British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Military Buttons (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   19th (Irish) King's County Militia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53458)

Roy 02-05-16 11:05 PM

19th (Irish) King's County Militia

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Chaps,

Well I just had a real cracker turn up...:)

Large (24mm) Irish 19th King's County Militia gilt button by I Nutting Covent Garden.

Wonderful condition this one. I'm lead to believe the date is 1783 - 1820.

Some initial photos shared here for your enjoyment and comments.

Cheers, Roy.

Cribyn 03-05-16 10:50 AM

Hello Roy

You do manage to find them don't you! Another cracking button!

I don't know whether you have Joe McDonnell's book or not, if so I am telling you what you already know! Joe gives the King's County militia the precedence number of 19 between 1793 and 1833 (98th King's County Rifles from then until 1881 when they became 3rd Leinster Regiment.

Joe illustrates two early buttons, one gilt with the '19' in the centre the same as yours and another one without the '19' but still with the King's County title. This latter one is in pewter and Joe has listed it prior to the one with '19' in the centre. Not sure whether this means it is an earlier pattern button or just the version for other ranks who would have had pewter buttons, of course, not gilt or silver.

Roger

Roy 03-05-16 01:45 PM

Hi Roger,

Thank you for that. Yes a lovely button and I'm thrilled to have it. I do some scans of the book mentioned but not an actual hard copy yet.

I'm rather surprised at the large size of this button. Not at all a problem but at nearly 24mm it is somewhat larger than all the early examples I have.

Cheers, Roy.

Roy 03-05-16 06:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Roger (and anyone else).

I have seen reference to the backmark as J (nutting) is this a mistake?

Looking at my example it clearly (to my eyes) looks like an 'I'.

Just added this beauty to my album and took some better pics, so some more showing the back are attached for interest.

Cheers, Roy.

Cribyn 03-05-16 07:12 PM

Hello Roy

I can't recall ever having seen a 'J' Nutting backmark but it is possible.

Back in the 'olden' days an 'I' and a 'J' were commonly interchangeable as they were considered the same letter or something! Perhaps we have a classical scholar who can explain that the Greek (or Latin or Hebrew?) 'I' was in use long before the letter 'J', hence the old spelling of 'Jesus' as 'Iesus'. I have probably got that completely the wrong way round but I hope you get my drift! I should have paid more attention in school Latin lessons!

Coming back to earth, the button maker 'Pearse & Co' can be found as 'I & B Pearse' as well as 'J & B Pearse', exactly the same people.

Roger

Roy 03-05-16 07:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Roger,

Thanks for that.

Here is a screen shot of the reference I found.

Cheers, Roy.

Cribyn 03-05-16 07:59 PM

Hello Roy

I would guess that your screenshot is from the excellent little book 'Military Button Manufacturers from the London Directories 1800-1899' by Peter Nayler.

Packed full of very useful information but bear in mind that the entries are from the London Directories of the time and list business names and addresses and this is not necessarily going to be the same information that appears on button backmarks.

Joseph Nutting is indeed the maker of your button but, as I mentioned earlier, I have never seen a 'J Nutting' backmark, he always seems to have used the 'I' spelling of his Christian name on backmarks.

Roger

Roy 03-05-16 08:03 PM

Thanks Roger,

Very helpful indeed and clears that up for me.

It certainly isn't boring this button collecting lark...:)

Cheers, Roy.

BROOKIES 03-05-16 09:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Roy.

Here you go some Anglesey buttons, some cleaned especially for you and one tarnished.

Ta

Jonathan.

Attachment 148300Attachment 148301Attachment 148302

Roy 03-05-16 09:48 PM

Hi Jonathan,

Lovely button old chap..:)

Thanks for sharing those mate, some crackers there. More examples for me to look out for..!

Cheers, Roy.

Cribyn 04-05-16 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BROOKIES (Post 358492)
Roy.

Here you go some Anglesey buttons, some cleaned especially for you and one tarnished.

Ta

Jonathan.

Attachment 148300Attachment 148301Attachment 148302

Very nice Jonathan, thanks very much for showing these. I have one myself (the middle one) and seen drawings of the other two but it is good to see them in the flesh, so to speak!

Roger

Lazio 12-09-18 08:36 PM

just reading this thread. I haven't got the book on irish militia buttons but I think if the button in the book has a crown with kings county written underneath then this is an early pattern which was in Gilt and pewter.

Lazio 14-09-18 11:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Kings County officer gilt button