British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Zealand Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Task Group Taji (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76420)

Desert Rat 16-12-19 06:53 AM

Task Group Taji

2 Attachment(s)
Task Group Taji (TG Taji) is a combined Australian-New Zealand military training force located at the Taji Military Complex northwest of Baghad.

Phill Lockett 18-12-19 01:17 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Hi DS

here are several ANZ Taji patches.

All are velcro backed.

Phill

slick_mick 18-12-19 02:25 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's some of the patches worn by Australians at Taji.

Mick

2/1kiwi 20-12-19 03:11 AM

11 Attachment(s)
Here are mine, Taji 1 to current.

Questions?

Cheers

Dan

slick_mick 20-12-19 03:23 AM

Very nice mate!

Mick

Phill Lockett 22-12-19 12:31 AM

Superb Dan

Phill

akiko 22-12-19 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phill Lockett (Post 495067)
Hi DS

here are several ANZ Taji patches.

All are velcro backed.

Phill

Number four is not for Iraq. It is a fake of 2 Cdo Alpha Deployment in Afghanistan.

Phill Lockett 22-12-19 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akiko (Post 495410)
Number four is not for Iraq. It is a fake of 2 Cdo Alpha Deployment in Afghanistan.

Thanks mate

Individual's words not mine.

"No worries Phill that is fine, these were made at the local embroidery at the Baghdad Diplomatic Support Centre used "unofficially" by the CDO in Baghdad."

This along with others have been verified from another member of the forum based on other info that I won't supply because of fakers.

Phill

akiko 22-12-19 10:52 PM

Hi Phil,
Interesting I wonder what year he states they were made in Iraq?

Phill Lockett 22-12-19 11:39 PM

Hi Akiko

Unfortunetley that is all the info I have.

As with any veteran I don't drill for exacts. I'm lucky to have the patch and others from his tours.

I am extremely diligent when it comes to "elite operator" patches. So cross reference with other sources helps.

I will caution other collectors on elite patch(s),with the amount of reproductions, 2nd/3rd generation, made for collector market and the like. It is getting harder unless you can acquire from a veteran and also those who have served alongside them.

Add to all of he above,GWOT now has been going on for a few years and individuals have multiple tours and get deployed in multiple campaigns.

It is not uncommon for operators to have the same patches made in different countries either for service or because they can-they do not care about the collector market.

There is one further point to make.

When a bearded dude with tattoos walks into a embroidery vendor store and has a design and asks for x amount of patches, the vendor will make up to what they have using a computerized multiple head juki machine.

If there is remaining thread,material etc , they will have extras made, then put on the board for sale.

They also have the design on software and can make more if the demand is there.

What the collector has to watch out for are ebay vendors who have them remade incountry which is a bugger , you just have to rely on reliable sources.

I'm not trying to defend this or any other theatre made elite patch just advising collectors on what is happening.

Phill

akiko 23-12-19 01:57 AM

Yes thanks Phill, I knew most of that but that's okay. I knew the maker of the original Alpha patches and have a copy of some of the drawings. I also have close up detailed photos of a lot of the patches but I don't release them or the info, years they were first made, by whom, how many were made for various regiments etc.
Some vets had a number of items made in Afghanistan, many unofficial and then brought spares back to flog here and that was about a decade ago.

Phill Lockett 23-12-19 02:55 AM

Akiko

I hear what you are saying, I can't speak on this patch as to exactly when it was made.

Original Drawings and documented first batches produced are great,however once units deploy overseas and said units require "patches" its off to the local bazaar or vendor at a base and voila we have another set(s) made, they might also have them designed/shaped differently for each rotation, which makes it difficult to track and it gets lost in time.

I am glad you are documenting these patches, hopefully one day you can release information (book) to preserve the units history.

The best and muddied waters are US ODA Team patches and thats another story.............

Phill

Phill Lockett 08-01-20 07:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2/1kiwi (Post 495236)
Here are mine, Taji 1 to current.

Questions?

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan

How say you on this NZ ATTI black velcro backed BPC Taji 5?

Phill

2/1kiwi 08-01-20 08:58 PM

Hi Phill,

Not Taji 5!

We had these done on TG Taji 3, 60 made, there is a slight difference in these later ones. I know where most of the originals are.

I sent an email about this to a web-sight to clarify and was ignored.

OC sought permission to copy the NZAATV shield and this was granted.

Tailor was asked not to make more...but Inshallah...

I have the original drawings for this patch and the coin that followed.

You wouldn't be the Phill i was talking to on FB a while back?

Cheers

Dan

Phill Lockett 09-01-20 05:05 AM

Thanks Dan

No not on social media too dangerous.

Will PM you

cheers

Phill