British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   The Scout Badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64085)

High Wood 03-01-19 01:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Not sure if this is a Scout badge but, if it is, it must be quite an early example.

manchesters 03-01-19 01:17 PM

That is a Fleur de Lys, but NOT a British Army Scout badge.

A religious token, a brooch perhaps.

regards

High Wood 03-01-19 01:46 PM

Yes, indeed, the fixing prongs are certainly not like anything I have seen on a military badge. It clearly has some age and as the Fleur de Lys has been used for a very long time, it is very difficult to date accurately.

Frank Kelley 15-01-19 08:18 AM

Indeed, certainly not what I would class as a worsted Army Scout Badge, I certainly do not have any cloth examples, but, I still hope that perhaps someone can actually show some on here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 463994)
It is unusual, both the khaki fabric and the white fabric, ("4x2" rifle cleaning flannelette?) being raw edged, the whole quite homemade and amateurish but detail on the white FdL is machine stitched which seems an unexpected detail to what really is a rough and ready little badge.
I'm wondering now given its size and general appearance if it is a representation of of the 47th Division's snipers badge rather than of the Scout's badge.

grumpy 16-01-19 08:07 PM

Somewhere in the attic but where?

In about 1985 Denis Edwards let me have all his duplicate scout badges for a very modest fee. In addition to the 4 gilding metal versions and the India Pattern, there were several worsted ones. I certainly have not parted with them, but they are, at best, demi-official because such were never authorised.They were most certainly worn, of course.

leigh kitchen 10-02-19 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 460656)
I wish I had this example, worn a member of the Hussars, lovely big badge.

8th King's Royal Irish Hussars, according to a captioned postcard I have of the image.

Frank Kelley 10-02-19 12:45 PM

Indeed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 468403)
8th King's Royal Irish Hussars, according to a captioned postcard I have of the image.

Rob Miller 25-04-19 03:48 PM

I have picked up a nice photograph of the 1st Royal Devon Yeomanry taken in 1910 or just before, the scout badge is showing up very well, would this be polished brass or white metal?

Rob

more pictures here

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=3481

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ctureid=168072

leigh kitchen 25-04-19 03:52 PM

Nice photo - "British Army Proficiency Badges" notes the badges as being produced in brass and in fabrics, no mention of a white metal version.

manchesters 25-04-19 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 476678)
Nice photo - "British Army Proficiency Badges" notes the badges as being produced in brass and in fabrics, no mention of a white metal version.

See post 42.

No way of telling which he wore but more inclined to think the GM version in khaki and WM in Full Dress/WO dress.

regards

grumpy 25-04-19 04:30 PM

White metal was not an Ordnance item but I have no trouble believing that they existed and were worn: the TF and Yeomanry were not known for strict adherence to pattern and were virtually self-sufficient for funding except for essentials.

Frank Kelley 26-04-19 02:46 PM

"White metal was not an Ordnance item?:confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by grumpy (Post 476685)
White metal was not an Ordnance item but I have no trouble believing that they existed and were worn: the TF and Yeomanry were not known for strict adherence to pattern and were virtually self-sufficient for funding except for essentials.

PathfinderDave 25-10-19 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn (Post 460998)
Simon,
Thanks, I was aware, hence I described it as a fleur de lys.

Tim

Regarding the attachment, what book is that from? Only asking purely out of interest, and so I could reference that book in future.

Thanks

leigh kitchen 25-10-19 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PathfinderDave (Post 490711)
Regarding the attachment, what book is that from? Only asking purely out of interest, and so I could reference that book in future.

Thanks

"British Army Proficiency Badges" by D Langley and D Edwards.

grumpy 25-10-19 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 476791)
"White metal was not an Ordnance item?:confused:

The white metal scout badges do not appear anywhere in official references such as Clothing Regs, Priced Vocabs, or the RACD ledgers.

The VR and TF were semi-autonomous. They were also obliged to have SOME of their uniforms and insignia in silver. It is very possible that they funded white metal badges ...... somebody did!