British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   A Few Shoulder titles (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70579)

badgecollector 05-11-18 06:22 AM

A Few Shoulder titles

3 Attachment(s)
hi all
a few of my screen printed titles, woven and bullion.
i am interested in adding to these unusual variations if anyone has any?
please PM me
regards
BC

Mark Corcoran 07-11-18 11:39 PM

BC,

Holly Dooley! I'm sure that everyone agrees that you've done very well to amass those. Clearly, those are all scarce items and it is great to see that:
(a) they have been gathered up and preserved; and
(b) the information on their existence has been shared.
I make the last point, because it is easier to find items when they are known to exist (typically because they have been 'seen' before). What's the old Army Instructors' expression '... If you don't know where you are going, then any road will take you there son!'

Now that even the most experienced forum members will undoubtedly have seen a screen-printed or hand-stitched title or two that they had not seen before... I think that the odds are better that more of those titles will be found. The hardest specimens to find amongst the dross that we all sort through, are always going to be 'the exceptions to the rule'... i.e. the first of a type that each of us has personally seen.

What a great result for collectors and for the preservation of military history alike.

Mark
charliebravobooks.com
Co Author of: “Metal Uniform Embellishments of the Australian Army”
Post 1953 (the 'QEII' era) Vol 1 and Vol 2

badgecollector 08-11-18 01:51 AM

cheers mark
I have been collecting these variations for about 20yrs. I do have a few others not shown but over all, this is it for so many years of searching. bloody hard to find.

I have put a new folder up in the albums section. not sure if you have noticed, but it does have a few rarer manufacturers errors towards the back.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=3567

anyway, thanks for the comment

regards
bc

badjez 08-11-18 07:23 AM

A few shoulder titles

An interesting collection. I imagine the printed cadet titles must be easier to find as I have a couple of them in my album.

Thanks for sharing,

Stephen.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=3487

kingsley 09-11-18 04:07 AM

The 1848 screen printed titles have long been a mystery to me. No one can tell me which ones were actually made. I have a file somewhere with a few pix that, will look for them when I have time and perhaps add them to the Album as a resource for all of us. I know I have a North Sydney Technical High School, very few others. The 1948-60 woven ones are OK but the screen prints are "too hard".

badgecollector 09-11-18 06:02 AM

i also have several screen printed cadet units. im not so fussed with them however the regular army titles have also been a mystery to me Kingsley. that's why i like them so much
bc

Mark Corcoran 10-11-18 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgecollector (Post 459209)
cheers mark
I have been collecting these variations for about 20yrs. I do have a few others not shown but over all, this is it for so many years of searching. bloody hard to find.

I have put a new folder up in the albums section. not sure if you have noticed, but it does have a few rarer manufacturers errors towards the back.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=3567

anyway, thanks for the comment

regards
bc

Well BC,

Thanks for pointing out the reference images you've provided. You are quite right... I had not stumbled upon that album... so naturally I enjoyed them immensely. I saw your Royal Australian Army Nursing Service on grey... which I've been looking for but never ever seen before! Hells bells, the Australian Army Medical Women's Service title itself, is a million miles between specimens! You are damned lucky to have both of those :)

I had never seen the 5th Recruit Training Btn flash before either!

You've inspired me... I will scan a few of the manufacturer's errors and some odd colour variants that I have and I'll post them here... while I figure out how to do the "Album" thing as well.

I also see that you've preserved some philanthropics... I have a few Red Cross variants to share and... drifting into earlier and later cloth title periods... I have an Everymans' (on WWII khaki) and a Salvation Army item on the original issue AustCam material.

In the interim, I'd be interested to see ANY discussion here, about ANY of the manufacturer's errors???

Finally, has anyone compiled a full album of the unbordered post 1963 cloth titles? If not, I'd better make a start on that too I suppose?

With thanks:)

Mark

Ironside410 11-11-18 09:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello BC

I have attached a picture of a then Corporal from 2 RAR in the early 50's wearing a printed Royal Australian Regiment shoulder title.

