British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Military Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Poppy Appeal Pins (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59241)

mike_vee 29-03-24 09:08 AM

D-Day 80

2 Attachment(s)
Have just ordered this "Taxi Charity for Military Veterans" badge (via PoppyCabs) as it will go well with the various Poppy Cabs badges.

Mike_2817 29-03-24 11:59 AM

Ordered mine last night as well..

mike_vee 02-04-24 12:51 PM

Taxi Charity for Military Veterans

1 Attachment(s)
Badge arrive today :

It was designed by Taxi Charity volunteer, Susy Goodwin, to raise funds to take veterans to Normandy for the 80th anniversary of D-Day in June 2024.

mike_vee 02-04-24 12:54 PM

Unexpected surprise !

1 Attachment(s)
This badge arrived this morning , I've no idea who it is from but it is a nice addition to my collection.

If it was from a forum member "Thank You ! " :)

mike_vee 06-04-24 01:04 PM

Regional Poppy Pins !

Have been told that the RBL has decided there will be no "Regional" pins as they want to "maintain the Poppy as the hero and longstanding symbol of remembrance and minimise deviation from that as the core message" !

So no Manchester/Welsh/Irish/Isle of Man pins this year , what a load of corporate bullsh*t especially when Poppy Shop was selling Easter Bunny badges and fluffy decorations !

Rant over ! :mad:

mike_vee 10-04-24 08:57 AM

RBLI

1 Attachment(s)
A couple of nice pins from RBLI. :)

mike_vee 13-04-24 12:07 PM

Latest arrivals !

5 Attachment(s)
1. Cardboard (child's) Poppy - The British Legion produced "penny cardboard poppies" (1922-1924) which , according to newpapers at the time, were "being sold to schoolchildren only". The official one (see photo) is different to this one but it is possible that this version was also produced/sold at the same time period.

2. Paper "Haig's Fund" Poppy - Not sure if this is a British or Scottish poppy , date wise late 1940's or 1950's.

3. Small paper poppy - Same size as "childs" one but as yet I have no information if it is an "official" poppy or even if it was associated with the Poppy Appeal . No idea as to date.

mike_vee 13-04-24 12:12 PM

Haig's "other" fundraising .

2 Attachment(s)
During WW1 Earl Haig was also involved with the "Tobacco Fund" , not correct by modern standards but I'm sure the "troops" appreciated his efforts ! :D

mike_vee 26-04-24 09:36 AM

Fundraising !

Just had a quick read of the new (March 2024) RBL Membership Handbook and one item stood out :

"Fundraising - Counties/Districts and branches are not permitted to produce their own branded merchandise."

I think this is wrong , previously branches could apply to RBL for permission to produce items for their own branch or for specific events but since about 2018 they have clamped down and now it appears they have officially banned such items ! ?