuttled in June 1919, the Grand Fleet was out of the harbour on that day, & the scuttling was well planned in advance.

The link Tony has supplied will give more detail.

Many of the ships were subsequently raised & scrapped in the 1920's.

A sad end for a superb fleet!

B

Sonofacqms 27-02-15 10:08 PM

I have somewhere a souvenir booklet published by the Daily Mail on this surrender, when I first bought this booklet my Father said he served with a man during WWII who was a salvage diver involved with raising some of the ships.

It must have been a fantastic sight for Admirable Beatty, but a hollow victory for Britain . . !

Rob

kingsley 28-02-15 01:45 AM

DER TAG!

1 Attachment(s)
21st November 1918 was Der Tag! I have a remarkable book on the surrender and later scrapping of the High Seas Fleet, published 1973, a first and probably only edition. The scrapping was an amazing achievement with the ships raised upside down.

GTB 28-02-15 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCN (Post 300928)
Mates I know this is not badge/insignia related, but I thought very nice & wanted to share with the members that have a Naval interest....

I acquired a few months ago a very nice framed print of the German High Sees Fleet Surrender on 21 Nov 1918.
The detail is amazing!

RCN Bryan

A highly evocative illustration. Thanks for sharing

GTB

Rob Miller 28-02-15 10:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Fascinating stuff.

I collect little wooden things made from old ships timbers, this is one of my favorites.

Rob

RCN 28-02-15 09:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsley (Post 301013)
21st November 1918 was Der Tag! I have a remarkable book on the surrender and later scrapping of the High Seas Fleet, published 1973, a first and probably only edition. The scrapping was an amazing achievement with the ships raised upside down.

Thanks for bringing this book to the topic Kingsley, a new one to me. I have ordered a copy via abebooks.

Bryan

RCN 28-02-15 09:33 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Here is another little find I acquired a few yrs back.
Its not a booklet, it just opens up to a centre section & a back.
I will attach the images.

Published by Illustrated London news & Sketch.

B

RCN 28-02-15 09:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
& I love the comment --- "On the right is an armed British Bluejacket"

This sailor looks like he is a Boy of about 15 yrs old!

B

iaindh 01-03-15 06:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I was lucky enough to be given this tea canister by a good friend, one side of which portrays the surrender of the German Fleet.

Attachment 122531

Attachment 122552

Iain

RCN 01-03-15 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iaindh (Post 301152)
I was lucky enough to be given this tea canister by a good friend, one side of which portrays the surrender of the German Fleet.

Iain

VERY NICE Iain & thanks for posting!

Bryan

Hussar100 01-03-15 05:19 PM

I've always found the surrender, scuttling and scrapping of the German High Seas Fleet fascinating - and the fact that so many of the ships are still at the bottom of Scapa Flow. You can go up to Orkney and get a tour on boats fitted with underwater cameras. You used to be able to dive some of the wrecks too (carefully avoiding the Royal Oak which is a war grave).

There's a wonderful photo (copy here) of the German fleet lying at anchor in Scapa Flow before they pulled the bath plugs out.