I showed him your selection of titles this morning and he explained that when he received the titles to put on his battle dress it was identical to the lower left rectangular title but the backing wasn't as faded. He was instructed by his RSM to trim the excess rectangular material from the title before sewing it onto his battledress. Apparently there were a lot of variants of the title being worn at the time, he has another picture somewhere with a couple of his mates, he recalled all their titles varied depending upon when they joined.

Regards

Dennis

badgecollector 11-11-18 10:33 AM

thanks dennis
great photo.
really interesting period and seems there was a rush on to get titles issued.
i wonder if these were ordered by the unit while waiting for the embroidered version?
bc

Mark Corcoran 16-11-18 09:07 AM

More Cloth shoulder titles for discussion

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Corcoran (Post 459522)
Well BC,

Thanks for pointing out the reference images you've provided. You are quite right... I had not stumbled upon that album... so naturally I enjoyed them immensely. I saw your Royal Australian Army Nursing Service on grey... which I've been looking for but never ever seen before! Hells bells, the Australian Army Medical Women's Service title itself, is a million miles between specimens! You are damned lucky to have both of those :)

I had never seen the 5th Recruit Training Btn flash before either!

You've inspired me... I will scan a few of the manufacturer's errors and some odd colour variants that I have and I'll post them here... while I figure out how to do the "Album" thing as well.

I also see that you've preserved some philanthropics... I have a few Red Cross variants to share and... drifting into earlier and later cloth title periods... I have an Everymans' (on WWII khaki) and a Salvation Army item on the original issue AustCam material.

In the interim, I'd be interested to see ANY discussion here, about ANY of the manufacturer's errors???

Finally, has anyone compiled a full album of the unbordered post 1963 cloth titles? If not, I'd better make a start on that too I suppose?

With thanks:)

Mark

OK BC,

I said that you inspired me to go and get some of the cloth shoulder titles from the reference collection, for scanning and posting here. So, here's start :)

As you will see, I did get a bit 'ill-disciplined' in this process... because I mixed some bordered and unbordered period insignia together. I did that just because I thought the items showed an interesting variation or manufacturing error for discussion here.

For example, I have heard very few people speak about the RACT unbordered cloth title error... its a somewhat subtle one and it probably gets overlooked :)

Finally, I did get a bit more coordinated by the time I put together the philanthropic cloth shoulder titles... there are more variations of course... but these are a reasonable start, if your collection is to extend to those organisations which are approved to wear their own organisational insgnia, while wearing the Australian Army Uniform.

I hope these are of interest to all?

Regards

Mark

badgecollector 16-11-18 10:33 AM

hey mark
glad you like my album and titles.
makes a very interesting side collection to the badges.

well done mate for making the effort to show these. love them.
especially like the Aust Int corps (white on green)
ive never noticed the RACT before and im going to have to dig out all my spares to see if i have the "Swan" & "The Swan" and the NSWMR in both finishes.

just shows i need to keep hunting

cheers
bc

Mark Corcoran 17-11-18 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgecollector (Post 459974)
hey mark
glad you like my album and titles.
makes a very interesting side collection to the badges.

well done mate for making the effort to show these. love them.
especially like the Aust Int corps (white on green)
ive never noticed the RACT before and im going to have to dig out all my spares to see if i have the "Swan" & "The Swan" and the NSWMR in both finishes.

just shows i need to keep hunting

cheers
bc

BC,
You are quite right, collecting cloth titles (and all the errors and manufacturing variants) is a great adjunct to metal insignia from the same period:) I've found that they all display quite well together. As the books show, the images of the metal insignia would be diminished without the context that the cloth flashes provide.

BTW, I'm glad you liked the RACT error... it's rarely mentioned and I suspect that's because it is simply commonly overlooked. Not unlike the 161 Aviation Rgt hat badge at CB250, unless you have actually seen the type... then it's easy to make the mistake of overlooking one which may come your way.

Certainly, sharing information in places like this, does goes a long way to fixing that type of problem.

Regards and I hope that we all enjoy the thrill of the chase

Mark

JON188 22-09-21 03:53 PM

Not my area of interest but wow. Great stuff