British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Chaplain shoulder title (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81365)

Brian Conyngham 24-10-20 01:12 PM

Chaplain shoulder title

2 Attachment(s)
Hi All

This cast and sadly missing a lug Chaplains shoulder title came to light 2 weeks back in a box of WW1 to WW2 era badges, with a few other odds and ends. I dont have it as it belongs to a friend of mine and we have been speculating on its origins.

Clearly cast and rough is this a possible Indian produced badge, as there were a number of Indian Army badges in the box that came from a house clearance and into a second hand store where my friend purchased this box of badges.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards
Brian

Milmed 24-10-20 02:31 PM

Hi Brian,
I have an identical badge to this and was told it was c.WWII Rhodesian Chaplains s/t

Steven

Brian Conyngham 24-10-20 03:00 PM

Thanks Stephen

That is interesting. Will pass this info on to the owner. We have also been told on the FB BBF site it might be Indian?

Brian

CAM 25-10-20 11:55 AM

I have one too and seen them it described as 'Trench Art' / 'Trench Made' although that covers a multitude of sins. I have no further information.

Chris

peter monahan 25-10-20 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham (Post 526542)
Thanks Stephen

That is interesting. Will pass this info on to the owner. We have also been told on the FB BBF site it might be Indian?

Brian

I don't believe that the Indian Army HAD 'Chaplains' as such. The Other Ranks were Hindu, Muslim, Sikh, Jain and so on and many regiments had an imam or granthi or priest, but he would not have worn such a title.

I'm embarassed to say I'm not quite sure what arrangements were made for the spiritual welfare of the British [Christian] officers in the old IA but certainly there were no regimental chaplains for them. A puzzle.

CAM 25-10-20 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter monahan (Post 526628)
I don't believe that the Indian Army HAD 'Chaplains' as such. The Other Ranks were Hindu, Muslim, Sikh, Jain and so on and many regiments had an imam or granthi or priest, but he would not have worn such a title.

I'm embarassed to say I'm not quite sure what arrangements were made for the spiritual welfare of the British [Christian] officers in the old IA but certainly there were no regimental chaplains for them. A puzzle.

Or Indian Christians.

sapper533 26-10-20 07:05 AM

My guess would be British Chaplain in Khaki Drill in India
Regards
Sean

dumdum 26-10-20 10:09 AM

Hi

I saw one many years ago and was told that it was WW1, desert made, much like many of the caps/ collars and titles cast in the "soukh"....

Brian Conyngham 26-10-20 03:29 PM

Thanks all for your input, much appreciated.

Brian

RAChD 24-10-21 09:23 AM

The Christians in the Indian Army had the military branch of the Indian Ecclesiastical Establishment attached for their spiritual uplift, guidance and welfare.