British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   BOUGHT ON LINE (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26366)

engr9266 30-07-12 04:37 PM

BOUGHT ON LINE

2 Attachment(s)
I thought I would like to share with you my two latest buy's from e bay. Both good dealers. The first is a Judge Advocate General’s beret bullion badge. I never knew there was one.
The other is a RAOC officer gilt & enamel badge with the motto "SUA TONANTI TELA" which was only worn for a short while. There was one at Bromley on Sunday with collar's going for £110, this one without collar's and a third of the price. There is some slight damage to the enamel.

Phillip Herring 30-07-12 05:14 PM

Is the JAG badge bullion? It looks like thread to me.

Phil

Mike Jackson 30-07-12 05:39 PM

Is the JAG badge really bullion or is it embroidered in yellow cotton? And is it a beret badge or an arm badge? There may be images from the Nuremburg Trials that give a clue?
Mike

engr9266 30-07-12 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phillip Herring (Post 177430)
Is the JAG badge bullion? It looks like thread to me.

Phil

Phil, I don't have said badge in my possession yet but yes it does look like thread. Here is the seller's description-"J.A.G. - Judge Advocate General Officer's Embroidered Beret Badge - SCARCE"
I think I was over keen in my description.
Mike, I am sure that it is a beret badge and I don't think that the seller, robinmcg11, who I buy quite a few embroidered badges from would mislead the buyer deliberately.
But thanks for your comments and I will try to find a image of one some where.

Mike Jackson 30-07-12 08:15 PM

JAG

I stress that I do agree with your comments about the vendor. And I can hazard a guess at the identity of the (impeccable) source of this particular badge.
Mike

wasaraftype 16-02-20 02:42 PM

Judge Advocate General patch

1 Attachment(s)
I have just come across this thread from a few years ago. I also have this patch and can confirm it is thread not bullion. It measures 79mm x 57mm.

Too me, it is definitely too big for a beret and would look oversized on a hat. I am inclined to think it would more likely have been worn on the sleeve or on a sash/armband of some kind.

The actual colour of my patch is a little darker than the images shown.

It would be interesting to know if this patch was only worn by the Army because of the khaki backing or if it was a general issue which included the RAF as well.

wasaraftype 16-02-20 02:45 PM

JAG

1 Attachment(s)
The rear image of the patch didn't show so I will try again

engr9266 16-02-20 04:24 PM

From the IWM website - Headdress badge for the Service Dress cap of Judicial Staff of the Judge Advocate General, being a Tudor (King’s) crown in the upper angle of a pair off maces, the crown’s cap red enamel, remainder gilt. Captioned: “Service Dress Cap”. “(NB – Should be St. Edwards Crown). Entry in pencil to erase on receipt of SD Cap with St. Edwards Crown. (Initials). 24/x/56”. Two loops to reverse.

wasaraftype 16-02-20 05:58 PM

JAG

Hi Jerry

This patch is mentioned in 'Nobbs' notes in section 'I' sub para 12/3.

It states: ''A shoulder flash worn in active service by J.A.G Staff. We do not know the size of the badge, or the colouring"

The drawn image is as the patch I have submitted but does have a QC vice the KC as the 2 examples shown in this thread.

Regards

engr9266 16-02-20 10:16 PM

I have now renamed mine as a arm badge.
Jerry