British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Navy and Royal Marines (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   RNMBR (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19996)

David Moore 08-10-11 08:24 PM

Recently aquired RNMBR badges

4 Attachment(s)
Hello, I would like to share images of some RNMBR badges I recently aquired. They came from the family of a local man who had worked at sea for most of his life. Included in the group is a cap badge of the Blue Anchor line. They suffered the loss of the liner Waratah off South Africa in 1909, with the loss of 211 lives; the company never recovered and its assets were bought by P&Q in 1910.

Dave Moore

Sonofacqms 08-10-11 09:33 PM

RNMBR

Lovely stuff David, nice to see a real RNMBR badge.

Thanks Rob

David Moore 08-10-11 09:56 PM

Hi Rob, I had to look twice and pinch myself when I saw them in the shop. These are a very happy addition to my collection!!!!!!

Dave

Phil2M 08-10-11 10:02 PM

Hi Dave,

That RNMBR is the dogs danglies. Fantastic find, well done Dave.

Regards
Phil

David Moore 09-10-11 07:50 AM

I thought you would like it Phil; I'm over the moon!!!!

Dave

royston 14-10-11 09:26 AM

RNMBR

2 Attachment(s)
Hi David

Great find. Just to inform anyone who is interested in RNMBR badges, that there are two distinct styles of badges, at least for the MBR badge. One with a curved prop' and one more oval. The photograph shows both designs being worn at the same time by different ratings.

Also the Naval Museum in Plymouth Dockyard has examples of a single anchor with MB either side of it, MM either side of it and one with MB with a C above the anchor. I have never seen examples of these except in the stock book and, since they came from the old Victualling Yard, they are probably the original design.

John

David Moore 14-10-11 04:53 PM

Bullion v red cotton

Helo John, thanks for the information. Would I be right in assuming that bullion badges were worn by Petty officers, or were they worn on best uniform by all ratings?

Dave

royston 14-10-11 09:03 PM

Dave

Best Uniform by all ratings. Note what appears to be a PO's badge, is in fact a CPO's badge. CPO's acquired the laurel leaves in 1920, thereafter, PO's wore what had been the CPO's badge.

PO's would have worn the red cap badge, along with other ratings, unless they were of the Executive Branch (Seamen)

John

NEMO 14-10-11 10:39 PM

Superb stuff - many thanks for taking the time to share , regards ,Michael

Phil2M 14-10-11 11:53 PM

I certainly do Dave, really is very nice, Im quite jealous.

Phil

NEMO 15-10-11 07:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
HI good evening , to follow on , heres a pic from my collection.

hope is of interest , regards ,Michael.

royston 15-10-11 07:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi

Two more photographs for interest. Chief Motor Mechanic and Chief Petty Officer Motor Boat Reserve with wife/girlfriend.

John

David Moore 16-10-11 08:48 AM

Thankyou Michael and John for posting your fantastic photographs. This has turned into an extremly interesting and informative thread, which I have thoroughly enjoyed. Thanks again.

Happy hunting Dave.

royston 16-10-11 12:37 PM

Dave

One interesting action by the RNMBR, which you may not be aware of was the battle on Lake Tanganyika between two 6 ponder armed ex Thames motor boats named Mimi and Toutou. The boats were carried overland to the lake by rail & road from South Africa . There they took part in an action with the German ship Kingani, which surrendered with the loss of life of a gunner, the captain, a warrant officer and three native seamen. The ship sank in shallow water, but was refloated three days later and name Fifi. There was some farce in the action as mentioned in the second reference.

Reference: The Auxiliary Patrol by E Keble Chatterton.

The Guinness book of Naval Blunders by Geoffrey Regan

RCN 16-10-11 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royston (Post 137650)
Dave

There was some farce in the action as mentioned in the second reference.

Reference:
The Guinness book of Naval Blunders by Geoffrey Regan

I just read this one & thought it was great!

Bryan