British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Early R.A.F INSIGNIA YOUR HELP PLEASE (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72046)

NEMO 07-02-19 10:51 AM

Early R.A.F INSIGNIA YOUR HELP PLEASE

2 Attachment(s)
just picked these up an was wondering what your opinions are please ? the design is quite different to the war time examples I havethey have the look of earlier styles ?any thoughts please ?

Frank Kelley 11-02-19 04:47 PM

Odd looking eagles, the necks have more of a swan appearance!

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEMO (Post 467970)
just picked these up an was wondering what your opinions are please ? the design is quite different to the war time examples I havethey have the look of earlier styles ?any thoughts please ?

Phil2M 11-02-19 04:57 PM

Having little knowledge of these badges, given the odd looking necks, I would have assumed one of two things, either:

a. They are reproductions.
or
b. They are locally (bazaar) made.

Most bizarre indeed.

NEMO 11-02-19 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 468586)
Odd looking eagles, the necks have more of a swan appearance!

Hi Frank - swans my thoughts exactly and a very subservient swan ..... thanks always for your input

NEMO 11-02-19 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil2M (Post 468588)
Having little knowledge of these badges, given the odd looking necks, I would have assumed one of two things, either:

a. They are reproductions.
or
b. They are locally (bazaar) made.

Most bizarre indeed.

HI Phil , Thanks for your thoughts , definitely not copies , I know these were cut from a tatty service dress , and they seem machine made ? possibly commonwealth ? wil add clearer pics.

Phil2M 11-02-19 10:19 PM

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply or suggest that they are. It was just my inexperienced observation of the odd design, that if I had found them in a box or on a stall, thats what I would have thought.

Phil

dragon166 11-02-19 11:30 PM

Michael can you post a pic of the backs. I think they are bazaar made looking more like Vultures and using white embroidery. They are unlike any other commonwealth badges I have seen. What was the service dress they were removed from - any labels?
Dave

GTB 12-02-19 08:56 AM

Could these be indicative of albatrosses? (The eagle v albatross polemic)?

GTB

Frank Kelley 12-02-19 01:31 PM

Can you please show me an AMWO, AMMO, AdWO or AdMO that actually contains any reference to an albatross?:confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTB (Post 468651)
Could these be indicative of albatrosses? (The eagle v albatross polemic)?

GTB

leigh kitchen 12-02-19 01:48 PM

https://youtu.be/1PJix23IeF8

manchesters 12-02-19 02:36 PM

:D:D:D

NEMO 12-02-19 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil2M (Post 468632)
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply or suggest that they are. It was just my inexperienced observation of the odd design, that if I had found them in a box or on a stall, thats what I would have thought.

Phil

No apology needed PHIL , ALWAYS value your opinions , sorry my self if i sounded abrupt im just convinced they are original they were salvaged from a serge L.A.C tunic that`s all I know but trust the guy who sold them me - better pics to follow !

NEMO 12-02-19 05:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
more pics will takea better pic of the rear in normal day light.

NEMO 12-02-19 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragon166 (Post 468640)
Michael can you post a pic of the backs. I think they are bazaar made looking more like Vultures and using white embroidery. They are unlike any other commonwealth badges I have seen. What was the service dress they were removed from - any labels?
Dave

HI the actual bird is in light blue cloth , i will try and get you normal light pics as the rear pic makes it look hand done .

Frank Kelley 13-02-19 08:17 AM

Amusing certainly, but, nothing whatsoever to do with what I would like to be shown, although, it does make very clear indeed that an albatross is a "bloody sea bird" and appears to look nothing like an eagle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 468665)