British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   RE SOUTH AFRICA (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69151)

Investment 07-08-18 11:52 AM

RE SOUTH AFRICA

5 Attachment(s)
Hello,
Could the experts in the South African section kindly help me with regards to this RE SOUTH AFRICA badge. I would be interested to learn in what period this badge was worn and who wore it and if it's a shoulder title. The badge measures 48 mm in width and 24 mm in height. The badge is stamped J.R.GAUNTLONDON. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I'm sorry, but presently the badge is unavailable for sale.
Many thanks,
Invest

Frank Kelley 07-08-18 01:00 PM

Circa 1916-19 shoulder title, possibly 1915, worn by the South African Signal Company, Royal Engineers, a nice thing.

Investment 07-08-18 02:48 PM

Hello Frank,
Many thanks for your quick response regarding the shoulder title, it's greatly appreciated :-)
Cheers,
Invest

Brian Conyngham 08-08-18 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Investment (Post 450736)
Hello,
Could the experts in the South African section kindly help me with regards to this RE SOUTH AFRICA badge. I would be interested to learn in what period this badge was worn and who wore it and if it's a shoulder title. The badge measures 48 mm in width and 24 mm in height. The badge is stamped J.R.GAUNTLONDON. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I'm sorry, but presently the badge is unavailable for sale.
Many thanks,
Invest

Very desirable....seldom seen these days, only seen 3 in the last 10 years out here in SA.

Sold one a few years back, regretted it for awhile but was fortunate to acquire another last year. This one is staying in the collection!

Brian

manchesters 08-08-18 02:06 PM

Lovely badge and new to me.

I am a little confused as to whether its a British RE or SA Engineer Corps related badge.

From reading how Frank described it am I right in assuming its part of the British Army?

regards

Brian Conyngham 08-08-18 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 450818)

I am a little confused as to whether its a British RE or SA Engineer Corps related badge.

From reading how Frank described it am I right in assuming its part of the British Army?

regards

Simon

South African but they under control of the RE much in the same way the SA Heavy Artillery fell under the RGA. No SA Troops in France acted independently, all served directly under British control unlike in East Africa and GSWA.

Brian

manchesters 08-08-18 02:14 PM

Oh, thanks Brian, I understand.

Cant find it in Owen's book, is it there?

regards

Brian Conyngham 08-08-18 02:50 PM

Yes it is, cannot remember where but is there.

Could be where the WW1 badges are?

shahldm 09-08-18 01:17 AM

O350 ... in an odd place ... must have arrived late and been added with a mix match of different units.

Investment 09-08-18 03:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
After some further searching I found an image in Reginald H. W. Cox's book, "Military Badges Of The British Empire 1914-18'', showing the badge amongst the South African Shoulder Titles on Page 347, Plate 21.

manchesters 09-08-18 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shahldm (Post 450855)
O350 ... in an odd place ... must have arrived late and been added with a mix match of different units.

Thanks

Frank Kelley 19-08-18 08:16 AM

Hello Simon,
Sorry completely forgot about this thread, yes, in effect, part of the British Army, at the disposal of the War Office almost from their inception, certainly after their arrival here, with attached ASC members to operate their MT.
Interestingly, one of their first jobs was actually here too, as a result of the very severe winter of 1916, much of the GPO and Railway companies telegraphs, across the midlands, had been either destroyed or badly damaged, the Company turned to assist in the repair work.
A real busman's holiday, as a great proportion of it's members had been engineers employed at the Union Post Office.
Regards Frank

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 450818)

regards

manchesters 19-08-18 08:36 AM

Thanks Frank